Membership 2 Pro: Build a Facebook Style 'Register' Site?

Hi,

I am attempting to establish a Professional Register, which includes both combined directories and individual registration sub-sites!

Thus I would like to provide dual choice membership options (either or both) with the following arrangement:-

1} A straight forward 'General Membership/Paid Membership' (alphabetically surname segregated), just giving access to the site information?

2} A 'Formal Register', where a Registrants page can be accessed via a sub-directory URL, such as mydomain.com/johnv, as usually facilitated by your Pro Site Plugin?

I note that you information alludes to 'the next Face Book' and I have heard a rumour that Edublog uses your Membership Plugin (or similar) for this function?

Can I use just the one plugin here, or must I use both?

Or is there another way, please?

The site is:-
http://www.the-british-nurse.org

Regards

johnv

• Luís

Hi john ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, Membership 2 Pro and Pro Sites are different plugins used to different purposes. Pro Sites is used to help you in the sites network management, allowing to create levels with different permissions (plugins, themes, upload space, etc), that will be assigned in the site registration process.

Membership 2 Pro is used to limit the access to the content, allowing you to create membership levels that will give/restrict access to certain parts of your website.

Membership 2 Pro can be used in a site by site bases (each website have their own registration and protection rules) or in a network level (where you can define protection rules network-wide), however, in this case, all the membership pages (register, account, etc.) are based on one site only. It can be the main site or other subsite.

Regarding to your questions, and before replying to them, I think the main idea is just creating protection rules to the site content, right? And this rules will be applied in a site by site bases, right?

Cheers, Luís

• Luís

Hi john ,

Hope you're doing well today!

If you want to use a separated registration in each subsite, you can network activate Membership 2 Pro, but you will need to create the membership levels in each subsite and define the protection rules for each subsite too.

Each subsite will have their own membership levels and users will need to subscribe the levels in the subsites to have access to the content.

However, as I mentioned above, Membership 2 Pro can be used in a network level (where you can define protection rules network-wide), to do this, after network activate the plugin you will need to add this define to your wp-config.php:

define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true );

Then, you can create membership levels for the entire network and add the protection rules for the entire network too.

All the membership pages (register, account, etc.) are based in one site only, but the protection rules are made for all the subsites.

I.E: Users with the membership level = Membership X, can have access to the "about" page in the Main site (mainsite.com) and to the Posts in the subsite (subsite.maindomain.com).

You should plan this before add the "Network" support for Membership, because, all the settings and memberships created before add the "define", will not be recognized:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#product-usage

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís