[Membership 2 Pro] Issues with Membership 2 Pro 1.1.3

On top of major issues with Affiliates, since the recent Membership 2 Pro update to 1.1.3, the following issues have occurred:
(1) Joining form redirects stopped working i.e. having filled out a membership 2 joining (WP) form, users were being re-directed to their 'account'. Following the update, this functionality stopped and our site boarding experience for new sites users has been damaged.
(2) 'You are logged in as' for all new users (since the update' - does not include their username i.e where is did say 'You are logged in as username' - the 'username' is missing. Within our site VideoBiker.co.uk - this is a major issue, both for us and for our site users.

• James Morris

Hello Jez

In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant us access to your site and server so we can perform some advanced debugging?

NOTE: Please make a full backup of your site before sending the following information.

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Option: I have a different Question

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

~OR~

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Jez

RE:

(1) Joining form redirects stopped working i.e. having filled out a membership 2 joining (WP) form, users were being re-directed to their 'account'. Following the update, this functionality stopped and our site boarding experience for new sites users has been damaged.

I see you have the Redirection Add-on enabled. This addon wasn't properly configured to point to the /account/ page after successful login. I've updated this for you so that members will be redirected on login. However, this addon does not have an affect on the first login upon registration. Did you have any custom code applied anywhere for this functionality?

RE:

(2) 'You are logged in as' for all new users (since the update' - does not include their username i.e where is did say 'You are logged in as username' - the 'username' is missing. Within our site VideoBiker.co.uk - this is a major issue, both for us and for our site users.

I have confirmed that this is not working as it is suppose to both on your site as well as my own dev environment. I am flagging this issue as a bug for our Dev Team to address as soon as technically possible.

If you could provide a bit more information about point (1) that would be most helpful. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Jez

Hi James. Thanks for making some progress. There's no custom code in respect of these redirects and I agree, the 'missing' redirect is in respect of the 'default' (free) membership. Without investigating further, all I can safely say is that the redirect to /account was working before the recent Membership 2 update.

I do wonder if we have this set-up correctly. There needs to be a free 'default' membership for people to use as essentially the sites business model will be driven through subscription and free membership. Frustratingly, within Membership 2 Pro, there is no 'auto' email functionality available for 'default' users. It's difficult 'out-of-the-box' to understand exactly what 'guest' and 'default' are. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, they would be welcomed.

Essentially though redirect and email functionality is equally important for all membership levels (including default) and it's hard to understanding why that has been excluded for default accounts.

Is there a 'instruction manual' update with Membership 2, as over the last two updates we have notices new buttons and functions, but I don't think the plugin pages have been updated.

• James Morris

Hello Jez

I can appreciate what you are saying. Let me see if I can clarify the model a little bit here by using an illustration.

4 Native Membership Levels
    1. Guest Membership
    2. Default Membership
    3. Standard Membership
    4. Dripped Content Membership.

1. Guest Membership
    This membership is intended to hide on-boarding (funneling) content used to acquire subscribers who do not have a WordPress user account on your site. John Q. Public as it were. A good example of a page hierarchy for this membership would be like so:

- Home (Public to all)
    - About (Public to all)
      |_ Services (Public to all)
      |_ Testimonials (Public to all)
      |_ Membership Benefits (ONLY Guest/Default Membership access)
    - Register for Free (ONLY Guest Membership access)
    - Contact Us (Public to all)

Using the Guest membership, you can hide the Membership Benefits and Register for Free pages from all other memberships through the Advanced menu protection add-on and use those pages to funnel visitors towards registration.

2. Default Membership
    Once users register, you can then get their email address into your system and ramp up your marketing efforts through the use of additional funneling pages and the MailChimp Integration add-on. Since their email is now registered, you can assign them to an appropriate newsletter for members who have not committed to a membership level. A good menu structure for this level would be something like the following:

- Home (Public to all)
    - About (Public to all)
      |_ Services (Public to all)
      |_ Testimonials (Public to all)
      |_ Membership Benefits (ONLY Guest/Default Membership access)
    - Free Preview (ONLY Default Membership access)
    - Available Memberships (ONLY Default Membership access)
    - Contact Us (Public to all)

In this scenario, you've retained all your public pages, but limited the Free Preview and Available Memberships pages to only the Default membership level.

The Free Preview, of course, is designed to entice and funnel potential members into making a membership commitment. Here you could use a custom page template that will render only 1 post from specific categories without pagination, for example, using the Category Protection add-on. All the while including targeted calls to action using the various shortcodes available in M2P.

3. Standard Membership / 4. Drip Content Membership
    Once they make a commitment, they can then join either a Standard or Drip Content membership level. Standard is usually used for recurring or one-time payment memberships which gives full access to specific pages, whereas Drip Content is best suited for situations where you have a large archive of content that you want to release on a scheduled basis. i.e: Post content released on a schedule rather than full access from the start.

RE: Redirection...

I've spoken with our Developers and they stated the Redirection add-on will not affect the first signup login. Meaning the first login as the user registers. But every subsequent login/logout should be affected. So, I'm not sure how this was working before, but I will work with our team to see if we can find a solution for this for you.

RE: Documentation...

The product usage page for the plugin is the first line for finding out all new information about our plugins. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#product-usage

We do our best to keep these pages updated, however, there may be a slight delay. If you find a feature that isn't documented, please don't hesitate to contact us through Live Support and we'll be more than happy to walk you through that feature.

I hope this explanation has clarified a little bit about the various native membership levels in M2P. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Jez

Hi James - thank you for your helpful reply in respect of the memberships and how to use them.

Just wondering if there is any progress with:

We need to get this sorted please.

• Jez

Hi Paul. Sorry for the delay in replying. We had to put VideoBiker development on hold. I've just applied the class-ms-factory fix and that seems to have fixed the issue with the logged-in user shortcode. Thanks.

Just wondering if a 'fix' is possible on the 'user signing to default account' issue, where there is currently no redirect option. It's not a good UX for site users signing up for an account and just left 'hanging' on the sign-up page. Currently 'default' users: (1) don't get redirected on joining and, (2) don't receive any sign-up emails via M2P. It would be a good thing to have this functionality extended to 'default' member sign-ups.

On the VideoBiker account, 'default membership' is an important stepping stone - effectively our 'free' membership, where users get access to resources that are controlled by M2P content restriction. We then encourage them to upgrade.

Redirection and M2P emails are equally as important for default as for paid. ps. and redirection was working for us before the last M2P upgrade.

Any help/advice gratefully received.

• Paul Kevin

Hey there Jez ,

Sorry for the late response on this. Kindly use the following code to redirect to the desired URL after registration

<?php
      add_action( 'ms_controller_frontend_register_user_complete', 'ms_custom_after_registration', 10, 3 );
      function ms_custom_after_registration( $user, $request, $controller ) {
      	$custom_url = "https://videobiker.co.uk/account/complete";
      	wp_safe_redirect( $custom_url );
      	exit;
      }
      ?>

The issue with emails is currently being tested and will be fixed in the next version or I can send it to you after full tests are complete.

Warm Regards
      Paul Kevin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.