Membership 2 Pro is doubling time period for payment using PayPal

Hello,

I have 3 memberships set up: one is a 2-day trial period for $1 then it switches to the monthly if the subscriber does not cancel. The others are monthly and annual. I have done a test with the $1 subscription and the monthly subscription. In both of those test subscribers, when I look at the subscription details I see the start date & expire date are correct. However the date next to Payment Type has been doubled. So for the 2-day subscription the date for the PayPay payment is in 4 days instead of 2 days. For the 1 month subscription the date for the next payment is in 2 months instead of 1 month.

I have granted support access!

Thanks,
Debbie

• Nithin

Hi Debbie,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I was able to notice the same with the trial memberships, I'm pinging the developer asking to give a look, and check whether this is by design, or a bug, when it comes to payment type. Please do note that developers work round the clock with many critical issues, and hence have a slow response time. Either myself, or the developer will keep you posted.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Debbie

Hi again Nithin,
    I did not have this problem in the earlier version of Membership. While I like the ease of setting up the memberships in Membership 2 Pro, I'm wondering if I should switch back to the earlier version until this is resolved as I'm not liking the subscribers receiving access for double the time they've paid for. Are there any security issues in the earlier version of the paid Membership?
    Thanks
    Debbie

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Debbie,

However the date next to Payment Type has been doubled. So for the 2-day subscription the date for the PayPay payment is in 4 days instead of 2 days.

I'm little confused here - you see your trial membership is one payment for finite access - there is no next payment for that membership. User pays once, when joins, and start and expiration day is correct. There will be no more payments for that membership, and it will expire after two days.
    That Payment Date might here be a glitch, because in Subscriptions details dates are also correct - two days, not 4.

For the 1 month subscription the date for the next payment is in 2 months instead of 1 month.

Where do you see that date? I'm checking subscription details for one member that has monthly membership and subscribed on 29.09 and next payment date is on 29.10 - not 29.11

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Debbie

Hello Kasia Swiderska
    Thank you for jumping in.

The trial membership is set for 2 days & then it's to switch to the monthly subscription, screenshot attached.

On the Subscription Details screen for a trial membership it's shows the start date 2016-10-01, the expire date 2016-10-03, and next to Payment Type is shows "(until 2016-10-05)", screenshot attached.

For the one month subscription I am now also seeing the subscribed on date 29.09 and next payment date 29.10. I had resaved all the settings for the subscriptions on October 1st, that may have fixed the monthly subscription issue.

Thanks for your help with the remaining trial membership problem!
    Debbie

• Nithin

Hi Debbie,

On the Subscription Details screen for a trial membership it's shows the start date 2016-10-01, the expire date 2016-10-03, and next to Payment Type is shows "(until 2016-10-05)", screenshot attached.

I am able to get some feedback regrading this, what you have mentioned is how the plugin behaves. As from your screenshot, it's a 2 day membership that ends on 3rd October, and in that day the next payment will be made 2 days later, that would be on 5th. From your setup, once 2 days are over ie on 3rd Oct, your membership will switch to monthly membership.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if there is any confusion. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Debbie

Hi Nithin

Thank you for the explanation, it's helpful, although I do not seem to understand how best to set up the trial membership for it to work the way I have in mind.
    For this user the trial ended 3rd October. I expected the charge for the monthly membership to occur on 3rd October. However it looks like the payment for the monthly membership will be on 5th October. Am I understanding that correctly?
    What I have in mind is that when someone signs up for the 2-day trial, that the monthly membership will be charged right after the end of the 2 days. Do I need to change the 2-day trial to 1 day for it to work that way?

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:
    Debbie

• Nithin

Hi Debbie,

Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous reply, sorry about that. The payment will be processed on 3rd Oct, the date mentioned(5th Oct) on the payment type indicate the next payment after the user has been charged for 3rd Oct. Since it's a 2 day membership, the next payment after expiry would be 2 days later ie 5th Oct, and this is by design that the plugin indicates this date.

The user should be charged on 3rd Oct, as you have expected. Or did you mean the user is not being charged on 3rd Oct in your system? I wasn't able to replicate this issue. If this is the case, could you please enable support access, and please specify the membership in which you are having issue, so that we could give a closer look.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Debbie

Hi Nithin,

Hope you're doing well too :slight_smile:

Thanks for re-explaining. I wasn't understanding why it shows the next payment being on the 5th Oct when after the 3rd Oct it's supposed to change to a monthly membership.

