Membership 2 Pro - login widget password reset not working

The reset password in the Membership 2 Pro login widget isn't working. When I input a username or email address and click "Reset Password" it returns the message "Enter a username or e-mail address."

I've also tried the Membership 2 Pro shortcode for the login form... same problem.

I've checked the wp-login.php to get to the password reset, and it works fine.

• Milan

Hello @scottmcculloch,

I hope you are having a good day and thanks for asking us.

I can not replicate issue you mentioned on my sandbox site. I tried resetting password of one of my sandbox site's membership member, process of resetting password went well. Email was sent on member's email address and link also worked like charm.

Are you not getting email or is there something else taking place on your end ? Please advice further on this so that we can grab issue context fast and properly.

Cheers,
    Milan Savaliya.

• scottmcculloch

Hi @Milan,

On our site the reset password form doesn't even successfully submit... when I click the "reset password" button, it immediately returns the message "Enter a username or email address" right above the form.

It does not process beyond that at all... no email is sent, it doesn't seem to recognize that a username or email address is actually in the field.

You can try our staging site: http://workdayproject.staging.wpengine.com and try resetting the password for username sinemac66 or email address sinemac66@me.com

Thanks,
    Scott

• scottmcculloch

I disabled the https on the site... the password reset from the Membership 2 Pro login module is still not working. I don't know what else to try (especially since it's working on a different site).

The default Wordpress login screen password reset works fine... so it's just something with Membership 2 Pro login module I guess. I may "hack" the module to make the password reset link go to the wp-login.php page instead of having it try to reset within the login module itself. At least that will get it working for now.

• scottmcculloch

I've done a whole lot more testing...

- Tested Membership 2 Pro login widget on different sites on same hosting service -- works fine
    - Tested different login widgets on the problem site -- all work fine
    - Tested [ms-membership-login] shortcode (instead of widget) on problem site -- does not work
    (I'm testing on a staging version of the problem site... pulled from the live site, so same overall setup)
    - On the staging site (after creating the site from the live site) I updated Membership 2 Pro to make sure it wasn't an issue with being 1 release behind

I'm at a loss.
    For now I can use one of the other login widgets... but the detective in me wants to figure out the problem with this one site, to know where the conflict is.

• scottmcculloch

I was still unable to figure out what was wrong, but given no one would be using the site on the weekend I decided to go ahead with any updates that were available. It appears that fixed it.

The odd thing is two of the other sites I was testing on that didn't have the problem were also using older versions of some of the same plugins, and were an update or two behind on WP also.

In any case, for now it seems all is well.

• scottmcculloch

Well, now this is really weird... I have done nothing since yesterday when it was working fine, but decided to try out the password reset just now before talking to one of our team members to confirm it is fixed... and now it's not working again!!!! What is going on?

Last night after updating everything I tried it several times and it always worked, now today it's not working. I'm the only one with admin access, so I know nothing has been changed.

I'm pulling my hair out!

The password reset form is behaving as though it doesn't recognize anything has been input in the username/email field... it gives the same message as if I were to leave it blank. What's up with that?

• Milan

Hello @scottmcculloch,

Hope you are doing well. I've reopened this ticket as you got problem again.

Dear member I registered myself as one of user of your site and used Membership login widget to reset my password. It worked fine. I received email confirming that I've initiated password resetting process. I've clicked link which let me to the password resetting page where I've reset my password. And finally try to login with new password and site allowed me to do so.

So conclusion here is that its working fine now. You have indicated that its works fine for sometime and sometime is don't. Then there can be issue with something else or your email provider ? Sometime email server sends emails to spam folder because of filters they use. Have you checked your spam folder ?

Please also ensure that you are not getting some javascript error( see browser console when you are not able to use reset functionality ) because sometime javascript error prevents form's ajax functionality.

And please also confirm its working fine now. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Milan Savaliya.

• scottmcculloch

Hi @Milan,

Did you enable the Membership 2 Pro login widget on the main site or edit it on the staging site?

The main site is using a different login widget right now as a workaround. On the staging site I've "hacked" the Membership 2 Pro login widget to have the "forgot password" link redirect to wp-login.php.

The Membership 2 Pro login wasn't active in its default state when you were testing, so I just want to make sure I'm clear what you did and on which site.

Thank you for suggesting checking the console - I hadn't thought of that. Nothing came up (I've just re-enabled the Membership 2 Login widget without my hack).

It's not an email problem... no email is sent at all, I am quite sure. The problem happens before that -- when you input your username and click "Reset Password" you get the error message on the login widget itself "Enter a username or e-mail address."... it's acting the same as if you left the username field blank. It gives the same error if you input a completely invalid username or email, so it's not evaluating the field contents.

Thanks,
    Scott

PS. I'm going to enable a workaround on the live site, so let's do any testing on the staging site now.

• Milan

Hello Scott,

Hope you are doing well.

I did conduct my testing on your staging site the one which you've entered in this thread's problem domain which is "domain.staging.wpengine.com"

As you've removed your workaround from Membership 2 pro widget I conducted my test again on same site and here are my results.

Its creating exact same issue which you've mentioned in your previous article. Its seems to me that input box is not detecting email or username in it. Here I want to mention that it was working fine when I tested, but now its not.

To assist you better on I need access to your staging site ? Would you please grant me support staff access so that I can check in depth regarding your issue ?. You can grant me support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Cheers,
    Milan Savaliya.

• Milan

Hello @scottmcculloch,

Thanks for enabling support staff access,

I thought support staff access will let me tweak Membership Login menu widget with different parameters, but it seems to me that you've hard coded it inside theme's core files right ?

