Membership 2 not adding new users and also not protecting pages

I have set up several memberships but they are not integrating, or I haven't integrated them correctly. See the list on my screenshot.
Health Advocate is for anyone who signs up with their name and email address (I use Plugin User Role Editor Version 4.39 | By Vladimir Garagulya to customize roles). It is FREE
Nutrition Patron is privately assigned by me to clients who purchase services (mostly in-person, not sold online)
Additionally I'm developing online courses (e.g. Meal Plans) that are paid, but that's for another day...

PROBLEM 1
Unfortunately, when a user sets up their account (see second screenshot ) even if they give me all the required fields (which I plan to simplify) they are not being automatically added to the FREE Health Advocate level. And... I cannot manually add them (see options in third screenshot ). What setting(s) do I need to use to assign all new users to the Health Advocate membership?

PROBLEM 2
See 4th screenshot that was created when not logged in. It is of a page set in the Membership 2 Protection Rules to allow access only to Health Advocate and Nutrition Patron members (see 5th screenshot ). I did not check the Page Restriction box on Wordpress' Edit Page. Ideally, a non-logged in person (or guest) could see the page but not download the items. A slide-in or such with a prompt to log in and/or fields to create a FREE account would show up if they scroll down to see additional handout. How do I accomplish this?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Marie,

Hope you're well.

Your "Health Advocate" is a default membership, and that's different than other memberships.
    Default membership is set of rules that are applied to registered members that are not part of any other membership.

So this membership isn't getting assigned like the others, its rules are applied if you have account without a membership.

Because of this you will not see "Health Advocate" as available membership when you go to members profile in Membership 2 (your third screenshot).

But it's still visible in Protection Rules as you can still apply protection rules that will be specific to default members.

Hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

As for the second problem, would you mind granting support access so I could have a closer look at your settings and see what's going on?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please respond in this thread once access is granted.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Marie
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you Predrag. Access is granted now.
    On the first scenario - I understand what you wrote. In other words, anyone who is a "default" member (a user of some sort who is not part of any other group) will be able to see pages I allow the "health advocate" membership to see? I don't need to assign them to this group, they are automatically assigned if not part of any other group?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Marie,

On the first scenario - I understand what you wrote. In other words, anyone who is a "default" member (a user of some sort who is not part of any other group) will be able to see pages I allow the "health advocate" membership to see? I don't need to assign them to this group, they are automatically assigned if not part of any other group?

That's exactly the case, I guess I overcomplicated it a bit above :slight_smile:

About the second issue.
    I checked your installation and see where the issue is, the page you are trying to protect is also selected as a thank you page, which is a default Membership page and those pages can't be protected.
    What you could do is create a different Thank you page, that will include a link to your protected page.

Or you can use default thank you page but redirect it to protected page via htaccess rule, something like this should do the trick:
    RedirectMatch 301 /registration-complete/(.*) /handouts//$1
    Note: You will need to set your "Thank-You Page" page as a thank you page under Membership 2 > Settings > General.
    I did test your Handouts page when it's not set as M2 page and in that case it is protected properly.

And the last thing, hiding the download button.
    What you can do is to hide the buttons with some CSS code like this:

.elementor-page-584.ms-guest .elementor-widget-button {
        display: none;
    }

This will hide the buttons for the visitors, so when they register an account they are no longer visitors and the buttons will show up.
    And with this setup you probably won't need to setup those redirects or use default thank you page.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Marie
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Pedrag - very helpful and I will try those different options. But before I do, since I'm new to WPMU and all the possibilities, perhaps I should back up and describe where I am going with this:

I am a nutritionist. I support clients in making dietary changes as well as speed up healing with targeted supplements based on their situation. Mostly I see people in person but want to support them with more online materials and also, possibly, offer standalone online programs.

I want to switch to drip-fed, protected content and away from the time, expense and impact of tons of handouts reviewed one-on-one (or even in a group). I offer very economical in-person services and want to provide support between visits with automated online programs selected for each client based on their individual health situation. I'll force/manually assign their memberships after their initial exam and their agreement to start my program and after they have paid their client fees in-person.

Something like this:

1. Determine my client's health situation and goals (in person -- possibly telephone/skype)
    2. Assign them to a "course" that addresses their individual situation (e.g. if they have parasites then they get started on food-based parasite cleanse (plus targeted supplements in this case); if they want to lose weight or simply have a more healthful diet there is a program for that).
    3. The "course" is set up to open future modules based on # days after they are given membership access (ideally it can send the drip feed reminder emails - so plugin would do that - or I can set that up in MailChimp)
    4. The "membership" will allow them to access protected content they may download as .pdfs (e.g. shopping lists, meal plans... some people like to print these) or simply view as web pages
    5. There needs to be a forms functionality where I can build forms for food logs, symptoms and track their submissions; ideally a "help" or "support" system for their inquiries that tracks "tickets"...

Not sure if I got all the functions covered but on the surface its:
    Membership
    Courseware
    eMail service for drip feed
    Forms
    Tickets

Also, I would like to sell standalone programs where people do not need to see me. These will probably do all of the above and have some sort of payment gateway.

Do you have specific plugin or strategy recommendations? I'd prefer to stick with WPMU products since they most likely all talk together and then I also have just one place to go for my support questions. Appreciate you thinking about these integrations. --Marie

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Marie,

Let me try splitting your questions to make sure I covered everything :slight_smile:

So let's start with this part:

I want to switch to drip-fed, protected content and away from the time, expense and impact of tons of handouts reviewed one-on-one (or even in a group). I offer very economical in-person services and want to provide support between visits with automated online programs selected for each client based on their individual health situation. I'll force/manually assign their memberships after their initial exam and their agreement to start my program and after they have paid their client fees in-person.

Membership 2 does come with dripped membership option, and you can choose if the selected content will be available from the set date, or relative to their membership start, X days, weeks, months after the membership was assigned.

2. Assign them to a "course" that addresses their individual situation (e.g. if they have parasites then they get started on food-based parasite cleanse (plus targeted supplements in this case); if they want to lose weight or simply have a more healthful diet there is a program for that).

Do you already have a course solution, have you considered using CoursePress for this?

3. The "course" is set up to open future modules based on # days after they are given membership access (ideally it can send the drip feed reminder emails - so plugin would do that - or I can set that up in MailChimp)

With CoursePress you wont be able to drip protect different parts of course, but you can create multiple courses and use those as "sections", you can then apply dripped membership to each course and unlock it after certain time.
    You will be able to do this with pretty much any course/form solution as long as they use custom post type.
    I'm afraid that there's no option to send automated emails when the content is available though :slight_frown:

4. The "membership" will allow them to access protected content they may download as .pdfs (e.g. shopping lists, meal plans... some people like to print these) or simply view as web pages

Media protection add-on from M2 can help you with this and protect your media library files.

5. There needs to be a forms functionality where I can build forms for food logs, symptoms and track their submissions; ideally a "help" or "support" system for their inquiries that tracks "tickets"...

We don't have a form solution, just yet, but it's closing in as we're working on a new plugin, you can check the status on our roadmap page.

As for the ticketing system, depends on how much you're looking for, bbPress would be a more robust solution with a forum for them to submit their request, or if you're looking for a more simple solution you may want to check our Support System plugin.

Also, I would like to sell standalone programs where people do not need to see me. These will probably do all of the above and have some sort of payment gateway.

This can be sorted out with M2 as well, you can have public memberships that have payment options, and then have private memberships that you will use to assign manually to your clients, those private memberships will not be shown as a available option for clients to signup for.

Ok, I think that's it, let me know if you have any additional questions or if I missed anything :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.