Membership 3.0

It’s here. The long-awaited update to our Membership plugin has finally arrived.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

Note this is an RC. We feel it’s ready for live sites but will be adding a few final things over the enxt couple days. Read on. There’s a link to the full manual below.

Gone are the complex setup procedures, the necessity to add shortcodes for subscription forms, the extra steps and configuration options that previously confounded many of us.

New is our easy install guide. 3 steps and you’ve got your levels, subscriptions, gateways, and all membership-related pages in place and ready to go. From there, add rules to your levels and make the whole thing live!

On the surface, much of the plugin is going to look familiar. The familiar drag and drop of rules to access levels is there. So are all the powerful features that make this plugin exceptional. Under the hood, however, the code has been re-thought and re-worked in every way to make getting membership setup the most fluid process possible.

Here’s the short list of what’s all included:

Entirely new setup procedure

Pointers tutorial after setup

Better display notice for admin users

Better notification when membership is not active

Contextual help

Automatic membership pages creation

Automatically create a default downloads group for media protection

Made active/inactive levels and subscriptions much more obvious

Auto-fill the mask url field in media protection

Automatic level shortcode creation. Use in any post or page

All new signup forms and intuitive registration process

Unique IDs added to subscriptions in the forms – you can now control the styling through CSS in your theme!

Level edit screen now separates positive and negative rules to avoid confusion

Killed the ‘addons’. Now membership will recognize BuddyPress, GravityFroms and much more automatically!

Fixed Authorize.NET gateway

Fixed free subscription

Fixed # of members displayed in dashboard widget

We’ve put together a full walk-through complete with screenshots for you. Sit back, relax, and allow us to guide you through the all the inner-workings and advanced settings to get the exact membership site you want. Download it right here.

What’s not included? There are no major new features/functions here. We know coupon codes are important and we can do a better job with custom ‘no access’ and protected content messages. These are all on the roadmap and will be added quickly. Trying to fit these into this development cycle would have delayed things even further and we REALLY wanted to get this new version out to everyone as quickly a possible.

Massive props go to Barry our developer who’s worked quickly and tirelessly and been willing to look at any and all suggestions until we felt we had this right. Props to our newest developer, Cole, who with the help of member, Kevin, came in at the last minute and nailed the Authorize.NET gateway for us.

So there you have it. Kick the tires. Take her for a spin. We’ve been running this successfully internally for awhile and think you’ll like what you see. As always, your feedback, thoughts, criticisms and shouts of ecstasy are encouraged below. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone!

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Woot! Great release. 59 page help guide is going to be a hit with some folks :wink:

Along with coupon codes, please don’t forget to add concurrent membership functionality. (user can purchase multiple subscription plans via individual buynow buttons or something similar :wink:

And nice walk-thru for mailchimp integration using pings.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

You manage to read that whole thing already, or did you just scan? lol

If you read it all then I’m surprised your not asleep. ha ha

It took me ages to write and nearly as long to keep proof reading it and there are probably still a few things missed. :slight_smile:

I’m really enjoying the new Membership plugin, works well for me so a huge thanks to Barry as always and Cole for the work on Authorize :slight_smile:

• cjseven
    • New Recruit

Hi!

Just started working with membership yesterday (previous version). I was totally confused so I uninstalled and found new version this morning. :slight_smile:

It seems much more simple to manage. However I found a “bug” that doesn’t allow me to continue:

– Access levels created

– Subscriptions plans created

I go to Register page choose subscription and fill out the subscription form. After submitting I get error you can see in the video. I already deactivate SEO plugin but get same error in header.php from theme.

http://screencast.com/t/9VeVtbbNRb5o

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Antonio

• Jonathan

Seriously great job Tim,

Yeah, read it – I speed read though so scanning is part of it :wink: Very detailed, and of course an image is a 1000 words, and you have tons of them.

Again, bravo job on the documentation, and streamlining the plugin barry – gonna save you guys lots of time with “I can’t get membership plugin to work” support tickets.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Antonio, yeah they are usually white spaces. I’m not getting that error in my test.

Could you please pop open a new thread, add your versions and the errors there. Otherwise it might get lost in this one. :slight_smile:

If deactivating the plugin gives you another error then please post that as well.

:slight_smile:

We’ll tackle it in the new thread if thats ok?

Hey Jonathan.

Thanks for the kind comments, of course it wouldn’t be possible without Barry putting in some crazy hours! :slight_smile:

Hopefully it will help lower the amount of confusion and support requests. :slight_smile:

We’ve done a few docs now, hoping to get them all more detailed and in depth with plenty of screens to lead the way.