It its okay to you can you include snippet in which you've used Membership Login Shortcode ? Can you please also check that its causing issue with other themes too ?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
    Milan Savaliya.

• scottmcculloch

Hi @Milan,

The only changes I made to Membership Login Shortcode is to add a class to the submit button.

I just double-checked, and found that I had added a class to the form also (I think I did that before I realized I could to it in the widget parameters)... I've removed the extra class from the form in the Membership Login Shortcode... there are no other changes to that code.

(Also, I couldn't figure out how to get it working by copying into my theme folder, so I've edited the files within the Membership plugin folder(s) and made copies in my theme just to remind me what changes I made.)

Here's the full class-ms-view-shortcode-login.php file in use:
    EDIT: I pasted the wrong file... here's the right one:

Removed

Thanks,
    Scott

• Milan

Hello Scott,

Hope you are doing well. :slight_smile:

I've just removed code from your last post as it should not be disclosed openly. Sorry for that.

Dear member I had requested code snippet in which you've used [ms-membership-login] shortcode. :slight_smile: But anyway its seems to me that I am not able to help you further on this. :So I've flagged our SLS( Second Line Support ) staff to assist you further. Here one thing I want to make sure is that it may take some more time for our SLS staff to reply you than normal staff member like me. So please be patient meantime.

We hope cooperation from you. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
    Milan Savaliya.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Scott,

I hope you're well today!

I've just visited your staging site and I can see what you're talking about here. I'd like to eliminate some possible causes here so could you please give following steps a try?

Before anything listed below, please update the Membership 2 Pro plugin to the current 1.0.2.7 version that's just been released and is addressing some login related issues among others.

1. Make sure that the WPEngine's cache is cleared and disabled for the site and check if the issue still occurs; WPEnginge's cache is known to be quite, let's say, "extreme" and sometimes needs to be specifically addressed by plugin's code

2. If this didn't help in any way, please run a full theme/plugin conflict test procedure as described on a flowchart in this article:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

3. If there's no improvement still, please add following lines to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

It's best to add these lines right above the "/* That's all, stop editing..." line.

This will turn on WordPress debugging and write its output to the "debug.log" file inside "/wp-content/" folder on your server. Once the debugging is enabled, please run through "Lost password" procedure (the one that's not working) a few times and share the "debug.log" file content with me here (you may either rename the file giving it a ".txt" extension and attach to the post or just paste the text - please remember to remove all sensitive data though first).

It would be also great if you could grant me a support access to your staging site through our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin as described here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• scottmcculloch

Thanks @Adam Czajczyk

I disabled all plugins other than Membership 2 Pro, and the issue continued unchanged.
    I then switched to the TwentySixteen theme, and it worked.

So, it appears to be a conflict with our theme.

I checked and found the theme framework has an update, so I updated that and re-enabled the theme... and back to not working.

I added the debug code to the wp_config.php -- I'm not seeing a debug.log file showing up in /wp-content/

I've enabled support access.

Thanks,
    Scott

• scottmcculloch

Here's an odd thing... I'm using the same theme here: http://onlinelearn.staging.wpengine.com/ without this same problem.

So, it works fine, with same theme at these sites:
    http://onlinelearn.staging.wpengine.com/
    https://aciste.org/

And does not work on these sites:
    http://workdayproject.staging.wpengine.com/
    http://kimpton.trimergence.com/

All the same theme... 3 of 4 all on the same WPEngine account (Aciste.org is hosted elsewhere)

Seems weird to me. :wink:

Scott

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Scott,

Mind if I jump in here :slight_smile:

I see that the sites you are having issue on has widget in menu and in sidebar, and this is most likely the cause of this issue.
    To be more precise, you have two forms with same IDs for fields, so now when you click login on one form the plugin will actually check both of them since it checks by field ID.
    Because of that the plugin will find an empty field which doesn't allow you to log in.

To check if this is indeed the case, can you try leaving only one of the fields and try it then?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• scottmcculloch

Hi @Predrag Dibasic

Thanks for jumping in, but that's not the issue... I only added it to the sidebar because when I switched to the TwentySixteen theme to test there was no menu, so I had to put it there.

I have tested it in the sidebar, on the menu, in a page... it doesn't seem to matter... with my chosen theme it's not working on those two sites... but it is working on the other two sites with the same theme.

If you visit the staging site now, I have my chosen theme, and removed the login widget from the menu bar so it only exists in the sidebar... still doesn't work.

Also, login works fine... it's only the reset password that does not, and acts as if there's no content in the form field.

Thanks,
    Scott

• Milan

Hello @scottmcculloch,

Hope you are doing well. :slight_smile:

First of all thanks a lot for conducting all then testing which are described by my colleagues @Adam Czajczyk and @Predrag Dubajic.

As far since this issue has started we have conducted all the possible tests which can be possible cause. But as we are still with no result. I think its time for our SLS guys to jump in. :slight_smile: I've flagged them again for you so it works little faster than before. Hopefully they will have some solution for you. :slight_smile:

Meantime we request you to be patient. :slight_smile:

Thanks for being with us.

Cheers,
    Milan Savaliya.

• scottmcculloch

Hi @Predrag Dubajic, @Milan & @Adam Czajczyk

Although I said Predrag's comment didn't capture the issue because it wasn't working even when I had only one instance of the MS Login widget published, I was wrong -- this has been working away in the back of my mind, and this morning I realized that my theme has a widget position for "offscreen" (for slideout menus, etc for mobile devices) and I had an instance of MS Login widget there! OMG! So I removed it, and sure enough, the password reset now works!

So, I guess I just need to use a different login widget for the "offscreen" position.

Thanks for all your help on this! And thanks Predrag for jumping in -- you led me to the right answer.

Scott

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.