Membership 2 pro won't install, site in crisis

Why is Membership 2 install failing?:

Downloading install package from https://premium.wpmudev.org/wdp-un.php?action=install&key=c26c24b31e41c174de1e408d8ff537d0eaf47f7d&pid=1003656…

Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

Destination folder already exists. /data/20/1/2/11/1980174/user/2163170/htdocs/Investigate/wp-content/plugins/membership/

Plugin install failed.

Return to WPMU DEV Plugin

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

It seems you have already have membership plugin installed on your site or there is already membership directory created in your plugins directory therefore you are getting error.

To resolve the issue try deleting any existing membership plugin that you are using on your site and try deleting the membership directory on the following path on your server if any using FTP or cPanel file manager.

/data/20/1/2/11/1980174/user/2163170/htdocs/Investigate/wp-content/plugins/membership/

Please advise if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Ian Wishart, Michael here, really sorry for the delay!

Membership 2 Pro does in fact upgrade over Membership Pro, importing:

- Membership levels
    - Subscription information/data
    - Member data from Membership

Just so you're aware though, to quote the usage page:

However, M2 will not import shortcodes or content protection settings. So after upgrading, you will need to add in all your content protection settings for each membership level, and find and replace any Membership-generated shortcodes with M2 shortcodes.

In regards to the issues you've had with upgrading though, I'd be glad to get this all sorted for you, could you please send in the following via our secure contact form, so I can investigate this further:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't send you back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Ash

Hello @Ian Wishart

I hope you are well today.

If you remove membership first version of the plugin via FTP, it won't delete any of your subscribers. Though, to be 100% sure, it is recommend to take a backup of your entire database.

So, as Vinod said, delete the existing membership folder from /data/20/1/2/11/1980174/user/2163170/htdocs/Investigate/wp-content/plugins/ via FTP. Then install the membership 2 plugin and activate.

Now go to Membership 2 > Settings > Import tool > Import Data > Select membership and Import.

Please let me know if it works now :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Ian Wishart, Michael here! :slight_smile:

From the looks of it, it seems like you were trying to install Membership 2 Pro, while Membership Pro (the 1st version of our Membership plugin) was already installed, instead of doing a plugin upgrade from one version to the other. That would explain the notices you had seen before.

I did notice that Membership Pro was a few versions behind though, I was able to upgrade to the last version of our Membership Pro plugin for you by temporarily granting you a full subscription (as the subscription you had before was only for Membership 2 Pro), and I'm now seeing that the list of members is displaying properly again.

Interestingly enough though, when I logged in to your site, I saw that the 2Checkout gateway had been disabled inside of Membership Pro, I took the liberty of re-enabling that for you (I see that you've also got the PayPal Single Payments gateway enabled as well).

I haven't performed the upgrade to Membership 2 Pro as of yet, as I first wanted to see if the progress made so far allows you to proceed with handling your subscribers.

The reasoning behind this is that recurring 2Checkout subscriptions can't be imported presently with the importer in Membership 2 Pro, so if it's possible to sort the members in Membership Pro first (at least extend their access manually for now, advising them to switch over to PayPal for the payments), and then perform the upgrade at a more convenient time, I'd prefer to leave an opening for that first. :slight_smile:

Plus, as I mentioned before, the content protection rules would need to be re-established, so it'd be best to perform the upgrade when things are quiet (noting down the rules present inside of Membership Pro in the process). You've already been going through quite a bit, and I'd rather make this as smooth as possible for you.

Let me know how you wish to proceed please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.