[Membership 2 Pro] Media protection does none of what it is advertised- what's wrong?

I've activated the Media protection add-on for Membership 2. Nothing happens. None of the advertised options appear. Everything looks the same as when I didn't have it activated. I can't figure out what's wrong. It just doesn't seem to be activated, even though it is.
Second question/issue - I don't mean to be rude here at all and I apologize if it sounds that way. The issues is that I don't even get what the add-on does. It doesn't protect the file url, but it creates another, alterantive file url, apparently for the purpose of hiding the real file url. But how does that help? Users will have access to the "fake" or "masking" url, which actually isn't fake at all -- it provides full access to the file. And they can share that full access to the file just by sharing the new url. Why is it better to have second url for the file? The idea is to protect the file from unauthorized viewers, ideally. The add-on here only seems to create a new url for the file, which doesn't achieve that goal -- nor does it achieve any security goal, does it? It's like saying, "Instead of showing everyone that your file is at http://www.mysite.com/file1 , you'll show them that it's at http://www.mysite.com/file 2. They'll only be able to access it at this new url, not the 'real' one." But what's the situation in which this helps? If everybody can access my file at the second address without a password or membership or log-in, then how does it count as "protection" to create this second url? Without or without this plugin, my website's files will be accessible by url without a password and without memberships. Hopefully I'm missing something obvious. Many thanks for your great plugins and I look forward to hearing from you.

• Ash

Hello m

Media protection addon usually change the original URL, right. If anyone has the direct URL to the file, then we can't protect that, it's not possible. That's why M2 media protection addon masks the URL, that means creates an alternative URL for each file.

Now the question is, how that URL is protected? Well, when you enable media protection addon, you need to click on details and then within the popup, you need to enable "Protect Individual Media files":

And then, you can add rule for each files from Membership 2 > Protection Rules > Media Library Items:

So, there you can set access to each files and map to any membership :slight_smile:

Hope it clarifies a bit :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.