Membership 2.0

Hi gang,

Well, it's been quite a while since we posted the v 1.1 beta of the membership plugin, but the updates to the plugin have continued to such an extent that we decided to skip the 1.1 release and go straight to the full blown version 2.0.

This update has *a lot* of changes, updates and brand new functionality. If you can, I suggest setting up a play site and getting to grips with the new toys before putting it on your live site.

A few of you who have been using the v1.1 beta will already have seen some of the updates, so what I'll do in this post is go through and list all the additions and then can go into more detail later on - as otherwise this post will be a considerable size.

Additional functionality

Quick start guide - just a little something to get you started.

URL Groups - this was in version 1.1 and allows you to specify specific urls or regular expressions to allow access to. Other than bug fixes, this remains unchanged.

Communications - pretty much a more advanced version of automessage but integrated directly into the membership plugin. Allows you to set up messages to send to your members on signup, x days after signup and y days before their current subscription is due to expire.

Pings - this is a biggie, and is only going to get better. You can now set up the system to send GET or POST messages to other URLs when a member joins or leaves a subscription, and even as they move through levels. It is a very generic bit of functionality and should be able to be directed to a number of uses (including creating users on external forums, adding them to mailing lists, etc..)

Account page - Specify a front end page and insert the account form shortcode and your users can edit their account details without needing to visit the sites back end.

Upgrades and Cancellations - a biggie that was missing (for some reason) from earlier versions of the plugin - users can now cancel their subscriptions directly from the site and upgrade / downgrade to other subscriptions. You can even limit the number of days between they can upgrade / downgrade.

Single payment gateways - the first being a paypal single payment gateway. What is this you ask? Well, it means that instead of relying on PayPal (other payment providers) to handle the subscriptions and billing, the membership plugin can take over and allow a user to renew their subscription a payment at a time. With the new paypal gateway, this means that they can use a credit / debit card instead of needing a paypal account. It also means that you can have unlimited subscription levels. When combined with the communications system you can send reminders to users to renew their subscriptions. Single payment gateways can also handle free subscriptions - so if starting from new, you should use this gateway in preference to the "free gateway".

Renews - place the renewals shortcode on the account page (or any other) and your users can renew direct from the front end of the site, the renewal form can be set to show x number of days before it is due via the options page.

Bug fixes, hooks, filters and customisation - as is usual now with these updates, I put in a ton of new hooks and filters - I'm pretty sure that most of the functionality of the plugin can now be customised without having to touch the core code. I also fixed a few bugs along the way including the filtering problems on the members page.

WP Roles - assign an associated role with each level, and the member will be assigned to the relevant roles as they progress through subscriptions.

and more - pretty sure there is something i missed, but have a play and do let me know what you think.

Grab it from the usual place, or by following the link over on the right.

• wecreateyou
    • The Crimson Coder

Account page - Specify a front end page and insert the account form shortcode and your users can edit their account details without needing to visit the sites back end.

Kudo's to the WPMUdev team on this release! Can't wait to try it out...

Upgrades and Cancellations - a biggie that was missing (for some reason) from earlier versions of the plugin - users can now cancel their subscriptions directly from the site and upgrade / downgrade to other subscriptions. You can even limit the number of days between they can upgrade / downgrade.

Thank you for this... I mean really. Thanks.

• ymousley
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

:smiley: Yay! Looking forward to testing that out.

• bluedot
    • Flash Drive

I just wanted to share the solution we have for moving a huge membership based site to WP/BP.

Our old system (hand coded in perl/php) is a great billing system, utilizing Paypal Pro, keeping the info on our server, our own merchant system, renewals, upgrades, cancellations, automatic emails, welcome letters, etc. etc. I would guess we have at least $15k in it's development over the years. The main beauty? Error handling. No customer issues.

What we are doing after trying 5 different membership plugins, is using your Membership plugin, removing the payment gateway information, and access the database structures thru our own billing scripting. This way, I didn't have to switch anything. So basically, using your permission system.

I would like to be able to add more items to to the permission system, most importantl integration with NextGen Gallery, so thumbnails can show, but when you click on the thumb, it asks for your membership. Also, we would like to be able to have the "Join Now" screen be in a JSquery popu up system that blocks out the rest of the content.

Anyone want to help us develop these pieces?

• bluedot
    • Flash Drive

Where is this currently running at? For the life of me, I can't get the permissions to work other than the shortcodes. Reading other posts, it looks like others are having the same issues.

The categories, the URL's, etc. all are inconsistent in their permissions granted with 2 levels of membership, outside and inside. This shouldn't be so difficult to implement.

The shortcodes however DO work, and the "more" tag is to me the real saving grace. It's consistent.

