[Membership 2 Pro] Allow Membership 2 Pro Subscribers to Update Their Credit Card Information

We're using Membership2 Pro with Stripe for recurring payments on a weekly subscription. One of our subscribers decided to update her billing/credit card information. I don’t know exactly how she tried to do it, but I’m guessing she logged in and messed with her billing settings. However, instead of updating the card that was on her Stripe profile, MS2P created an entirely new user inside Stripe with the same email address, and added her new card to her new user ID.

Unfortunately, the user thought they did everything correctly to update their card, only to find out the following week that their original card was still being charged.

I’ve looked at Stripe and found this documentation for allowing websites to set users up to update their billing preferences via API: https://stripe.com/docs/recipes/updating-customer-cards

Can this functionality be added into MS2P?

In the meantime, and as reference for anyone else who has struggled with this problem, I’ve contacted Stripe support and they advised me to follow this process to allow the user to update their card information without upsetting the connection to their Membership 2 Pro subscription:

Login to Stripe:
1. Go to Customers
2. Search for your customer
3. Copy their Details > Account Information > ID
4. Take note of the current credit card associated with their account for the future (you'll need this a few days later)
5. Go to Billing > Invoices > Create New
6. Paste the ID you copied and select the user
7. Invoice them for $1, which you will manually refund after they make the payment
8. While creating the invoice, under “Billing” select the following:
-- a. Email invoice to collect payment at a later date
-- a. -- 1. Payment due: 0 days
-- b. Invoice payment page:
-- b. -- 1. include a Stripe-hosted link to an invoice payment page in the invoice email
-- c. Accept payment with…
-- c. -- 1. Credit or debit card

This will allow the user to make a $1 payment with their new credit card. Then, after they make the payment, go back to their account profile and manually delete their original credit card. This will force their MS2P subscription to use the payment method on file, which is their new credit card.

Might also be worth leaving a note for your subscribers on their /account page to contact you directly if they want to update their payment details.

If you've had this issue and want MS2P to allow us to avoid charging our subscribers $1 to update their billing information, please vote this post up so we can show the developers how important this functionality is!

Thanks.