Membership 2 Pro MailChimp Add-On doesn't work correctly

Hi,

We have a Membership 2 Pro live site with the MailChimp add-on at http://www.floridanewsflash.com

We want the MailChimp add-on to add new registered members to the mailing list, but we don't want them to ever be removed from that list. So I set it up like this:

Registered users Mailing List (not members): Daily Headlines
Members mailing List: Daily Headlines
Deactivated memberships mailing list: Daily Headlines

The thinking here is that once they become a member, then if they cancel they won't be removed from the list. But that's not what's happening, and when you have more than one membership the behavior is even more unwelcome.

If somebody signs up for the free membership, they get added to the mailing list Daily Headlines. But if they cancel, they get an email from MailChimp that they were removed from the list, but then the plugin adds them back to the lst because they're a "deactivated" member.

If somebody who is a free member signs up for a Premium Membership, your software removes them from the mailing list and adds them back to it. We set it up to be tiered, not simultaneous memberships, so users have to become free members, only then can they join premium, and if they cancel they drop back to free.

In all of my testing, if a user cancels the free membership they are removed from Daily Headlines and re-added because Registered Users (non-members) is set to the same list.

In all of my testing, if a user joins the premium membership, they are removed and re-added to Daily Headlines because they can only be in one membership at a time, and your software removes them and re-adds them to Daily Headlines because effectively the free membership is cancelled (so they're removed from Daily Headlines) and a premium membership is created (so they're added to Daily Headlines).

In all of my testing, even if we have separate lists:
non-registered: list1
members: list2
deactivated: list3
your software still removes them from list2 and re-adds them to list2 if they go from a free membership to a business membership.

Furthermore, It's not enough to have a "members mailing list" because we have multiple tiers of membership and we might want to market differently to free members than we do to premium members. Because your software doesn't provide this functionality, we can't target market. Each membership should be able to be associated with a specific mailing list, not just one blanke "members" list.

There must be a way to prevent your software from unsubscribing users automatically. We feel that once they get on the mailing list they should be able to stay on the mailing list, even if they decide to cancel their membership. We provide a way for them to unsubscribe, and this is typically the standard behavior for most sites I've cancelled from over the years (I keep getting the emails till I unsubscribe manually).

Thanks.

• Nastia

Hello @Sam, I hope you are well today!

I'm sorry to hear you have this issue.

Would you please clarify some details for me

non-registered: list1

There is no option to send email to non-registered user. Perhaps you ment Registered users that are not members (?)

your software still removes them from list2 and re-adds them to list2 if they go from a free membership to a business membership

To what list, users has been added? To List 1 or to List 2?

Furthermore, It's not enough to have a "members mailing list" because we have multiple tiers of membership and we might want to market differently to free members than we do to premium members

Right now there is no such option in Mmebership 2 Pro. You can post this request in Features & Feedback forum to give it more exposure amongst other members of the community. More +1’s a feature request get more likely it would be considered for development.

If you require this function any time soon, then please feel free to post a new job in our Jobs & Pros section on https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/ so that a skilled developer can do that for you.

Please advise,

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Sam

Hi Nastia,

Yes I apologize for mis-stating "non-registered" instead of "registered (not members)". It should have said:

registered (non members): list1

To answer the 2nd part more clearly:

If a visitor becomes a free member, they get added to list2. If they then become a Business member, they get removed from list2 (the user gets and email from MailChimp) and added right back to list2.

To answer the 3rd part, I'm not going to agree that this is a "nice idea". It's an obvious design flaw that should be in the center of the radar for the design and development team. You have a membership plugin that supports multiple memberships, horizontal and vertical, which naturally requires different mailing lists for different memberships. The implementation feels like an afterthought that wasn't given much thought.

• Nastia

Hello @Sam, I hope this message finds you well!

your software still removes them from list2 and re-adds them to list2 if they go from a free membership to a business membership.

This is the current logic of Membership 2 Pro plugin. I ask a developer about this, he suggest to change the MailChimp email settings to be set to 1 hour with "Automated MailChimp Email" premium feature.
    If the user was removed from the list within 1 hour, then he should not get the email.

If it's not an option for you, then you will need to hire a developer to review the MailChimp Add-on and find a custom solution (i.e. copy the add-on and modify the code to work)

The add-on code in in the following root:
    plugins/membership/app/addons/mailchimp

Please, feel free to post a new job in our Jobs & Pros section on:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

To answer the 3rd part, I'm not going to agree that this is a "nice idea". It's an obvious design flaw that should be in the center of the radar for the design and development team. You have a membership plugin that supports multiple memberships, horizontal and vertical, which naturally requires different mailing lists for different memberships. The implementation feels like an afterthought that wasn't given much thought.

I can move this post to Features and Feedback forum. SO if more peoples see's it and most likely that this would be considered for future development.

If you require additional information, please, let me know!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.