Membership 2 plugin funcionality

Hi

I'm concerned about the user-friendliness of this plugin. When a customer wants to upgrade, downgrade or cancel their plan, I see the on-screen instruction is: 'We have the following subscriptions available for our site. You can renew, cancel or upgrade your subscriptions by using the forms below.' Here's the link here: http://www.hushhushvoiceovers.com/memberships/

But there are no forms! I think this will really confuse the customer. Is there a way to add a button or something that links to a form where they can upgrade, downgrade or cancel?? Or at the very least change the current wording?

Could we say: We have the following subscriptions available for our site. You can renew, cancel or upgrade your subscriptions by clicking on ‘More info’…..and could we change ‘sign up’ to ‘More info’ so it’ll be clearer for the customer?

Also, the pricing includes VAT but doesn't say this to the customer. Could we add 'includes VAT' where this is relevant?

The subscription sign-up page is pretty ugly. It'd be so handy to be able to edit around the plugin part of the page to make it easier on the eye - add graphics, and a strong call to action button for instance. Currently the 'sign up' button is easily lost on the page. As this is the most important part of my subscription site, this worries me.

I'm going into test mode for my site next week so a quick answer would be fantastic. Honestly, this is the most important part of my website...it's also the part I'm losing most sleep over. Help!

Thanks v much, guys.

Emma

• Tyler Postle

Hey Emma,

Hope you're doing well today! Happy to help here.

It looks like your theme might overwrite the default membership CSS so the buttons don't have any styling on them. I've done up some CSS here to make the buttons match your theme more:

.wpmui-field-input.button.ms-signup-button.membership_signup.wpmui-submit.button-primary {
      background-color: rgb(173, 68, 8);
      border-radius: 10px;
      color: #fff;
      font-size: 18px;
      padding: 10px;
      font-family: Oxygen;
      font-style: normal;
      font-weight: 600;
      line-height: 2.4;
    }

Add that to your custom CSS sheet, if you don't have one yet then you can use this plugin: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

But there are no forms! I think this will really confuse the customer. Is there a way to add a button or something that links to a form where they can upgrade, downgrade or cancel?? Or at the very least change the current wording?

You can edit the wording on each page within your WordPress pages via:

WordPress admin > Pages > look for "Register" and "Membership". They should have Membership 2 labels on them. You can change the wording to anything you like there :slight_smile: you can also add more wording around the page if you want or images.

Also, the sign-up links aren't working.

It looks like your SSL certificate isn't setup correctly. If you visit any of your pages on https:// it will give you a certificate error and also redirect you if you proceed.

I'd recommend contacting your host to get the SSL certificate issue sorted out as it is setup on the server side.

If you still have any further issues after that, could you grant support access so we can have a closer look at your settings? :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Grant Support Access.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Emma Clarke

Hey Tyler, I've just tried to edit the content of the pages as you advise and I can't see the Register page...and the Subscriptions page has nothing in the page content box via the WP dash. Do I edit the content via the dash or do I do it in Upfront? So sorry to sound stoopid but it's been a helluva long day. Also, I think you guys might be in my site now as it looks weird. I promise not to mess with anything while you're elbow deep in my code. :slight_smile:

A dev guy's been helping me out while I've built the site so maybe he's put the pages you mention in the trash?? Dunno. If you could help, I'd be stoked.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Emma,

No problem at all! Glad to help - and not just because it's my job :p

I've just tried to edit the content of the pages as you advise and I can't see the Register page...and the Subscriptions page has nothing in the page content box via the WP dash. Do I edit the content via the dash or do I do it in Upfront?

Via the WP dash would be better in this case since we're dealing with M2 shortcodes which we are still optimizing how the Upfront editor handles those.

I've attached a screenshot of my register page. By default the register and membership pages should both have identical content within the editor. Keep in mind, the "register" page is only viewable by users that are NOT logged in. If they are logged in and try to visit the /register/ page they will be redirected to the memberships page.

My register page:

If your membership and register page don't have that content, then you can add it manually. The only thing that MUST be on both pages is the [ms-membership-signup] shortcode. Aside from that, you can change/add anything else on the page :slight_smile:

Also, I think you guys might be in my site now as it looks weird

I just tried to login but looks like the SSL cert issue is conflicting with our support access, so I'm not able to login. It may be your other dev.

With that said, could you send in wp-admin credentials privately to me so I can log in?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Emma Clarke

HI Tyler

I've sent you the logins privately. I've just been taking a look at the site. The pages that need attention are Account, Sign up and Subscriptions. And we need to make sure the Sign up and log in buttons go to the right pages, with the right short code on them! If you spot anything else that's awry, please dig in. It feels oh-so-close to being fixed but I can't get it to work. And I can't see how I can edit the pages - it's just not letting me change any of the text.

Thanks so much.

