Membership 2 causing the whole backend to crash

I'm trying to install Membership 2 on my site and it's causing the whole backend to crash.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ian,

I hope you're well today!

I understand that the Membership 2 Pro doesn't work for you and is causing the site crash. Could you however please elaborate a bit on what exactly is happening? For example:

- are you installing Membrship 2 Pro "manually" (from downloaded archive) or via our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin?
    - what does the "crash" mean here - does the site become inaccessible, you can't login or is it slow?
    - are there any errors printed to the screen?

It would be great if you could share as much details of what exactly did you do and what happened as possible.

Please advise!

Best regards,
    Adam

• iPolitics

We’ve tried several ways to get it running.

We were running the old version of the plugin, simply called membership, and using the WPMUDEV plugin tried to do the update.

This cause the wp-admin to stop working. It showed nothing but a blank page ( checked the html content and it was empty ). Once I deactivated the plugin, it started working again.

Once that failed, I used an FTP connection to delete the files and tried to install it again with the WPMUDEV plugin, while not doing an update, but to the same results.

I finally tried to install it by zipping it and manually installing it.

I have gotten the old plugin working again, I had made a backup and manually installed it.

• Milan

Hello Ian

I think you got Membership 2 Pro installed on your end right ? if not then Would you be able to send in your FTP and wp-admin credentials so I could take a look?

You can send the info through our private contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Milan Savaliya"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Once we have this information then I can debug the issue further

Look forward to hearing back!
    Cheers,
    Milan

• Patricia

The same thing happened to me. So I went into my cpanel, and removed the plug-in. (Yes it was the latest membership pro 2) Then I tried reinstalling it again and immediately it crashed again. Also , I'm pretty poor at programming (I'm an artist, not a computer programmer) and in order to set it up right, I was dismayed to discover that I had to set up a bunch of shortcode for the pages. (i.e. registration, welcome, etc.) And the shortcode list that I was to refer to was not thorough enough for me to be able to implement. The makers of this software plug-in would be a lot more successful if they were to be more user-friendly to the artists-types rather than just cater to programmer-types. For me, I would appreciate it this process of implementing the short code could be more clearly explained, complete with info on how to open and close the code snippet. It would be extremely helpful if the parts in which we are supposed to input our own custom information was a different color. This is not a hard thing to do. It just simply seems like there's an assumption that everyone "should" know this. Yes I wish I knew more, and I'm doing my best to acquire coding knowledge, but we all can't be geniuses in areas of computer programming and multimedia visual arts! Software makers should understand that we are all inundated with new technology and make it as simple as possible knowing that it should not be their customer's life-focus to become an expert their app. Bottom line is I wasted a day trying to make it work and had to give up and go another route.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Patricia,

Sorry to hear you had issues with Membership 2 plugin, however this thread is over a year old and there were a lot of changes since then so the issues are most likely not related.
    If you need help with this please start a new chat and we'll gladly investigate it further for you.

About the shortcodes, there's a Membership 2 > Help > Shortcodes panel in the plugin that contains all the shortcodes, available attributes and examples of how they can be used.
    Also, if you click on quick setup once plugin is installed it will create Membership pages for you with the shortcodes already in place.

Shortcodes are popular part of WordPress and there are many guides out there that explain their usage, you can find in-depth guide here:
    https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/05/wordpress-shortcodes-complete-guide/

Hope this clears up some things for you and let us know if you need any assistance.

Best regards,
    Predrag