Membership 1.0.5 Configuration

I've gone through the instructions for configuring the Membership v1.0.5 plugin but am getting the same error over and over again. In step 2 of the signup process the user is asked to select a level. I get the list of membership levels but no way for the user to select them (see screenshot). Is there a setting I've missed?

How do I set up the membership plugin for new blog subscriptions? I'm not using this for content access subscriptions but using WordPress 3.0.4. multi-site as a blog subscription service like edublog. Help is appreciated.

Also, how do you purge a deactivated user from the database?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya globalpremier,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

I get the list of membership levels but no way for the user to select them

Are your levels and subscriptions all set to public and active?

How do I set up the membership plugin for new blog subscriptions? I'm not using this for content access subscriptions but using WordPress 3.0.4. multi-site as a blog subscription service like edublog

Honestly, if this is your goal, I'd take a look at the Supporter plugin. A customized version of this runs Edublogs and, in fact, Supporter was designed for this exact reason. Check it, here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/supporter

As to purging a deactivated user from the database, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You can delete them in the wp-admin and otherwise I'd leave the database (unless you have a definite need for it - in which case you'll have to remove it manually).

Hope this helps. Let us know!

Thanks!

• Tammy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi there -

I'm having the same problem @globalpremier described -- a list of membership levels in Step 2 but no way for the user to select and then pay.

All levels and subscriptions are set to public and active.

Any idea what I may have missed? I have no idea where to place that paypal subscribe button image, so assume I've missed a step (I've read through the installation instructions multiple times).

Thanks!

• Tammy

Hi, Barry - No! I missed that I had to activate that too. Done now, thanks.

But then another issue came up: PayPal Express seems to require a PayPal account before payment. I've attached two screenshots related to this.

So is it not possible to use Membership with PayPal Express without buyers having a paypal account? That would be a deal-breaker for me, unfortunately, as more than 50% of mine will not want to have to have paypal accounts to join.

The 2nd screenshot is from inside my PayPal account, where "optional" is enabled but there is a comment that the paypal account optional feature isn't available with subscriptions...

Thanks!

Tammy

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

PayPal Express seems to require a PayPal account before payment. I've attached two screenshots related to this.

Paypal subscriptions are reliant on the user having a paypal account. The subscriptions are controlled and managed on the paypal side, so they need an account in order to allow the user to be able to view and cancel any subscriptions they have set up.

• Tammy

Barry, thanks for the replies over the weekend - very good of you.

I've tried to find the answer to this in other threads but haven't: Do you know if having a PayPal Pro account will allow Membership plugin subscriptions to work without requiring the member to have a PayPal account? In other words, I can't tell if the limitation is on Membership's end or on the PayPal express end.

Thanks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Do you know if having a PayPal Pro account will allow Membership plugin subscriptions to work without requiring the member to have a PayPal account?

As far as I'm aware, anything that uses PayPal for subscriptions requires the user to have an account as the membership site (in this scenario) is not allowed to store the credit card details of the user - they must be stored securely by PayPal, and as the payments are recurring - an account to manage them is required.

The next big update of the membership plugin is going to have a system to allow it to implement it's own subscription system using "single" paypal payments - this will get around the paypal account requirement as single payments can be just credit card payments, *but* means that users will have to return to the site on regular periods to renew their account - make the next payment

• Tammy

That's really helpful to know -- I'd so much like to use your plugin because of the ease of use and great customer support.

In the meantime (before the next update), is there any way to set things up that doesn't use subscription but still "integrates" paypal and membership? I don't need recurring payments from anyone, just a one-time signup fee and then automatic access to their online course.

Thanks again,
    Tammy

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@Tammy - if you set up the subscription with either an infinite or finite single payment the gateway *should* output just a single payment button rather than a subscription one - it's a while since i coded that initial paypal gateway, but if it doesn't then shout and I'll check to see if there is a way to force it.

• Tammy

Hi again, Barry -

I want to set it up as a finite single payment but maybe I didn't set it up correctly. Can you confirm for me where I convey that I want a single payment instead of recurring?

Here's a screenshot showing the finite setting I've put in that isn't working with PayPal. BTW, there's no second level after the first one ends.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.