Membership 2 reCaptcha Integration not working

When I look the add-ons of the Membership 2 there is reCaptcha integration but required plugin looks like no longer exist. So how can I use this add-on?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello marge,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "reCaptcha" add-on was for the wp-reCaptcha plugin that's been integrated with the Membership 2 Pro plugin in the past. Unfortunately, developers of that plugin decided to abandon it and it's no longer available but on some sites it's still installed. As it's still being used, we decided to keep that add-on in the plugin because removing it would break those sites.

For new installs there's no need for such integration. Try this plugin please:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/google-captcha/

There's no need to turn on the reCaptcha integration add-on for it.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dan
      • Virtual Headshot Guy

This is probably the most infuriating thing about this whole thread...someone who is responsible for customer service and support recommends a plugin here that REQUIRES AN UPGRADE to USE...and then doesn't actually work...

and "oh, i just never tested it"...

DUDE...

• Martin
    • Recruit

Hi there,

sorry to hijack this post but rather commenting here than opening the same topic again.
    I just upgraded to MS2 PRO and also would like to use a reCaptcha Plugin. However the above mentioned plugin does not support Buddypress Registration. They want me to buy a pro Version...

Which alternative plugin can I use?

• Adam Czajczyk
      • Support Gorilla

Hi Martin

You're right, it seems that they now support BP only with pro version (and I didn't have a chance to test it so I don't know how would it actually work with M2P together).

However, you could use a "trick" if you want to use BuddyPress registration. There's an add-on for BuddyPress integration in M2P which allows you to use protection rules, xprofile fileds and registration of BuddyPress in Membership 2 Pro. If you keep an option to integrated BP registration with Membership 2 Pro disabled (that's important: disabled, not enabled!):

- by default your visitors would be directed to the default M2P registration
      - however, you can simply remove the shortcode from that page and instead put a link to your BP registration page (or some sort of redirect with additional plugin or even .htaccess) which would also work fine
      - then this captcha plugin seems to be working fine with BuddyPress registration (even though it's quite old): https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-nocaptcha-register-box/

This would let visitors register via BuddyPress registration and you'd protect registration with captcha. Then, the drawback would be that they'd actually have to select memberships after they registered (so a "flow" kind of opposite to default M2P registration) but as registered users they would have full access to /memberships page where they can sign up after they are logged in. That, therefore, could be solved with some "smart messages/links" :slight_smile:

Best regards,
      Adam

• Dan
        • Virtual Headshot Guy

Again...another response for the sake of responding. Did you actually TEST THIS BEFORE PROVIDING IT AS A SOLUTION?

This DOESN"T ACTUALLY WORK...

So I have to ask: how much of the $17.95 for this USELESS PLUGIN that I bought and installed based on your recommendation did you receive?

That's the only reasonable explanation for something so blatantly incorrect.

• marge
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Adam,
    Following up on this thread since I'm still having issues. Have there been any changes in the reCaptcha. Using the integration as currently recommended in the setup, the captcha is the old picture select instead of checkbox.
    Do you have any updates on the best plugin for reCaptcha to use? Has the reCaptcha issue been fixed in WPMUDEV?

(Aside, I'm working with Ash on the integration of BP and M2 since the registration integration is not working.)

Thanks!
    Marge

• Adam Czajczyk
      • Support Gorilla

Hi Martin

Thank you for your feedback!

I let myself check the plugin as I wasn't familiar with it and it's a great finding, thank you for sharing it.

However, please be aware that it's not a solution if you're either using Membership 2 Pro registration form (you'd need a separate captcha plugin for this, i.e. one suggested eariler) and if you're using "BuddyPress Integration" M2P add-on with "Use BuddyPress registration" option enabled - in that case the captcha is not there as well. It will, however, work if BP registration is not integrated with M2P and the BP page is used for registration (e.g. visitors are redirected to BP registration page).

Best regards,
      Adam

• Dan
    • Virtual Headshot Guy

I am not sure which is more infuriating:
    the fact that I am paying for something that doesn't work...contains features which the developers KNOW do not work.

or

Buying a plugin for $17.95 that is USELESS...because it doesn't work with buddypress.

So can someone please tell me:
    HOW DO I INTEGRATE RECAPTCHA WITH BUDDYPRESS WITHOUT SPENDING ONE MORE DOLLAR ON USELESS PLUGINS SO THAT I DON"T END UP WITH 900 SPAM ACCOUNTS ON MY WEBSITE IN THE NEXT 7 DAYS?!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.