Thanks again, its your words are appreciated :slight_smile:

• SteveDB
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Timothy,

Just to let you know it might be an idea to ad page numbers to the manual that way you can refer any support issues to a page number in the manual.

Just trying to be helpful and really appreciate the hard work that went into the manual.

Steve.

• sistak

Great, thanks Barry, Cole, Tim & everyone.

Have upgraded with just one issue on the renewform – will post separately if issue persists. However I can’t seem to find the Invite Codes options anywhere in the new dashboard – can anyone point me there? Many thanks

Edit: yes, I have read the manual :wink:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

@joe. I like to proof read multiple times before I pass it to others to Proof read. Mason also checked it over after me. Arun did as well. :slight_smile:

There are no current plans for Membership and WHMCS, but once the final is out of that plugin we could look at other options for future updates. I do think being able to sell subscriptions from WHMCS would be real cool as well. :slight_smile:

@stevedb The PDF isn’t the final thing. Our documentation and project section is getting some much needed TLC at the moment, once its rewritten and live we will be able to present documentation in a much nicer way online. So at that point I will convert it to the site :slight_smile:

Point taken though, it would make sense to do now. I’m off out shortly so will get it don’t and uploaded later. :slight_smile:

@ Antonio

Thats excellent, glad its all sorted now :slight_smile:

• themarketingcompass
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for this update, the previous version was quite daunting and took me several months to get near the stage of going live, I’m almost there in a couple of hours this morning!

On my homepage there’s two buttons – one goes to the registration page http://www.marketingcompass.co.uk/register – that page is fine.

The second button goes to http://www.marketingcompass.co.uk/join – you can’t see this page if you’re not logged in! (the whole point of this page is to get new users to join us!)

Had a fiddle with a few settings and can’t seem to get it to work properly. Does the registration and join page have to be the same?

I have three access levels ‘all members’ no access to the community part of the site, but access to the main pages (at least I think) and then a free membership and paid for membership option.

A bit confused!

Ben

• themarketingcompass

I now have just a register page.

When a visitor click on the register page, they then get the two options to signup. The free membership option ‘sign up’ button takes them to the registration form – great. I had to go to the buddypress settings page and set the registration page to none in order for this to work properly. Is that right?

The paid for ‘sign up’ button also now takes them to the registration page too. I want it to take them to the payment gateway page!

Help!

• KevinDLyons
    • Flash Drive

Woot! Thanks for the shout-out. It takes a village… :wink:

Thanks Mason, Barry, Cole, and the WPMUDev team. At first run through everything looks great except I lost my excuse to finish a client’s site. Love the manual at first skim.

I did noticed that the email address is not passing to AuthorizeNet so the “Email Customer (on success)” function is not working. I may make a couple of other mods to the AuthorizeNet form to include the user name as the invoice field to help tie the orders back to the customer.

Thanks!

Kevin

• kbrady
    • Flash Drive

Ok, I am REALLY pleased to see this update. I am at a critical point developing a membership site and have been questioning whether to use this plugin or not. These changes are likely to have me keep using the plugin. Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@themarketingcompass

I had to go to the buddypress settings page and set the registration page to none in order for this to work properly. Is that right?

Yes. That’s correct. In some of my tests I had to actually direct BuddyPress registration to a fake or ‘dummy’ page.

It looks like that register page is still the default BuddyPress registration page on your site. The Membership registration page now asks them to choose their subscription level before having them fill in their details. Let us know what you find out.

@kevindlyons, hit me up with anything you find. We’re keen to get that right!

@robobear, affiliates can already handle recurring payments, but it involves some custom code changes. We’re looking at greater interoperability across the board, but that means some rewrites. It’s on the list – but it’s gonna take some time.

@kbrady, sincerely thanks. That’s exactly why we do this :slight_smile:

@john looking forward to your feedback as always

Just the tip of the iceberg folks. We now feel we have a super-solid foundation to really make some strides with this plugin. Thanks again!

• bhusema
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks a ton guys, this is great!

I want to make this plugin available to subscribers, but I don’t want that little red message constantly telling them that something is unsafe/unprotected if they don’t choose to use it.

Could someone point me to the file where I can take it out, and could I request that option built into future releases?

• robobear
    • New Recruit

@masonjames

but it involves some custom code changes

Yes, just let us know how those changes look like. Np, I can wait for the next release.

Thanks & good luck with it and all other projects. Keep on working on documentation for plugins like you did with this one. It helps a lot.

• Grace n Ease
    • Flash Drive

Wow, I just have to say, after all my critiques and complaints (I have made) I have to admit.. You dev’s at WPMU-DEV are making some wonderful progress.

