[Membership 2 Pro] Membership 2 pro and Mailchimp GDPR Compliance

Hi There

We currently have our membership integrated with the main chimp add-on so that someone who joins as a member automatically gets added to the mailchimp list. In light of GDPR we will need to add a tick box so they explicitly consent to receiving marketing emails from us. The functionality is not there at the moment but are you planning on adding it in to membership 2 pro? I'm also using a buddypress registration page as we have additional field such as address that we capture.

If you're not planning on adding this as standard functionality can you advise how it can be achieved?

Many Thanks

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello nifty

In the mailchimp settings you may not enable this option – “Automatically opt-in new users to the mailing list.”.

This will send a confirmation email to the client and if he doesn’t approve, the email won’t be added to your MailChimp list. Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• nifty
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi There

I know the double opt in functionality exists but we’d like a tick box on the registration form so the subscriber doesn’t have to go through the double opt in process.

It’s much easier for them to just tick a box on the registration form. Is this possible?

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello nifty

Please give the following mu-plugin a try. This is specifically written for the BuddyPress Registration form and adds a text link and confirmation checkbox to the form. If the checkbox is not selected, the registration button is disabled.

https://gist.github.com/JRMorris77/eda87037a13e4220ae6243d208362548

Let us know if you have any further questions. We’ll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• nifty
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi James

Thanks so much for this but we don’t want to restrict sign ups to only those that agree to receive marketing emails from us we want to give them the option to tick the box if they do want to receive emails. Some people may choose to register as a member of the website but not want to receive our marketing emails so we need to ensure that it isn’t mandatory to tick the box to register.

Can you help with this?

Many Thanks

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello nifty

Hmm… Reviewing this a bit closer there’s 3 issues…

1. The form element has to be added to the BuddyPress registration form and be optional

2. The element has to affect the M2P MailChimp addon (opt-in/don’t opt-in)

3. The double opt-in has to be bypassed

I’m afraid this is a bit more advanced and will require pinging our SLS Team (code experts) to get their valuable feedback. I’ve flagged this ticket so they will take a look as soon as technically possible. An update will be posted here when more information is available.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Ari
    • Recruit

Hey nifty

Hope you are fine, sorry for delay here!

There are no direct way to do this! But I made a solution for you. I made it by:

1: Enabled Mailchimp Opt In filter by changing one plugin file – ( No worry for future plugin update, as this changes already implemented in the working version ).

2: BuddyPress – Show the checkbox field in the registration page.

3: Mu Plugin – For connect M2P Mailchimp & BuddyPress to filter the user email depend on the BuddyPress field.

Please follow my instruction to make it:

== 1: Change Plugin File ==

Download the class-ms-addon-mailchimp.php.zip file.

Unzip it and replace the plugins/membership-pro/app/addon/mailchimp/class-ms-addon-mailchimp.php file.

== 2: Prepare BuddyPress ==

From Membership 2 -> Add-ons page, enable the BuddyPress Integration Add-ons.

And Configure it properly like below image:

Now create a profile checkbox field and remember the field ID for 3rd step. How to get the field Id? Here's the screenshot:

You will find the field ID by inspect this element. this will look like: field_2[] here 2 is the ID.

== 3: Activate mu-plugin ==

Download the mu-plugin file from this link: https://gist.github.com/wpmudev-sls/659f44a63d174f3ead5062b4a2c67888

Unzip it, in the folder you will see m2p-mailchimp-optin-integration-with-buddypress.php file.

Inside wp-content folder create mu-plugins folder if already not exist.

Upload that mu-plugin php file inside the mu-plugins folder. This fill will automatically get activated by WordPress.

Now change the $field_id from 2 to your remembered one. Make sure you added the correct one.

Hope this will work fine! It worked in my test site.

Let me know here If you have any issue regarding this issue.

Warm Regards,

Ari

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.