Membership 2 Form Fields

I'm trying to add some custom fields to the Membership 2 registration form. In the Form field settings I see three columns - Field Name, Registration Form, Profile Form. I'm assuming the Registration Form column is for the fields that are actually on the registration form. But what is the "Profile Form" column - what are those settings for, and what do they do?

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Aubrey Williams

Hope you're fine today!

Profile Form is the form that allows members to edit their details when they are already registered and logged in. Users can access this form from the account page or from any other place where you're using [ms-membership-account] shortcode. There you can see the Personal details section and when you click on Edit Details you'll see the Profile Form.

If you have any additional questions please let me know and I’ll be happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Aubrey Williams

Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Unfortunately, Membership 2 Pro doesn't allow you to change labels of fields in profile form. You only can set custom labels for certain fields (first name, last name, username, email, and password) of the registration form when you're using shortcode [ms-membership-register-user]. More about how to use this shortcode you can find at your Wordpress Dashboard > Membership 2 > Help > Shortcodes.

Also, as a workaround, I can suggest you to use Ultimate Branding plugin. You'd need to do the following:
    1. Install and activate Ultimate Branding plugin
    2. Go to Branding > Dashboard and activate "Network Wide Text Change" module.
    3. Go to Branding > Text Change and add new text change item and fill it with needed data.

As an example to change Email to Email Address, you'd need to set the following:

Also, note, if you'd like to make this change only for Membership plugin, you'd need to set Text domain -> membership2.

If you have any additional questions please let me know and I’ll be happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• Aubrey Williams

Ok I think you're saying I cannot edit the text of the field names. What about adding additional fields - is that possible?

If I have to use that Ultimate Branding plugin you suggested, are you saying I can edit the firm text that way?

I only joined wpmu dev for the ability to charge monthly membership fees and block certain content to non-members. There are fields of the registration form I need to edit or add. If I cannot easily do that, I'll have to cancel my wpmu dev account and find a different solution.

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi Aubrey Williams

Hope you're having a good day!

Ok I think you're saying I cannot edit the text of the field names. What about adding additional fields - is that possible?

By using Profile Fields add-on you can add only fields those are listed at Membership 2 > Settings > Profile Fields section and it's not possible to add your own custom fields.
    The easiest way to add custom fields is to use Cimy Users Extra Fields plugin, that can be integrated with membership 2 form easy and can add as many fields (required or optional) you want in Membership 2 registration form.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/cimy-user-extra-fields/

If I have to use that Ultimate Branding plugin you suggested, are you saying I can edit the firm text that way?

With this plugin, you will be able to replace names of the fields with any other text.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• thomas

Hi
    I arrived here by searching how to adapt the membership form. And I must say I'm kinda disappointed. All serious plugins available for membership have a form builder, why not Membership Pro, seriously.
    I simply don't need some field (biographic ???) but need some like VAT number.
    I have read what you wrote as an answer but it's definitely not a good answer to add more plugins for a common feature. It's kind of the same problem I had with Events +, i.e. very simple and usual customization not directly available. For quality plugins like you build, it's not only strange but also disturbing.
    [edit : I also discover that the simple function of approving a member also needs... an additional plugin, no need for you to post advise on security :wink: , again in a membership plugin within WPMUDEV, this should be a core feature. For the moment, the current plugin, as powerful it is, doesn't reach the good faithful plugin criterias for using it with my pro clients ]
    best

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi thomas

Hope you had a great weekend :slight_smile:

I totally understand your viewpoint, we're still working on improving our plugins' functionality, so any suggestions and our members' feedback are very valuable to us. If you have any ideas on what we can change or improve, please submit a feature request on our forum, so other users will be able to vote on this. More users will find this useful, better the chances of being added in future updates.

You can submit a feature request here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/

Just click on "Get Support" button and choose "Feature Request" section in the pop-up.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• BobfromCA

I need to create a membership site for a bowling organization. The home page and maybe a couple other pages will be open to the public. The rest will be for member bowling centers only.

