Membership 2 Recurring Membership Options

I'm wondering if it's possible to set up a membership option so that the user is given the option to select either recurring payments or pay a full amount for a single membership option.

If not, would it be best to set up two separate membership options, one for full payment and the other for recurring? The only reason that I've hesitated moving in this direction is the cap on the max # of recurring payments is only 10 (years). I didn't see a way in the system to do an upgrade "pro-rated" path once someone has been a member for a few years and wanted to payout the rest of the cost to upgrade to a full membership.

Any direction would be helpful. Thanks.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello adams5mt,

I'm wondering if it's possible to set up a membership option so that the user is given the option to select either recurring payments or pay a full amount for a single membership option.

At this moment memberships can have only one of four option for payments - not the choice of more than one.

If not, would it be best to set up two separate membership options, one for full payment and the other for recurring?

Yes, this would be the best (and I think only way) to do that - in fact I saw this on many of our members sites, so this rather common solution.

The only reason that I've hesitated moving in this direction is the cap on the max # of recurring payments is only 10 (years). I didn't see a way in the system to do an upgrade "pro-rated" path once someone has been a member for a few years and wanted to payout the rest of the cost to upgrade to a full membership.

I have to admit I don't quite understand what do you have in mind. Could you explain this more for me - I don't want to misunderstood and give you wrong directions.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• adams5mt

Happy to clarify.

We're planning to use Paypal Payments Standard Gateway to allow members to pay for their membership. I think that your second note answers my question on how to initially configure the memberships available.

We essentially have content that will be displayed once a member pays 25 a year for 10 years or pays 250 up front for lifetime access. Once a member pays 25 for 10 years they become a lifetime member. I am wondering two things here. Is there an option to say after the 10 years of payment for a member to be upgraded to "lifetime member" from "annual member" ? Is there an option if a member wishes in the middle of their annual membership (3 years, perhaps) that they wish to pay off the next 7 years to become a full member? Essentially pro-rate the next 7 years for full membership.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the best option may be to use the discount code feature to allow a member to sign up for a full membership at a lesser cost on a case by case basis.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @adams5mt,

Thank you for your reply.

Is there an option to say after the 10 years of payment for a member to be upgraded to "lifetime member" from "annual member" ?

No currently there isn't.

I will move this over to the features & feedback section. This way it can be considered for future development, and we can also see what other community members think about the feature request.

Is there an option if a member wishes in the middle of their annual membership (3 years, perhaps) that they wish to pay off the next 7 years to become a full member?

No there isn't. actually after a year their limited membership will be expired then then they can subscribe to any new membership but they have to pay whole payment for it which is on your case 250.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the best option may be to use the discount code feature to allow a member to sign up for a full membership at a lesser cost on a case by case basis.

Yes you are right, this is the best option for now to provide discount codes. You can use coupon add-on of membership plugin to achieve it.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.