• bluedot
    • Flash Drive

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/home-page-404-on-11-beta

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-plugin-7

Perhaps if the posts I listed above explained their solutions instead of ending with checking their site they would be of more use to us.

I am not sure what kind of information you would want to check my steps. Could you give me some input as what could be useful to the forum and ourselves for solving this? Can I hire someone to give me an hour or so to double check this stuff so I don't waste anymore time?

Thanks!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Ah right, ok - both of those are pre 2.0 posts - thought I'd missed some new ones posted since 2.0 was released yesterday.

As I replied to one of your other posts - with membership being such a huge and complex plugin, we need as much information about your set up as possible in order to try to replicate the issue and solve it - when we can't get the information we need it's sometimes easier to log in and take a look ourselves.

• bluedot
    • Flash Drive

Hi Barry

"All details first"?

I think it's really easy for a developer to place the burden on an end user, after stating how easy everything is and how well it runs. I feel that is happening here, and I hope it is not the way WPMUdev does it's support.

The categories aren't working for me. The 404 page goes to the protected page. The URL Groups don't work either. All I can get to work are the shortcut tags.

I've already wasted hours attempting to get this to work. I'm not a newbie - I have been developing professionally for 15 years and I am a yearly paid customer to your site. I have multiple WP/BP sites running with thousands of members.

I have attempted to give you a login. I would really appreciate someone taking the time to tell me what you need to assist me. So far I haven't gotten anything out of all this 'support'.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@bluedot - seriously we need to know what settings you have in the options, what levels you have, what rules are in them, what subscriptions you have and what levels you've added to them. I *always* ask for screenshots so that I can get an idea of how you have set things up, and have spotted issues from them numerous times - I'm only asking the questions I have asked every single person with issues since membership 0.1 beta came out.

As I said before, it is a very complex plugin and one small thing can make things work in a completely different way to how you wanted it to.

I have attempted to give you a login.

A moment ago you where complaining that every thread just asked for a login and didn't post the solution :slight_smile:

To be totally honest, I still don't know exactly what the issues you are having are? You haven't detailed whats happening and what you expected to happen, provided any links to your site so we can take a look at the front end, or put up any screenshots showing the problems. All I have from this post is:

"The categories, the URL's, etc. all are inconsistent in their permissions granted with 2 levels of membership, outside and inside."

and from the other you started earlier:

"I am finding that when Strangers have a 404, it goes to the 'Protected content page', not the 404 page."

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@hapkemedia - to update - remove old files, replace with new files. The plugin should take care of updating and adding any database tables it needs to the next time you visit the admin area of your site (it does it automatically).

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

What is the status on the Authorize.net issues? Is this now integrate with the Recurring Billing functionality of authorize.net (or working in general with authorize.net)?

I didn't write the authorize.net gateway, so i'll get the dev over to give some more information on that.

• cherylennis
    • Flash Drive

I have also had similar issues as bluedot getting answers to my questions even though I pay for this service. I am having an issue with subscriptions updating upon payment. I know this is a know issue as I saw several posts in Nov/Dec., but I never really saw a solution. My paypal payments are working correctly and my memberships seem fine, it just doesn't update the subscription. Can someone please help quickly? I have a developer working on my site right now but he is stuck because the subscriptions aren't working. Thanks.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I have also had similar issues as bluedot getting answers to my questions even though I pay for this service.

This seems to be your first post on the forum? Did you have a different account prior to this one? Can you point me to some of your threads so I can see what questions and steps we've already been through so we don't repeat things?

Can you confirm this is still an issue with version 2.0? The new version fixed a lot of bugs as well as introducing new features.

it just doesn't update the subscription

More details would be great - it may be best to start a fresh thread so the answers don't get lost in this announcement post.

• cherylennis
    • Flash Drive

There were two different threads I found in Nov/Dec related to subscriptions not being updated. I don't have the link to the thread as my web developer sent me the link on Skype, but when I didn't find my answer I came to the current posts. The suggestions to folks experiencing this problem before were to check their paypal gateway for errors. This didn't seem to be the problem for them and I have checked my paypal payments and they are working fine.

I am not on 2.0 and was a little nervous to switch midstream since I have someone developing an affiliate and opt-in system to integrate with my site, although some of the new functionality looks like it would be useful. I can try upgrading if you think that will solve the problem.

I am not a new user, but have only posted about one other issue and it was a few months ago. I ended up in an email discussion with the developer because I could not find an answer to my issue in the forum, but he basically told me that was the only way to get help. I objected to that since this is not a free service.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

There are a lot of fixes in 2.0, it may be worth setting up a test install and see if 2.0 solves any issues.

Can you start a new thread with the issues you are having so that we can see if we can work out if it is something else.

I could not find an answer to my issue in the forum, but he basically told me that was the only way to get help.

