MEMBERSHIP 2 hides membership renewal if more than one membership

The main membership in this site is a paid one. The Board and Administrators also get manually added to the Board and some to Admin memberships which are free. Recently when a Board member wanted to renew his paid membership, the renew prompt did not appear. His account showed that the membership was lapsed, but when he clicked on "Change" he only saw the two free memberships listed, no way to renew or pay for the paid one. I can duplicate this problem with my test.member. The workaround is to temporarily manually remove the free memberships for the user and then the renew forms appear, after they renewed, the free memberships are added again. Not good, but workable.

This is not your average membership site. The rules are very complex and the site is set up with another major plugin, Toolset to get all rules implemented. We have set up a duplicate site if you need access. Have disabled your dashboard, it interfered with something else in the site, but I can get you a login. Can also give you the login for the test.member to see for yourself. Or, perhaps it's some setting I missed. Please advise.

• Nithin

Hi Pixeldrummer,

Membership renew buttons only show for members who's account are shown are expired, I tested this in my system with a user having multiple memberships, and I was able to notice the Renew button in such case.

If you still don't see the renew button, and I suppose you don't have WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin installed in your duplicate site too? If yes, please send us your credentials, and the member info, so that we could give a closer look.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password) [FTP not a Requirement at the moment, but it might come handy]
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Pixeldrummer

Writing a reply to your response above took a long time. I needed to be specific and correct so that you can trouble-shoot. Please mention in your requests for this kind of reply that the form TIMES OUT and your image validation does too. So I had to start a new form and copy/paste my reply to you into the new form to get this done.
    You should have received my email to
    ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    Please confirm.

• Pixeldrummer

NITHIN: Try to login again. The account was disabled (default, didn't notice)
    pwd as given, un wpmu

KASIA: The addon is not enabled. These free memberships are assigned manually to a selected few. They don't and should not show up as an option. Only one membership is paid. Renewal has not been a problem until now. The login I sent is correct, but the account was disabled (sorry, didn't notice).

SUPPORT: If you are using the test.member I have set up for you it may help with your trouble-shooting. This is not your average membership site. Registration is by invitation and new registrants have their user profiles disabled until their application is approved by the board... and on and on.

• Nithin

Hey Pixeldrummer,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I checked your website, and I could see the issue what you have mentioned, the paid subscription wasn't showing. However, I could see that the test user has more that one membership assigned to it, but the Multiple Memberships add-on was disabled. So just to be sure users signup to your paid membership, and rest of the membership is added manually?

I tried to replicate the same in your system by creating a new user(wpmudev), and (wpmutest) but I wasn't able to replicate it. I added an expired paid membership, and then both private memberships and it seems to show all the memberships, and renew button for the expired one. Is this issue only specific to one user? Are you able to replicate the same for other users?

I even checked by testing this in my system, and I wasn't able to replicate any such issue. Could you please check these test membership, and please advise how you are adding these memberships, so that I could try to replicate this in my system, to have a better idea regarding this, and see whether this is a conflict in your system, or not.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Pixeldrummer

Spent some more time on this. What I found is true with the multiple memberships turned on or off!

In short the CIVITAS rules are that new members are invited by another member.

A form is filled in with some details, and (besides the CIVITAS Board) the INVITEE is sent notification of the invitation with instructions how to register (hidden page).
    When an INVITEE registers, their profile is created but blocked, their information is displayed on a protected page accessible only through the Board Membership.
    Board members can post comments and vote for or against the INVITEE.
    This information is retained in the INVITEE's profile, but only visible to Administrators.
    If the INVITEE is approved (they are notified), the block is removed and they can log in and purchase the membership.
    If they are rejected, they are notified, and their profile stays blocked.
    With me so far? One paid membership works as it should.

You can only test this by editing/back dating DATES in Edit Member. Not through Cancel in the Account.

