Membership 2 Pro gets stuck when setting up protection rules for menu items

Upgrading from Membership 2 to the Pro version seems to have slowed down the protection rules setting up process tremendously. With the regular version it would take seconds to generate but now with the Pro it seems to get stuck. I have my screen like this picture for over an hour:

https://static.livechatinc.com/8801096/P6SBKGPAA7/1d9e62d154c70cf400bf0a54bb6638d9/members%202_(1).JPG

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brynt

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your staging site. The site is quite complex with 56 plugins active (some quite "heavy") and is running on an older PHP version. This is definitely causing performance issues and most probably the 500 errors that you have experienced during the conflict testing (during chat) are also related.

Please start with following small changes to "clean up" the setup a bit (I'd say that they are optional but highly recommended):

1. Disable P3 Performance profiler plugin (it was a great tool but currently is mostly a "resource sucker" only), PHP/MySQL CPU Performance Statistics and Query Monitor plugins (they are really not necessary and only add up to resource usage - they should only be enabled temporarily to check those stats/information if necessary and then disabled; shouldn't run all the time).

2. Review your plugins (I'm sorry but I don't know all the features of them) and make sure that they don't duplicate in features. I see multiple ads related plugins active, multiple security plugins, multiple menu related plugins - there's a big chance that they duplicate some or all the features;

Then, the most important changes to perform are these ("must do" steps):

3. Increase WordPress memory limit. Your server allows up to 512M of RAM to be used for PHP scripts. WordPress by default limits it and the limit on your site currently is 40M which, with that setup, is way to small. While 512M could be a bit of "overkill", 256M should be good enough. To change that, add following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

This change has to be done via FTP or cPanel (unfortunately, FTP credentials that you provided during the chat don't work for me so I wasn't able to do that change myself) and the line must be put right above the "/* That's all, stop editing */ line in the "wp-config.php" file.

4. The site is currently powered by 5.6.34 version of PHP which is quite outdated. While WordPress itself is compatible with that version many plugins may not work quite well with it or be much slower. Switching to PHP 7.x should significantly increase site performance and stability and lower server resource usage. Usually such switch can be done via cPanel so take a look there and see if you can switch to 7.x (preferably 7.1.x) version and if so, do it. If not, please contact your host and ask them if they could do this.

Once all those changes are done, please clear all the caches - on server (if there is any; usually can be cleared via cPanel), on site and in browser - and check how your site performs and if there are still issues with Membership 2 Pro.

Let me know about results, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Brynt

Alright, I thank you for a quick response as I have taken the time to do all the suggested. I actually deactivated all the plugins once more after updating the php. I started activating the ones that were needed and the others I completely deleted.

As I get done with the process I found my tab like the Home and those would not work whatsoever. I changed themes and they seemed to work. So after a bit, I changed it back to the original theme. And that seemed to make it start working.

However I went through the complete process of going through devhub again to reset it all up as new. Which seemed to work I was even able to get a backup this time. The Mem2 Pro seems to be working.

The problem now seems to be now if I try to create a new post or even add something to my menu the page constantly takes a long time to do anything and it will eventually give me a 504 gateway error.

The site itself seems to be running fine. Now other than the fact I am unable to make any updates to it. So that is where I am at. It seems that I have done something to cause it to be at a locking stage continuously. I don't have any idea how to fix it my host provider told me to change permissions to 755 although I am looking up how to do that. So other than that I would guess that the plugin of Mem2 Pro is doing what it is supposed to.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brynt

Thank you for your response and additional information.

If after all those changes the plugin is still working that slow, there must be some additional conflict "under the hood", maybe a database corruption, there's quite a lot of possibilities.

The Membership 2 (free version) and Membership 2 Pro plugin are actually the same. It's the same plugin with only that exception that the free version (which you call "regular") has some features locked. So basically, the code behind would be the same.

If you do not need those "pro" add-ons, I think you can of course stick to the free one. But in case you wanted to make a switch anyway, we'll need to troubleshoot it further. In that case, it would be great if you could setup a staging site.

Such a staging site should be an exact ("one to one") copy of your current site, set on the very same server/hosting account (e.g. in some sub-folder or subdomain or a spare domain). Provided with full access (admin account, FTP and phpMyAdmin or cPanel) I would include our developers in the case so they could fully investigate it.

Let me know please if you wish us to continue this way.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Brynt

Hi Adam,

I would be more than happy to do whatever I can to help. If you would like we could schedule a time or something so you and I could talk. On Skype or messenger if you have it. The reason I refer to Members 2 Reg and Members 2 Pro is this. When you download Members 2 it gives you a brand new plugin all in itself as you download/upgrade to members 2 Pro it deactivated Members to Reg and Installs a brand new plugin Members 2 Pro itself. In the first picture, it is of Members 2 Reg installed alone. In the second picture, it is of both Mem 2 Reg and Members 2 Pro. As of currently Members 2 Reg is the one that is installed.

As the very first time I ever installed Mem 2 Pro I went through the entire process that the wpmudev hub takes you through. Which is when Mem 2 Pro was very first activated and what happens is it deactivated Mem2 reg. However, it does not delete it. Now I did go ahead after the full install the very first time and remove Members 2 Reg Because it was just one thing I figured wouldn't be needed any longer. However, the difference in speed from both plugins is immense. And yes I would happen to say that it is the same exact plugin just with a few different features activated. The overall performance between the two is worlds apart for some reason.

In my experience so far when Members 2 Pro is active it is only quick and reliable all by itself with no other plugin installed whatsoever after even one plugging gets added the performance becomes very very slow. On the other hand Members 2 Reg is not affected by any other plugin and does what it is supposed to.

As of right now I am running the Members 2 Reg and have just a few other plugins with it. Which if you would like I can make a staging of both so you can see the difference that is there. Well, hopefully, that would be the case. Again if you may have a moment to catch me on messenger let me know. I would be more than happy to do what is possible on my end to help in any way.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Brynt

Thank you for your response!

If you would like we could schedule a time or something so you and I could talk. On Skype or messenger if you have it.

I'm afraid I can't provide this. We can work over this support form or (it will probably come to that as well) via mail but the only other way to talk would be our live support chat - but I'm not able to schedule any specific time or guarantee that your chat will be handled by me personally.

However, taking this entire case into account, I'd say that it would really be best if you could create a staging site - exact copy of the current one. The behavior of the plugin on your setup is something that's actually new to us and even if lite/free Membership 2 so far suits your needs we'd very much like to investigate it to learn what is causing that - so we could improve the plugin (or, if it's specific to your setup, fix it there).

I will also need to include our developers in that so an ability to test and work in that exact environment (well, a copy of it) where it happens would be kind of essential. I believe you know what I mean :slight_smile:

That being said, if I could ask you for setting up such staging site - please provide me with full access to it by sending in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Adam Czajczyk
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - login URL and admin account login credentials (may be a temporary admin account) data
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include hosting control panel access details (login address, username & password) - cPanel's usually the control panel used for this, but your provider may use something else; I'll need this for accessing your site's database, preferably via phpMyAdmin
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

Please use our contact form here https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Together with our developers I'll then investigate the issue so we could either fix that for your site (if it's site specific) or to improve the plugin (if it's an "undiscovered yet" general issue).

I'd appreciate it a lot!

Best regards,
    Adam