As you've probably read above, and in other threads that don't have the solutions - once we go off the forum it makes its usefulness as a resource and solution finder less. Whilst we still have the live chat system, the more we can keep on the forum, the easier it is for people with to identify the same problems and to find posted solutions.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

How do I set up a test install? Do you mean setting up a new site? That seems like a lot of work.

Do you have multi-site set up? If so it's just Click to go into Network admin, Click to add new site. You should have a test / dev site to test things on for when you go live, I've messed up enough sites to learn the hard way :slight_smile:

Your settings will remain, the plugin will make some new tables but it won't touch the data - so if you need / want to then you can go back to the previous version.

• cherylennis
    • Flash Drive

Ok, so after 2 hours trying to get the 2.0 zip file to save properly I tried to install the 2.0 plug-in and it won't let me because it says the file already exists. Destination folder already exists. /home/digiacom/public_html/attractingyourbestlifeyp/wp-content/plugins/membership/

Plugin install failed.

This is very frustrating!

• minervation
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I didn't write the authorize.net gateway, so i'll get the dev over to give some more information on that.

Is there any update on this? We will need to use authorize.net and your description of this plugin implies it supports authorize.net.

Thanks,
    Robin

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

We will need to use authorize.net and your description of this plugin implies it supports authorize.net.

Authorize.net gateway is included in the main membership download, that message was for specific issues that user had with it on their install.

• jwchameleoncorp

Clearly WPMU DEV's products are NOT ready to be used "Out of the Box." In just about every case that I've ever experienced with WPMU DEV products, you have to be a programmer or have programming knowledge to get their products to work. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of using their so-called "turn-key solutions"...doesn't it? I have spent hours staring at my computer trying to figure out how to make their products do what they claim they can do. I can honestly that I have never been successful in getting WPMU DEV products to function as advertised. Furthermore they offer no REAL help. So I am reaching out...is there anyone out there that can suggest a better resource for Wordpress & Buddypress? Is there anyone that can suggest a competent programmer who can actually get WPMU DEV's junk to work? Thanks in advance for all your input!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@jwchameleoncorp - sorry, I missed your membership related question? Can you let me know the issue and we'll try to help as best we can. The membership plugin obviously isn't designed to work "out of the box" as I'm pretty sure every membership site is going to be different - so we have provided the tools and interface to create a membership site, along with our documentation and the current series of tutorials we are running over on wpmu.org.

As we build plugins to enable people to make money from their sites, they have to be flexible enough to fit into a wide and varied number of business models. I'm afraid there is no such thing as an "activate and rake in the cash" membership plugin available - all of them require an element of planning and set up.

• saraswati1111
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

We will need to use authorize.net and your description of this plugin implies it supports authorize.net.

I was never able to get this to work so I was asking if it was supposed to be now working. I would like to repeat my request of seeing a site where it is working the way the developer of the extension has intended it to work.

• jwchameleoncorp

@ Barry - What would be most helpful is a clear path or description of instructions, definitions, and resources to implement the plugin. You have to realize what makes WPMU products seem so attractive is the markting that portrays them to be "plug & play". This is very exciting to a novice that has no programming skills and doesn't even understand basic terms or nomenclature. Most of the people out there that want to start websites have no clue how to go about it. But when they find WPMU DEV they think "wow!"...their products work right out of the box and makes starting a website accessible when it never was before! Unfortunately when they dive into your products that is not the reality. In every case WPMU DEV products have required coding, programming, or tweaking that requires understanding or expertise beyond a novice level. Whether you like it or not, that is your target audience. WPMU DEV needs to provided instructions and resourceful guidance that is created as though the end user has never seen Wordpress before. WPMU DEV should create tutorials that are created as though they have never seen or heard of the subject matter before. Otherwise WPMU DEV needs to disclose up front that there is a certain level of expertise required.

• talawar
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am re-posting this to this thread...

When I make edits to the Levels in membership plugin version 2.0.2 the changes are not being saved.

I have two levels - Members and Free. I want to only have a couple pages available to FREE and all other content hidden and only available to members. The menus hide without any issues, however, the content is still available when you are a FREE visitor "stranger".

Option Stranger is set to Free

Free Level Settings:
    In the Free levels I have the Pages, Menus and Categories all set to negative - and pages/menus/categories checked as appropriate.. However, only the Menu items are hidden. It seems like the system is stuck and just needs to have the cashe cleared because nothing I do seems to change on the front end except the menu settings. Is there a way to refresh the system? I have followed all the instructions and I really think there is a system issue. The fact that the Menu settings in Levels work and the Page and Categories settings don't -- indicates that there is something strange going on.

I could just hide the content with shortcodes, but they don't work either. The shortcode text is visible

Any suggestions? .

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.