[Membership 2 Pro] Document restrictions makes website painfully slow

hi, i have a website where i've tried to enable restrictions on all documents such as PDF's and word documents. The problem is it slows down the website so much that i had to disable it again. I found an old post that it was a problem in an earlier version, but i'm running the latest version, so i'm wondering if there is anything i can setup differently.

Let me know what i need to supply in order for you guys to help me out.

Thanks in advance.

• Majid
    • Recruit

Hello Dennis

Sorry to hear about your issue, this issue seems to happen on websites with a lof of users and content, that's why a caching option was added to the plugin. Can you double check if you have that setting enabled under Membership 2 Pro > Settings > General > Speed up results

Let us know what you've found.

Thanks,

Majid

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Dennis

Could you please grant temporary support access via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin? No need to share any WP admin credentials. Just navigate in WP admin area under WPMU DEV -> Support page and click on the “grant support access” button. You can find detailed information about it here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please do reply back here when access is granted because we don’t get any notifications about it.

Additionally, would it be possible to create a staging environment, meaning a new WP installation that’ll be an exact and complete copy of this installation, in the same server, using a separate database? This way we could re-enable this functionality and debug/troubleshoot safely, without worrying about live site.

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Dennis

Hope you're doing well!

I apologize for a late reply! Please let us know is the site is slowing down with current settings on your site? When a specific Protection method is selected from the Media Protection add-on or with current setting all media files protected from Protection Rules? Please see this screenshot:

Please let us know more information about this issue; the site is slowing down in general or only on certain protected pages? For example when a member loading PDF files?

With current settings, a protected media page loaded if few seconds. I've noticed the WP Super Cache plugin is deactivated, please let me know if after enabling this plugin a protected page is loading faster?

Please advise,

Cheers,

Nastia

• Dennis
    • New Recruit

The problem is that the URLs even for normal pictures are masked, even though protection is not enabled for them. So it has to load all pictures through the membership engine, which seems to slow down the whole site – as the site is still in its development stage, we havent activated the cache yet. But why is membership protecting all files and not only the files we selects in the protection rules?

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Dennis

I trust you’re doing well!

I’ve tested the plugin on my end and can’t reproduce the same. An image page is loading with same speed when Membership 2 plugin is deactivated and when activated with Media Protection add-on.

On your site, there are two seconds difference when a PDF file is loading, 9,7 seconds with add-on active and 7,9 with add-on deactivated. The same file loaded on my end within 1,9 seconds with the add-on active.

But why is membership protecting all files and not only the files we selects in the protection rules?

After activating “Media Protection” all media URL links are masked, out of the box it is not possible to overwrite this option. Only with custom coding. These images are still visible to everybody unless some of them are protected under membership

Would you please see if there is another plugin affecting the loading speed of media files? Please run a quick test, deactivate all the other plugins, besides Membership 2 Pro and see how fast a media file is loading on your end.

Then start activating one plugin at the time, each time loading a media file to see if the loading time increases.

Let us know what you will find!

Cheers,

Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.