[Membership 2 Pro] Membership is not sending automatic messages

I activated automatic messages, add-on also.
But it isn't sending some messages. Like when the payment fail, it is supposed to send a message to the user, but it's not happening.

Some messages are fine, but not all of them.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Daniel,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "Additional Automated Messages" add-on does add additional notifications but it doesn't automatically enable them - enabling that add-on will not make Membership 2 Pro automatically send more notifications that it usually does.

You would need to configure it first. To do this, go to the "Membership 2 -> Settings -> Automated Email Responses" page and you'll find a drop-down list there, listing all available notifications. Once you select a notification from a list and click on "Load Template" you'll then be able to edit it but also to enable it - by switching the gray toggle (as shown on example screenshot below):

If this is not a case and you already got required notifications enabled, I'd like to take a closer look at the site. To let me do this, please enable support access to it by going to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end and clicking on "Grant support access" button there.

Let me also know which of the messages are being delivered fine and which are not.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Daniel!

Thank you for your response!

I checked your site and while all these messages seem to be properly enabled (plus the site's using SMTP - which is working fine; I tested it just to make sure), I noticed that you're using three payment gateways out of which one is custom.

For your recurring memberships available gateways are PayPal Standard and your custom one. Are you able to "cross-compare" members that didn't receive these messages (and they should) with the gateway they used for payment? I'm wondering if they are all from the same gateway, regardless which one would that be, or if they used different ones.

I have also enabled debug log option in Easy WP SMTP settings so it would be good if we could wait until any of these not-working e-mails is supposed to go out and then check that log (you can get it from "Settings -> Easy WP SMTP -> Additional Settings" page (there's a link at the bottom).

Hopefully, that will give some clue on what is happening.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Daniel,

I checked transaction logs in Membership 2 Pro and I found some failed payments via PayPal, though they all have "Could not determine a logged in user" message in details. In such cases indeed that might be a problem because if a user cannot be determined, that would be a reason for failed transaction but also plugin wouldn't actually know where to send the failed message.

Easy WP SMTP log there doesn't seem to be any trace of the failed payment notifications but on the other hand I have enabled it just a couple hours ago. According to M2P transaction logs, there was a single failed payment since then (assuming that time zones match) but with "Could not determine a logged in user" again.

That said, I'd like to ask you one more question (I should have asked it in my previous post already, sorry about that):

Could you please go to your PayPal dashboard and see if you can find there IPN (Instant Payment Notifications) log/history? Specifically, check what does it say for those failed transactions, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Daniel

Hey I've got the IPN history in PayPal, but on those invoices there is the error "Recurring payment missing" (something like that, I'm translating the error).

When you say "Could not determine a logged in user" it's right, the IPN would not get the logged user, because the USER would be the paypal in this case. So the gateway should get the email address to send the failure messages from invoice number, isn't it?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Daniel!

I think the IPN error here might be important but I'm not entirely sure why it's happening. At this point, I'll need to call our Second Line Support for help. I have already forwarded the case to them so they could check this.

Could you please re-open support access? It's time-valid so it expires automatically after some time. SLS guys will have to access the site again to check it so please make sure that support access is kept open and keep an eye on this thread for further information.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Ivan

Hi Daniel !

Have you still this issue? If so - please, provide me with additional login credentials, I can look into it more.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    Please visit our private Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: Ivan Svyrskyi"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

link back to this thread for reference
    any other relevant urls

Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

FTP/SFTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Note: Don't send any credentials via this forum because it's public forum.

Best,
    Ivan.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.