Some users are not getting access to parts of the site they should be able to access. I've checked that they have active membership in the correct membership group. I've compared settings to other members that do have proper access and can't see anything different.
I've enabled support access.
For example, two test accounts -- user asmphd66 does not have access to the "Tools & Reports Dashboard" menu item or page, but sinemac66 does.
EDIT: I should perhaps add that I have not updated Membership 2 Pro to the current version (we're one update behind, I think) because I have some minor edits to a few of the files and I don't have time to deal with re-doing those right now and it's a live site.