Membership 2.1.4 blocking PlatformPro feature slider

Good day,

I'm running the following:
Plugin: Membership 2.1.4
Theme: PlatformBase 1.3.2 (child), PlatformPro 1.5.3 (parent)
freshnurse . ca

My problem is as follows: Membership is causing my home page feature slider, and box sets (a custom post type) to fail and render the following message: "no feature posts matched this pages criteria".

I know that Membership is causing this because I deactivated every plugin, and only Membership causes this failure.

Here's the Skinny: the only time the feature slider, and box sets don't work is when the membership plugin is activated AND a user is NOT logged into the site. However, the feature slider, and box sets work fine with the membership plugin if the user is logged in.

Could someone please share their thoughts on how I may troubleshoot this?

(Free User Settings
Positive Rules = access to all shortcodes, access to all posts
Negative Rules = limited access to pages, limited view of menu options)

As well, I've opened a discussion on this resolution at my theme provider, pagelines.com - here's a link if you wish:
Pagelines Forum: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/16318/home-page-no-feature-posts-matched-this-pages-criteria-and-lost-box-set#Item_10

Many Thanks for your time and consideration! It's appreciated.

BDA4

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya BDA4,

You mentioned in your post over at Platform Pro's forums that you've been using Membership successfully the past 7 months, was that with Platform Pro? Just checking if something changed recently causing it to not work properly.

That said, could you let us know what your shortcode settings are in Membership > Options? If the visibility is set to "No", could you switch that to "Yes" and let us know how that goes?

Also, what version of WordPress are you on?

Thanks,
    David

• BDA4
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi David,

Thanks for your quick response.

I'm using WP 3.3. I used the Pagelines "PlatformPro" and Membership together for the full 7 months using the same basic setup. Although I'm not exactly sure what I did to cause the problem I believe the site stopped functioning properly when I updated both Membership and PlatformPro a couple of weeks ago. (*It flew under my radar b/c i failed to check the site while not signed in!)

My shortcode settings were set to 'No', and as per your direction changed them to 'Yes' but that did not fix the problem :slight_frown:

• BDA4

I'd really like to trouble shoot this.

Basically, a free user is not able to see the feature slider on my home page - which is a custom post type used by my theme platformpro. I thought the "No Access" page would appear instead of the message: "no feature posts matched this pages criteria".

Negative rules are set for the Free Users page access, and I've not disallowed them from this problem page.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this incompatibility?

• BDA4

Checked an error log via SFTP for anything that might be useful, below is an error that is repeated multiple times. Any thoughts?

User/logs
    ->error log
    ---> [error] Premature end of script headers: index.php

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya BDA4,

If you'll send us an email to contact [at] wpmudev [dot] org with the theme as an attachment zip file, Barry can take a look at the theme and see what's causing the error.

Please include a link to this thread in the email.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support? (I didn't see an email come through)

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!
    Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• BDA4

Hi masonjames,

This problem is not resolved. I have been waiting a response from your support team since Jan. 2. I sent an email to contact [at] wpmudev [dot] org with the 'theme' requested above by Barry to check for possible bugs with Membership. I received confirmation from David (from your support team) that it was received and forwarded to Barry for review. I've just been patiently waiting :slight_smile:

If you, Barry or anyone has any questions please contact me because I'd really like to find out if this is resolvable!

Thanks,
    BDA4

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Ok, I am taking a guess here, but may be worth a shot. If it's using custom post types this may, in fact, be where the problem is. To test:

1. In the feature settings, try changing it from custom post types to a particular post category. Make sure that category is available to your 'stranger' level. What happens? Do the posts show up?

2. If they do show up, we can attempt to provide access to the post types through a regex rule in the URL Groups that provides access to the featured post types.

Can you let us know. Apologies, Barry is absolutely snowed under right now with a pretty major rewrite of the Membership plugin. Hopefully, the above will point us in the right direction.

Thanks!

• BDA4

Thanks MasonJames,

I will try that and report back.

As an aside, I'm considering rebuilding my website and integrating a WPMUDev theme instead of the pagelines framework theme (due to problems with custom post types and membership). I'm assuming there will be less chance of serious conflicts arising between two WPMU products. However, do you forsee any problems with Membership and the WPMU theme "Social"? - https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-social-theme

Thank You.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings BDA4 :slight_smile:

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue with this please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to mark this ticket as unresolved.

This will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again.

Joe :slight_smile:

• BDA4

@aecnu - still having problems, let's keep this open.

@masonjames - when I made the feature settings change from 'custom post type' to 'post category' and made the category available to free users my slider worked! So could you advise on how to move forward? You mentioned being able to access the custom post types through a regex rule in the URL Groups - how do I do that?

I noticed another user has a very similar problem here. Hopefully we can get this figured out!

Thanks for your help.

BDA4

• BDA4

Update 1: I tried a new theme ('Professional' by Elegant Themes) in place of my old theme ('PlatformPro' by Pagelines) to see if I could fix the Feature Slider problem. But to no avail. Membership blocks the Feature Slider in both themes :slight_frown: There is some light however. If I link the Feature Slider to posts categories rather than pages then it works. However, that is not a workable site for me as I need the feature slider to link with pages as those are my sales pages.

Update 2: After switching my theme to 'Professional' by Elegant Themes I ran into a Registration Page (w/subscription form code) problem - see screenshot. What can be done about this?

Look forward to getting this resolved! Thanks for your help.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Ok, that is encouraging results (swapping from post type to categories).

Now, to the feature slider issue, what we need to do is find out what the permalink is for each of them. Then add them to a URL Group and put that URL Group into the positive rules for each of your membership levels.

I'm not familiar with the Professional theme or how it sets up the slides, but if they are pages then they should have a unique slug for them somewhere that we can use.

As for the multiple subscriptions, that is really an odd one. How many subscriptions and gateways do you have activated/public?

Let us know. Thanks!

• BDA4

Hi MasonJames,

Thanks for the feedback. I will start on your feature slider recommendations and update with results.

Regarding the step 2 subscription 'description problem' I have 7 subscription levels, 8 access levels (including free user), and one payment gateway (paypal express - single payments). The payment links/gateway at step 2 are fine - it appears to me the only problem is the subscription 'descriptions' are not appearing/or collapsing into that black box. I've started a new thread here, and I've posted my debug.log, and error log results. I would really appreciate your help there too! It's a real pain in the butt for me 'cause I can't get around the problem.

Thank you :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings BDA4,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.