Now the problem starts.
    1- WPMUDEV's paid membership expires on March 20, 2017.
    2- WPMUDEV wants to renew the paid membership the process is normal, the renewal form appears.
    3- WPMUDEV goes to the Conference, attends the AGM and is elected to the Board.
    4- WPMUDEV has not renewed and the CIVITAS Administrator adds the Civitas Board membership to WPMUDEV by clicking the check mark in the Edit Member dialog, the Expire Date remains March 20, 2017. WPMUDEV wants to renew the paid membership, the renewal form does not appear. (See picture 1)
    5- WPMUDEV has not renewed and the CIVITAS Administrator adds the Civitas Board membership to WPMUDEV by adding the Board membership to the membership bar in the list view WPMUDEV's paid membership AUTOMATICALLY RENEWS for a year from today. (See pictures 2 and 3) [image pos="2"]
    THAT IS A BUG. Actually going back quite a ways, I think I've noticed and reported this bug before, and now again in a different context.

So now that I've done some thorough testing for you. Please fix this for me, the renewal form being the priority.

• Pixeldrummer

THAT DID IT! What a relief. Thank you. I don't think I would have found it.

Now, please, would you follow up with the developer of this plugin that bug that has been there since I installed Membership 2 Pro on the site. I have written an manual for the admins of the site and I did mention in there that they should only edit members and memberships via the Edit dialog and ignore the membership bar. But you can't count on site owners/admins to follow these instructions. Perhaps the membership bar should be a visual reference only and not a shortcut feature that can trash a member's history renew a membership automatically... Please advise when you have news on this.

Thank you very much.

• Pixeldrummer

At the time I may or may not have written in about this particular bug. If all I've written is still on file, then you'll see I wrote a lot. I noted the importance of editing a member's membership status via the edit feature and to leave the 'membership blocks' in the list view alone. At the time there were so many problems I had to deal with, many with Membership, because the rules in the site were outside the box and the scope of the project stretched the limits. I was committed to the Membership 2 Pro plugin (beyond the point of return) that I had no time to keep reporting things that I could work around. Trust me, I found the bug, because we had to enter memberships manually to preserve their actual subscribe date from their live site. It became apparent that the sequence of steps to get this entered correctly had to be precise, otherwise the dates just didn't 'take'.

What I have confirmed now with an actual member, is that the history of a member (readable via the history icon on the right in the list) changes to today's date if you remove their membership by closing the blocks in the list view.
    1- Look at the history of a member
    [image pos="0"]

2- See memberships in the list view

3- Remove all membership blocks from the list view and view history again

You'll see the status is correctly deactivated, but the Subscribed on dates changed to today's date and the expired account on reactivation now would be valid until next year. For some reason the Civitas Board membership Subscribed on date remains correct. If you didn't know what that member's actual history was and they want to renew their membership, you can't recreate it.

One more thing... Whatever I have reported and pointed to for this Membership plugin, I don't recall to have ever gotten feedback about the status of a bug or feature that was sent to the developer.

• Nithin

Hi Pixeldrummer,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

You'll see the status is correctly deactivated, but the Subscribed on dates changed to today's date and the expired account on reactivation now would be valid until next year.

I was able to notice such anomalies in my system too, but I'm not able to replicate this always in my system. I'm bringing this into developers attention, asking to give a closer look, so that he would be able to give a better idea regarding this.

Will keep you posted once I get an update about it's status, and a feedback from the developer. Thank you for bringing this into our attention. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Pixeldrummer

Thank you. I would like to mention that I don't have much confidence in whether you are being able to replicate a anomaly in your system or not. I can replicate it every time in mine and it is far beyond a basic installation. I built a site for a client who is expecting it to work for a few years at least. When I selected Membership 2 Pro for this project I did so with the expectation that the plugin would be robust enough to 'grow' with the system and play well with other major plugins.

I do thank you for your support, but I hope you realize that my reputation is on the line, riding on that decision I made. In this case I have no other choice but continue to use this plugin. It would ease my mind if you could confirm to me that the Membership 2 Pro plugin is actually still being updated and improved and has not been abandoned and is being sold 'as is'.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Pixeldrummer,

I understand your concerns, but I want to assure you that Membership 2 is still developed and not abandoned. For sometime we are testing new beta versions of Membership and we are hoping to released it soon for all our members. Tests are taking time because we try to check very different scenarios for it and we also want to ensure that it will be compatible with latest PHP version.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.