Membership 2 requires WP to allow anyone can register

Hello,

I tried submitting this yesterday, but I cannot find it in the search. Sorry if submitted twice.

I noticed that in order for Membership 2 to allow new registrants, I must have the Settings/General/ Membership/ Anyone can register checkbox selected. However that has opened the way for dozens and dozens of spam Users. How do I allow visitors to sign up for M2 yet not leave myself vulnerable for all these robot User registrations?

Also, protected content is available to anyone logged into WP-- not just those who sign up via M2. I can see the advantage of this for the Admin, but there have been some Wordpress savvy visitors who have signed up via the WP log in and now have access to the protected content and I have not been able to capture them in my M2 All Members list. I don't want anyone to see the protected content unless they sign up with M2. Is there a way to make it so that WP Users don't get access to the protected content, or at least set it so that you have to be an admin to have access?

Thanks, Earl

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Earl,

How do I allow visitors to sign up for M2 yet not leave myself vulnerable for all these robot User registrations?

Solution would to use re-captcha for registration form. For example with this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/google-captcha/
    That should decrease amount of bots registration

I don't want anyone to see the protected content unless they sign up with M2. Is there a way to make it so that WP Users don't get access to the protected content, or at least set it so that you have to be an admin to have access?

You need to protect your content with Standard Membership - from your description it looks like you are now protecting it with Default Membership, and default one gives access to content for all logged in users that have not joined any membership yet.
    If you will protect content with Standard Membership then users will need to register AND join membership to get access to content.

I also noticed that you have older version of Membership 2? Is there a reason that you are not updating it to latest version?

kind regards,
    Kasia

admin

Hello Kasia and thank you for your response.

I'm not sure if you answered my first question, or perhaps I'm just not understanding. So please provide me with more detail. Where is it you are suggesting the Re-captcha goes-- on the standard Wordpress login or on the Membership 2 Login? Does the plugin you are recommending prohibit new Users, New Members, or both? Do I choose where to place the captcha or does it automatically install it as a default on all forms?

Thanks for your help.

Earl

Nithin

Hi admin,

Hope you are doing good today.

Where is it you are suggesting the Re-captcha goes-- on the standard Wordpress login or on the Membership 2 Login?

The reCaptcha will get applied to both ie default WordPress, and M2 Login forms, and also while registering new users.

Does the plugin you are recommending prohibit new Users, New Members, or both?

reCaptcha prohibits your website from spam entries from logging, and registering as new users. The plugin should help you in keeping your website spam free.

Do I choose where to place the captcha or does it automatically install it as a default on all forms?

You'll only have have to create the Site Key, and Secret Key for your site, by logging into this page:
    https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin#list

Once done, you can save the keys in the plugin settings under BWS Panel > Google Captcha > Settings > Authentication

This should automatically insert the captcha in your login, and register forms. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day.

Best Regards,
    Nitihn