Membership 2 Pro Authorize.net double billing

We have an issue where some users are billed more than once but their membership status doesn't reflect that.

Checking from my Authorize.net account, those users have payment processed successfully twice, 3 times in a month for a monthly subscription. And for some users, their membership status is even expired.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Cynthia G

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I read the chat and checked the site but it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with site configuration. The logs, however, if I'm not missing anything, indicate that these multiple payments were accepted in a very short period one after another. This might mean that the member actually refreshed the Authorize net payment window at some point, while it wasn't supposed to be refreshed.

That was an issue back in the past, related mostly to how Authorize.net is working.

As of now, please don't consider it a diagnosis yet, it's just my assumption and we need to investigate it.

That said, I'd like you to start with updating the Membership 2 Pro plugin. I noticed that the site's running on 1.1.4 version while the most recent one is 1.1.5 and there's been some important changes implemented.

Would you also tell me please if there are any caching tools on server enabled? I mean a server-side cache. If you're not sure, would you please get in touch with your host and ask them about it?

Let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Cynthia G

As for the Authorize.net working I understand what you are saying about the user refreshing before they were suppose to.

My question is first these payments should be auto generated in that Membership Pro 2 should be billing authorize.net every month and it should not take any interaction from the user. if this is the case then refreshing would not explain the duplicate processing of the payments. The first example I gave you has double billed the user every month since they set up the account.

The second issue that I am seeing is that the response from authorize.net is not being recorded in Membership Pro 2. On that same client they have been double billed every month yet if I look under there account history I do not see the monthly payments. They are in authorize.net but not Membership Pro 2. Also if I look it shows as inactive and not as active. If I am understanding correctly every time an invoice is generated and paid with Membership Pro 2 it should generate a paid invoice and also list that payment in the users payment history. then the subscription should be marked as active. Am I correct in this?

I have our host checking the server to see if there is anything like a mod security rule or some other reason for the response from authorize.net to not be recorded.

I have also sent a note to the host asking them if there is any caching on the server side. I do not think there is but better to ask and make sure. I will update you with that info as soon as I get a response.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Cynthia,

If the issue happened on the recurring payment then it wouldn't be affected by "user error" as this process is automated and it doesn't require additional action from the client.

We are trying to replicate this on our end and we would need our developers to take a closer look at the logs and check for any logs, so could you provide us with FTP or cPanel access?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.