[Membership 2 Pro] Track referrer of members in Memberships 2

A website will sell memberships, both as monthly recurring, and annual recurring with a lower price. We need to know who referred each member.

Is it possible to somehow "tag" members signing up to the person that referred them? It's possible we can create a subsite for each referrer, where they would market their membership to their following.

These are my thoughts, are any of them possible with Memberships 2?

1. Invitation code that is unique to the referrer, can I see all the members referred by that code?
2. A drop down on the registration form to choose who referred you. (Looks possible with BuddyPress?)
3. Tracking via affiliate link? So people that came via the referrer's domain can be determined which affiliate referred them.
4. Membership 2 installed on every referrer's site, so the memberships are unique to the referrer. Though I think this would need PayPal setting up on every subsite, with unique IPN urls? So possibly need a PayPal account per referrer?

Or any other ideas?

• Nastia

Hello Techtomic

Trust you're doing well!

1. Invitation code that is unique to the referrer, can I see all the members referred by that code?

In Invitation Code a maximum number of users that can use the same code. Left it 0 for an unlimited number of uses.

2. A drop down on the registration form to choose who referred you. (Looks possible with BuddyPress?)

Yes, this is possible with BuddyPress Profile fields. Please make sure to enable BuddyPress Integration add-on, and within the add-on's options:
    - Use BuddyPress Registration
    - Show xProfile Fields

Set up custom registration fields from Users > Profile Fields

3. Tracking via affiliate link? So people that came via the referrer's domain can be determined which affiliate referred them.

This can be done with the Affiliates plugin. Go to Affiliates > Add-ons and activate the Membership 2 add-on.

From Membership 2 > Memberships > Access options, set up Reward on subscription value

4. Membership 2 installed on every referrer's site, so the memberships are unique to the referrer. Though I think this would need PayPal setting up on every subsite, with unique IPN urls? So possibly need a PayPal account per referrer?

To have Memberships per subsite on a multisite network, you can activate the plugin on each site. Admin of the subsite can set up their own payment gateway from settings.

If the main purpose is to gain profit from the Membership 2 plugin on the subsites, please consider setting up Pro Sites plugin. The plugins allow charging users for having a subsite on your multisite.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Techtomic

Hello Nastia,

I appreciate your response but I think you missed what I was asking. I was asking whether any of the 4 ideas I had would work to track which referrer a member came via.

So, say we have 10 sales people. In the admin interface of the site somewhere, I need to be able to find out which sales person recruited which member.

So if I had a custom profile field I could have the user choose which sales person referred them, but that's a step the user shouldn't need to do, can cause inaccurate matches as it's prone to user error.

If it's possible through Affiliates to see which member was attached to which affiliate, that might work. Or if I could use an invitation code that was given to the sales person, so that all the people he signed up could be seen to have "his" invitation code, that would work. But does Affiliates work this way, so the affiliate can see which members he referred? Or can an invitation code show which members used which invitation code?

My question on subsites was that if I created a subsite for every sales person to track their own signups (members) could I do it where all payments go to a single PayPal account? As it looked as though setting up PayPal on every site individually meant needing a unique IPN url. Which would presumably necessitate multiple PayPal accounts. (The sales person isn't getting paid directly here, the central company is. Even though they may get a commission later.)

Hope this explains what I'm looking for.
    Thank you!

• Oguz

Hey Techtomic ,

Hope you're well.

BuddyPress way can solve the problem because of the search allows you to search by custom fields too, but looks like using our Affiliates plugin (https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-mu-affiliate/) can be a more automatic way. Affiliates plugin creates a specific link for the users to automatic tracking, so if one user comes to your site with specific user link it will be assigned to that user.

Beside you can see the list of users referred by the same user on users page, it also provides useful statistics about your referral system. So I am sure it can solve your needs in this case.

The subsite way I think can cause more issue than the solution I think. It can't be too based on what you want to achieve after sign up, but still, Affiliates plugin looks like a better solution.

Cheers,
    Oguz

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.