Emma

• Emma Clarke

I'm just doing some work on the Stripe integration to enable me to collect the subscription fees from customers and I can see that the theme breaks. I'm adding in the redirect URL and it seems to fall apart...maybe that's down to the SSL...maybe it's a test mode thing...I have no idea. But your help would be very gratefully received. Check out the screen shot and you'll see what I mean.

• Emma Clarke

Sheesh, you're gonna be sick of me.

I'm going to be taking payments for subscriptions that come via Membership 2 via Stripe. I've configured everything in the plugin...but I now need to connect WP to Stripe. Can you help? I need the endpoint redirect URL....and it must be a HTTPS address. I've asked the guys at Bluehost twice but they just stopped the live chat...twice. Any and all help you could give would be welcomed by a very glad heart. Usually it just connects up, but I'm not seeing WP in my connected services. What am I dong wrong?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Emma,

I think I got the functionality working properly now. I removed the widget areas from your Subscription and Sign up pages so you don't have the duplicate membership lists anymore. From now on you can just add content to the pages from the dash edit page to ensure you don't cause any issues with the shortcodes there.

I also re-created your Subscriptions page as there was a styling issue happening where it wasn't applying styles properly. It's now /subscriptions/ same as the title. Hope that's okay. We can change the permalink back to /memberships/ if needed, I just didn't want to fully trash the last page until you had a look.

Your SSL cert appears to be setup correctly and I went through a test sign up and that looks to work correctly up until I get to the payment since it's set to "live" so I can't actually complete payment.

I'd recommend going to "Test" mode in your Stripe gateway so you can test the checkout without needing to use real payment info. Here is a stripe test credit card:

CC number: 4242 4242 4242 4242
    exp. date: 03/19 (any future date)
    CVV: 333 (any 3 or 4 number combo)

Let me know if you still have any further issues at that point :slight_smile:

By the way, I also added the above custom CSS to your post CSS in the Upfront editor, I've attached a screenshot to illustrate how to do that.

Since I've already done it, you won't need to do that now but just for reference in-case you need to do it again in the future.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Emma Clarke

Hi Tyler

You're a star! Thanks so much for your help. I've changed the Stripe settings so we're no longer in live mode. If you could help me test the subscriptions that would be a massive help. Also, feel free to trash any old Subscription pages we don't need any more.

As you'll see from the screen shots I've got some styling issues - maybe it's my cache (although I've emptied it), maybe it's a browser thing...but the pages are getting skewed.

I still can't figure out how to edit the content of the Subscription sign-up forms. I need to add 'includes VAT in the prices." And just to double-check...I can edit around the shortcode content through the WP dash, right? To add other text, images etc?

Well, it's Monday morning. It's raining. But am I gonna let that get me down? Heck no. Hope you have a great Monday too.

Emma

• Tyler Postle

Hey Emma,

Apologies for my delay here.

I've just checked out your site and the account and subscriptions page are all looking good for me right now.

Subscriptions page:

Account page:

So it might have just been your browser cache or perhaps server cache and has been refreshed now, can you check on your end if it's still displaying broken for you? If so, make sure you clear the browser cache again and close the browser completely then re-open again.

I do notice that the account page information looks to be bunched up a bit - is this the styling issue you were referring too? I could look into some custom CSS for this to space it out more if you like.

I can edit around the shortcode content through the WP dash, right? To add other text, images etc?

That is correct, you can add anything you like around the shortcodes :slight_smile:

You could add a little message at the top that says the prices include VAT. You would add that to both the Sign up and subscriptions page.

I've changed the Stripe settings so we're no longer in live mode. If you could help me test the subscriptions that would be a massive help

You should see the member "tyepotest" that was one I tested Stripe with and it worked :slight_smile: signed up for the monthly membership.

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Emma Clarke

Tyler,

Thank you so much! If you could add the css to improve the look of any dodgy pages that'd be brilliant. Yesterday we figured out that the bad page load was due a faulty SSL installation which we've now fixed. So once again my site looks great again!

I'll be adding in the extra bits to the Sign up and Subscriptions pages later. If I run into any problems, I'll give you a shout. But all Membership 2 supported pages are definitely edited via the WP dash and NOT Upfront, right?

e

e

• Tyler Postle

Hey Emma,

Hope you had a good weekend!

I just added this to your custom region CSS:

#account-invoices tr th {
      padding-right: 60px;
    }

#account-invoices tr th {
    }

#account-activity tr th {
    }

#account-activity tr td {
    }

That should help with the spacing between the text on your accounts page. If you have any issues with it just let me know.

But all Membership 2 supported pages are definitely edited via the WP dash and NOT Upfront, right?

You can use either one but I think that it would be easiest for right now to use the WP dash editor with the way the M2 shortcodes are handled. You will find it easier to position content around the shortcodes. If you do end up wanting to add new regions to those pages or new Upfront elements then of course you can still do that, but for editing the body content on that page itself you may want to stick with the WP dash :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.