The user was not charged on 3rd Oct and still had access through 4th Oct, however today 5th Oct the user does not have access.
    I have enabled support access and the user name is Sophia, under expired subscriptions.

Thanks for your help!
    Debbie

• Nithin

Hi Debbie,

The user was not charged on 3rd Oct and still had access through 4th Oct, however today 5th Oct the user does not have access.

I can notice it's not switching to your monthly subscription plan, and the user is in expired subscriptions. I'm pinging this issue to the developer, and will ask to give a look regarding this. I have also created a test one day membership, according to your configuration, to check how the payments works in my test system. Either myself, or the developer will keep you updated regarding this.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Debbie,

I checked your system, and it's kinda odd that your membership is behaving like this, since it's a recurring payment membership, could you please check whether any payments were initiated, did you get any money?. I could see an invoice(#486) generated, but no transaction logs.

Could you please confirm this. I have also configured a 1 day membership according to your settings, and will check whether I'm able to replicate this exact issue. Will keep you posted.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Debbie

Hi Nithin ,
    I had replied on 3 Nov, but see it did not post.

The monthly subscription that did not renew as it should have is subscription ID 480. The invoice# for the first payment on Tim September is 481-1, and I did receive that payment. That user still has access, and the subscription for that account shows it's a monthly subscription, however the payment did not process on 29 October.

On 3 November I created 2 test accounts: one for the 2 day trial that is set to switch to the monthly subscription automatically if the subscriber does not cancel; the other for the monthly subscription. Payment for both of those test accounts was received on 3 November.

The $1 trial should have been charged the monthly membership in 5 November, but that charged did not go through and that user still has access. The invoice # for the $1 payment is #507-1, the username is support2 with subscription ID 506.

The monthly subscription is username support3 with subscription ID 515.

I have enabled support access.

Thanks for your help getting this working properly!
    Debbie

• Debbie

Hello Kasia,

Yes, I apologize for the confusion, I needed to refund the subscription for user Harold.

User support2, subscription ID 506, signed up for a $1 2-day trial on 11-03, it was supposed to go to a monthly subscription on 11-05. The monthly subscription did not charge on 11-05, so that user is still on the trial subscription and the problem is that they can still log in and have access to content.

As an alternative to the 2-day trial going to the monthly subscription, I tried setting up a monthly membership that includes a 2-day trial period. However, when I tried it and signed up a test user on 11-11 (support5) that user did not have access to the content right away. The only way that user had access was to wait 2 days until the payment processed, alternatively they could have made the payment right away although that defeats the purpose of giving access during a trial period. The good news is that the payment for that user did process correctly after 2 days on 11-13. However it is not allowing access to the content during the trial period. User support5 is subscription ID 534 and is found under canceled subscriptions (as I deactivated the monthly subscription with trial membership).

I have now changed the active membership options to a monthly and annual without any free trial so that the memberships would bill and give access correctly. However, I would still like to offer a trial period of 2 days that switches to a monthly membership. Is there a fix in the works so that the trial period switching to a monthly membership will work correctly?

Thanks!
    Debbie

• Nithin

Hi Debbie,

However it is not allowing access to the content during the trial period.

I made a test trial membership, in my system, and it seems to work fine without any issue. I wasn't able to replicate the issues of content not being accessible. The register users, did have access to the content which hasn't been protected.

Since you have disabled your trial membership, I wasn't able to test this exetnsively, is it possible to test this in your system, and check this further?

However, I would still like to offer a trial period of 2 days that switches to a monthly membership. Is there a fix in the works so that the trial period switching to a monthly membership will work correctly?

At the moment, I'm afraid, I don't have an exact ETA on when a patch related to this will be issued. I'm pinging the developer regarding this, and will ask to give a closer look at this issue. Will keep you posted, once we have a patch ready.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Debbie

HI nithin,
    Yes, thank you, hope you are too :slight_smile:

The register users, did have access to the content which hasn't been protected.

Aha, now I understand the different between the trial period add-on, and adding a trial membership that rolls into a monthly membership.
    The trial period add-on, by design, gives registered users access to unprotected content. A good use of this would be to provide some content free for registered users, and then another level of content to those registered users that become paying members.

What I want is for the content to be accessible only to paying members. Therefore the trial period is not the right method for me to use. The trial membership that switches to a monthly membership is what I really want. So I will have to wait until there is a patch to make this work properly.

Thanks!
    Debbie

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.