[Membership 2 Pro] Multiple complementary memberships: only 1 membership is considered?

I have different memberships, based on roles. So if someone is performing 2 roles, he would have 2 memberships, and they may well be complementary to each other. But only the membership with most permissive level seems applied.

I am trying to understand this concept.
Does it mean that I have to set up a different membership for each possible combination of roles? That may result in a large number of memberships.
But if that is the way it is intended, what's the purpose of assigning multiple memberships, as 1 ( the most permissive) will do?

Can you please help me understand how to set it up properly?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello mpress

To assign multiple membership to a member, you will need multiple membership addon active.

Please go to Dashboard > Membership 2 > Addons and enable multiple membership addon:

Or if I misunderstood your issue, please feel free to suggest, and I will try to help.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• mpress
    • Code Wrangler

Hi Ash,

I did that.
    My current understanding is that the memberships are considered to be subsets of each other, and the membership with most options wins. E.g. if one membership has options 1, 2, 3 and 4, and another has options 1, 4 and 5, than the first membership is applicable.
    This is what I understand from the documentation, and the way I see it working.

What I was expecting is that the memberships are considered to be complementary. In that case the result of the multiple memberships would be options 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Is there a way to have it working as complementary?

Thanks.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi mpress,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I'm not sure, whether I fully understand what exact you are trying to achieve, so please do advise, if I misses anything.

E.g. if one membership has options 1, 2, 3 and 4, and another has options 1, 4 and 5, than the first membership is applicable.
    This is what I understand from the documentation, and the way I see it working.

Could I know what you meant by options in the above example? In general, a page/posts is protected/hidden based on memberships levels, this would be the same in any case irrespective of the users, and it's roles.

You could use multiple membership add-on, to assign more than one memberships to an user. However, it would still protect/hide the content based on Protection rules configured under Membership 2 > Protection Rules. Which works based only on membership levels.

Suppose for example, if there is Membership A protecting Page A, B, C, and Membership B protecting page E, F, G.

If User one is assigned to Membership A, he would have access to A, B, C pages. Once Multiple Membership add-on is enabled, you can assign Membership B to the same user, which should allow the user to access pages E, F, G.

So, user would have access to A, B, C, D, E, F, G pages, in that cases it would be complementary. However, the User one would still have 2 different memberships assigned to itself, ie Membership A & B, and both will be treated by the plugin separately..

If that's not what you meant, then just to be sure, is the query specifically to Multiple Membership add-on in Membership, or some other add-on? Could you then please point out where exact in the documentation you notice about memberships treated as complementary, so that we could guide you better regarding this.

Sorry, if I missed anything, looking forward to your reply. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• mpress
    • Code Wrangler

Hi nithin,

I have defined membership levels based in the roles people have in the organisation.
    E.g. Role / Membership A gives access to admin options Posts, Comments and Pages, and Role / Membership B gives access to Posts and custom post type Music.

I would expect that if a user has both memberships assigned to him, he would have access to Posts, Comments and Pages, as well as to Music.

But what I see happening is that he only has access to Posts, Comments and Pages (Membership A).
    Which is in accordance to what the documentation says:
    "Important note: Members who are in multiple membership levels will default to the permissions of the most permissive level they belong to, if there’s a conflict. For example, let’s say you have a craft-based site where members can join any memberships they want, and each membership is based on a craft. If the Knitters have access to all custom post types, but Stitchers do not, and Bev is a member of both Knitters and Stitchers, Bev will have access to all custom post types."

How do I give this user the options that belong to both roles?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi mpress,

I would expect that if a user has both memberships assigned to him, he would have access to Posts, Comments and Pages, as well as to Music.

Yes, that's how it should work. What the documentation you have pointed works only when there is a conflict with regards to protection. In general, the user will have access to Comments, Pages, Custom Post Type Music, and Posts, ie set in both Membership A & B.

If the Knitters have access to all custom post types, but Stitchers do not, and Bev is a member of both Knitters and Stitchers, Bev will have access to all custom post types."

It's not subjective to 1st membership assigned to the user, and more related to which protection rules gives more freedom when there is a conflict.

That's in the above example meant in usage doc, if there is a conflict in terms of protection, then it'll default to the most permissive protection level for "Custom Post Types", ie which protection rules gives more freedom will be implemented, which can be subjective based on your setting. In the above use case, it would be that the user will have access to All custom post types.

In the example given in usage doc, suppose we take the following condition ie Stitchers have access to all custom post type, and knitters is protecting a post in that specific custom post type, and pages.

Then Bev user will still have access to all custom post types as that's the protection rule which is more permissive, and will also have access to pages.

But what I see happening is that he only has access to Posts, Comments and Pages (Membership A).

Could you please point out a live use case where you are able to notice such an issue in your website? So that we could see what's being missed?

Regards,
    Nithin

• mpress
    • Code Wrangler

nithin,

I am happy to hear that the multiple memberships are meant to be complementary to each other.

Here's the live case.

I have 2 memberships:
    - Liturgieplanner - with access to (a.o.) custom post type Liturgie and Muziek
    - Ledenadministrateur - with access to (a.o.) custom post type Familieberichten.

Each one of them in itself results in the proper admin menu options (for these cpt's)
    See attached screenprints.

User Fleur has membership Liturgieplanner. But when I add the membership Ledenadministrateur, nothing changes in the admin menu. The cpt's Familieberichten should be available, but they are not.

Please advise.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi mpress,

I tried to access your site, and created a new user "wpmutest", and added a new role to that user "edtest" to test how the site behaves.

However, I was able to notice Database error while browsing through the dashboard which made it tough to test the current scenario raised in the ticket, database error seems more related to the hosting providers side, as it was occurring randomly, so checking with the host should help.

However, now I'm getting:

Are you working on your site? Please do check what your host has to say regarding this issue, and if you still have issue, would recommend to open a new chat, so that this could be looked upon closely.

Please do let us know once it's fixed, so that we could give a closer look at the current issue.

Regards,
    Nithin

• mpress
    • Code Wrangler

Hi nithin,

I noticed the database connection error as well. Actually, I was with Luis in a chat trying to resolve another issue when it happened. I contacted the hosting provider and they advised me to set debug to true, what I did.

you can find the contents of the errorfile here: /debug-20feb2019/

Does that help?

Btw, the site is back.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi mpress,

I could see that the query raised in here is related to the one asked in here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-2-pro-how-to-assign-a-membership-to-an-admin-user?replies=14#post-1380794

As in both tickets, the issues noticed are with custom roles assigned to the "fluer" users, and with the correct admin menus not being visible, with multiple memberships assigned.

I have already escalated the issue to the SLS team, and they'll get back to you regarding the issues here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-2-pro-how-to-assign-a-membership-to-an-admin-user#post-1380794

Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.