After reading above, I'm not sure this plugin will work.

I need to customize the registration form to include Bowling Center, Business Address, Business website, Position, Phone, etc. Is this possible?

I need to approve all registrations to make sure they are indeed Bowling Association Members. Will I be able to Approve each registration?

If above is not possible, can you recommend a membership plugin that allows custom forms and registration approval?

Thanks,
    Bob

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi BobfromCA

Hope you're having a great day!

As I already mentioned in one of my previous posts, if you'd need to add any specific custom fields to the registration form, you can use the following plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/cimy-user-extra-fields/

Unfortunately, with Membership 2 Profiled Fields add-on you can add the only certain list of fields and it's not possible to create your own field.

Also, Membership 2 doesn't allow approve registered users, but as a workaround, you could try o use this plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/new-user-approve/

As an alternative solution, I can suggest the Ultimate Member plugin. It allows adding custom fields to the registration form and also it has a paid add-on that allows you to verify users.

Kind regards,
    Katya

• BobfromCA

Thank you Katya.... I was afraid of that.

Disappointing. I guess for selling products or courses WPMU DEV Membership Pro 2 works, but for actual membership sites, like Associations, Chamber of Commerces, etc.. Membership Pro 2 will not work.

If I have a business and want to provide a special section for employees only to have access to, Membership Pro 2 wouldn't work. So it is a Membership plugin but only if membership is open to everyone to join. Unless of course, you use 3rd party workaround plugins.

Now I know.

• Katya Tsihotska

Hi BobfromCA

If I have a business and want to provide a special section for employees only to have access to, Membership Pro 2 wouldn't work. So it is a Membership plugin but only if membership is open to everyone to join. Unless of course, you use 3rd party workaround plugins.

Actually, there are few ways to create a membership that's not open to everyone. I meant just that there is no way to approve registrations, but it's possible to create a private membership.

The first way is to make it private. You can do this when you creating membership by turn off the "Allow users to register for this membership" option

Or for existing membership, in the Details tab turn off the option "This membership is public".

In this case, this membership won't be visible on your site, but you will be able to manually assign it to needed users. Ex., you can create a "pre-moderated" membership and make it public, so everyone will be able to register for it, after verifying the registered users, you can manually assign this private membership.

The other way is to enable "Invitation Codes" add-on, create an invitation code and allow users to register for certain membership only by the invitation code

Hope it helps you a bit.

Kind regards,
        Katya

• Adrian

Membership 2 Pro is marketed by WPMU Dev as ”The most powerful, easy-to-use and flexible membership plugin for WordPress sites available.”

I have to say that's just not very honest and so far my experience with Membership 2 Pro has been a disappointing struggle.

How can you call it "the most powerful, easy-to-use and flexible" when basic features such as custom profile fields, editing field labels or member approval is missing?

• Ash

Hello Adrian

About custom field, this is doable by using some custom code, here is an example: https://gist.github.com/bappi-d-great/6ede4f0b9a524c80047e1801515f665b Though you will need a bit of programming knowledge to do so.

We can make a feature request for editing label but you can use our Ultimate Branding plugin or language file to add your own wording.

About member approval, well, as this is mainly planned for paid membership, so in a paid membership, there should not be any approval system. The member has already paid when he completes the registration, so there is no approval system. Though, you can use the invitation code addon to provide the code to those who you want to allow as members.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Adrian

About the profile fields: Yes, I did eventually find that code here but it was too late then, I've already given up on that and am building a solution with ACF instead.

As long as it's just a code snippet buried in a forum post it could as well be a missing feature. And it is contradicted by most other posts i found here saying it is not possible. The usual answer seems to be that custom fields requires BuddyPress, which I tried but it added another level of bloat and complexity to the management of the site, which wasn't worth it just for some extra fields.