[Membership 2 Pro] Error with pdf file - membership , protection rules

Hi, i am getting an error with a pdf in my media library which has protection rules set to it, i am getting a 403 - Forbidden Error
for the file

https://techniquestutor.com/wp-content/uploads/TechniquesTutor-AcrylicsBasics-CompanionBook.pdf - can you help me work out why please

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Belinda

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have checked your site and the issue here was configuration of "Advanced Media Protection" option of "Media Protection" add-on. That can be set on "Membership 2 -> Settings -> Advanced Media Protection" page.

This option adds an additional .htacess file to the /wp-content/uploads/ folder in order to prevent direct access to the file (if somebody knows direct "real" - not masked by M2P plugin - URL of a file, like in this case). There's a setting to add "execeptions" - file types (extensions) that should actually be allowed - and by default PDF is not one of them.

I have added .pdf extension there, disabled and re-enabled that option to re-create aforementioned .htaccess and finally cleared cache on site. Then I tested the file in different browsers and it seem to be working fine now.

Please note: if it gives you a 403 forbidden error at first, make sure that you cleared the browser cache and try again (or just try in incognito browser window).

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.