Membership 2 downloads

Hi there,

I need to create user area for my site, where registered users can download files. There are 2 types of files 1) purchaced files (only for users that have paid for them) and 2) free files available to all. Can I do this with membership 2 somehow?

• Bojan Radonic
    • Head of Support

Hey there rhodezman,

How are you doing today?

There are several different ways of doing that and it would depend on how are you actually going to show these files.

In general you'd have to create two memberships first. Since you're mentioning all registered users one of these two membership should be "Default" membership, this membership is automatically applied to all registered users on your site so they don't have to sign up for any membership but rather just be registered on your site as users. To create one simply select Default membership when creating memberships in Membership 2 -> Memberships -> Create New, see screenshot:

After that you'd want to create paid membership for your other files that would be available for paid users.

Now with regards to the protection rules that would depend on how you are displaying these download files on your site? If these are simply going to be added on the page you can protect parts of pages using membership shortcodes to wrap content, check screenshot on where to find shortcodes:

Other way of doing this if these files are in your media library is to use Media Protection add-on that allows you to protect specific media files, first go to Membership 2 -> Add-ons and activate Media Protection add-on, after that click "Details" in Media Protection box and activate "Protect Individual Media files". With this done you'll be able to protect media files with specific memberships in Membership 2 -> Protection Rules -> Media Library Items, please see screenshot:

Hope this helps and if you have additional questions please let me know :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Bojan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.