Membership 2 Pro Failed Payments retrying

Hello

We have the Membership 2 Pro plugin set up on the site. The client has got in touch with us saying that failed payments keep retrying, and customers being charged twice.

The only payment gateway being used is Stripe Subscriptions, and I believe that when the initial subscription is processed, everything else is handled by Stripe itself (If the payment has failed, it is Stripe that retries to collect payment, not Membership 2?).

We have contacted Stripe, and they say that it is not their side, and it is the website (Membership 2 Pro) that is retrying to collect the failed payment – Can you shed any light on this from your side?

We have also had a ticket from the client saying that customers are being charged twice? This is showing on the client’s Stripe account as 2 payments for $295 12 minutes apart – Can you shed any light on this also?

Thanks

Nick

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Nick

Thank you for the access,

I don’t see duplicated billing on Membership 2 logs, could you send me the username or ID of the user that got billed twice and we can investigate?

Seems you have both versions on Membership installed, I suggest creating a full backup and removing the free version and keep the Pro version.

As the Membership 2 is our legacy plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wpmu-dev-legacy-plugins/ and it is available on GitHub, the updates notification does not show on the WordPress dashboard, I can see you are using the version 1.1.5.

We have a newer version that contains important payments fixes, I suggest we update for this version too.

I’m attaching the new plugin version here.

– Please,

– create a full backup of your site

Close the wp-admin until updating the plugin

– Using an FTP or sFTP, go to your WordPress installation > wp-content

– Create a temp folder, like plugins-temp

– Open the plugins folder and move the memberhip-pro from plugins to plugins-temp

-Upload the new version on the plugins folder

Once the upload is done, access the wp-admin > plugins again, you will see the newer version.

This version has some payment and additional fixes, once update, check if the reported issues are gone.

Let us know if you need help on any step.

Best Regards

Patrick Freitas

• Nick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for this, I have updated the plugin.

We have not disabled plugin updates – why was this update not triggered to display the update notification on the WordPress dashboard?

Will this be an instant fix, or do we nee to wait for these double payments to stop?

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Nick

Hope you are doing well.

why was this update not triggered to display the update notification on the WordPress dashboard?

As I told before, the plugin was moved to GitHub, so the WPMU DEV dashboard won’t notify for updates, you can see the complete explanation on https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wpmu-dev-legacy-plugins/

Can you confirm that if this plugin is now free, we no longer need to pay for it?

This is now available on the Github, you can download for free or Fork to your Github to keep creating new modules :slight_smile:

Could you check User 1430 – They are showing as using the Stripe Single Gateway, but we only have Stripe Subscriptions Gateway enabled?

Wouldn’t you mind please, regrant the support access? I can’t see it open.

Let us know when support access is granted.

Best Regards

Patrick Freitas

• Nick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

As I told before, the plugin was moved to GitHub, so the WPMU DEV dashboard won’t notify for updates, you can see the complete explanation on https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wpmu-dev-legacy-plugins/

There is a function to add update notifications to plugins hosted on GitHub/GitLab/BitBucket – It’s called Plugin Update Checker. Leaving updates for users to do manually leaves the plugin open to vulnerabilities until it is updated. If you are going to continue to support the plugin, allow updates to be done through the WordPress Dashboard!

This is now available on the Github, you can download for free or Fork to your Github to keep creating new modules

Does this mean we no longer need to pay for the Pro plugin as it’s now available on GitHub? You did not answer my question.

Wouldn’t you mind please, regrant the support access? I can’t see it open.

I have re-granted support access.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Nick

There is a function to add update notifications to plugins hosted on GitHub/GitLab/BitBucket – It’s called Plugin Update Checker. Leaving updates for users to do manually leaves the plugin open to vulnerabilities until it is updated. If you are going to continue to support the plugin, allow updates to be done through the WordPress Dashboard!

The plugins will be supported by the community, we are not going to release new versions on Github, if someone creates a new feature can create a pull request.

Does this mean we no longer need to pay for the Pro plugin as it’s now available on GitHub? You did not answer my question.

Yes, you don’t need to pay for the plugin, the plugins included on membership and will be receiving updates can be found on this page, https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/plugins

I have re-granted support access.

Thank you for granted the support, I can see indeed this user has the Single stripe, I can also see the module is configured but disabled.

Had you got this module when this user assigned to membership?

Best Regards

Patrick Freitas

• Nick
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

We used Stripe Single Gateway as the client originally refused to pay for the Pro version, to use the Subscription Gateway.

The issue was that the user had been charged twice through Stripe. Stripe say it’s a Membership 2 Pro issue.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Nick

Sorry to hear it happened.

I only see one billing on Membership 2 Pro log,

However, the new version has important fixes for the payments module, we can keep eyes open and check if this issue won't be back.

About the Stripe Single Gateway, indeed it is weird, I see this user was billed, once you only have the Stripe Subscriptions Gateway enabled the user will be forced to use this module on next payment.

I forwarded this to our developers to check if we can switch the payment module on this user profile, we will keep you posted once hear back from developers.

Best Regards

Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.