I love the update and will now use this plugin..

I have noticed several changes throughout the plugins section and I am very happy with what I see. Now I can recommend with confidence, the products you have to offer..

You promised it, and you are delivering what you promised..

If the work continues, there won’t be many places anyone can go to get better plugins or better documentation..

Not that I am any authority on anything, but I am well pleased with what I am seeing..

Thanks so much for the update..

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@robobear, we’re looking at it. There’s a lot to think about and plan for when creating/integrating affiliate capabilities. Our aim is to provide something that’s extremely flexible and support several different scenarios.

Also, re: docs. We hear ya. Expect more. Good current examples are Domain Mapping, Directory, and Events Plus. They’ve got radically thorough explanations on their Installation and Usage pages and (very soon) it’ll be heaps easier for you to find and read this info.

@Secrets_of_Safety those words mean a ton to us. Seriously. We want you happy with us and confident that we’re building products that work solidly, intuitively, and always with the latest version of WP. Thank you.

• Renaissance Media

Just did an auto update from 2.1.4. When I click on Membership in the Admin panel, I get the following error: Any ideas?

Fatal error: Call to undefined method stdClass::set_help_sidebar() in /home/phmnet/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/class.help.php on line 73

I’m on WP 3.2.1 multisite.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey PartridgeHillMedia

You would need to upgrade to the latest WordPress version. The error you are getting is because that function did not become available until 3.3, so upgradings to 3.3.1 will fix this error for you.

If you need any further help then please just let us know.

@everyone else, thanks for the kind words. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• puregoldmarketing
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I broke it!

I started off with the wizard, added 2 levels and then selected Paypal single payment and now I get this:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class paypalsolo in /home/ilovehan/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/gateways/gateway.paypalsolo.php on line 579

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class paypalsolo in /home/ilovehan/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/gateways/gateway.paypalsolo.php on line 579

Does this error occur immediately after you use the Wizard?

I’m not getting that, I also tested with all gateways enabled as well.

Can I ask that you please download a fresh set of files, delete all the old ones over FTP and then upload a fresh batch and try again. (do you have any other plugins running PP?)

Please let us know how that goes.

Thanks.

• JoAnn

Before I go ahead and update this plugin I have a two questions.

First, if I update will my information on levels and subscriptions be lost? Will I need to start all over again or will my current data remain?

Second, and most important, I have been waiting since last July for updates that will fix the bugs with the 2Checkout gateway. Here are links to my previous postings:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-expires-field-not-updating

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-plugin-does-not-update-2checkout-cancellations-or-payments

I would like to know if these issues have been fixed with this new release.

Thanks for all your hard work on this huge plugin. I am crossing my fingers that the 2Checkout problem has been fixed.

• astUtemy
    • New Recruit

Has anyone gotten a fix to the “Cannot modify header information” errors? I am getting them on 2 separate sites. Here is a link to a screenshot:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s35/sh/a6d745ab-b050-4c55-8560-a0cc11e8161a/ae6bdfb64464e623a9aa0f0504393557

Once here you will see a link to watch a short video demonstrating how the error comes up.

Thanks in advance for the help! Other than this, the plugin is awesome!! I have made a ton of money with it on another site, but now I can get any registrations done :slight_frown:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey NerdEnterprises.

I see thats the Blogs MU theme you are using. Which version are you on? Any modifications made to it? And what happens with all other plugins disabled?

To ensure support is not missed for your issue (this thread is more of a general feedback thread), it might be worth opening a new thread which will allow our staff to better track responses. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi gang

We’re currently working on getting RC2 out of the door and into your hands, but in the meantime – if you are having any issues with the registration forms, and “headers already sent” errors then please download and try the version below and let us know if it sorts it for you.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cannot-modify-header-error-when-membership-upgraded-to-30?bb_attachments=199797&bbat=11283

• KevinDLyons
    • Flash Drive

Here's a quick list of item/suggestions that I'm tracking.

– In our case I needed a Manual Payment option where a member can send in a check. Ideally this would be an additional gateway that would have an option of triggering a 30-day subscription that can be extended to the full term (in our case 1-year) upon receipt of payment. As a quick fix I'm coding a button to a Gravity form at the bottom of the credit card payent screen and doing some manual work on the back in.

– I would like to see multiple terms offered for a single subscription for various price breaks i.e., 1 year = $100, Save 10% on 2 Years, Save 15% on 3 years, etc. My bandaid was to set up multiple subscriptions for the terms and used some CSS to make it logical. (See Screenshot)

– A nomenclature/term setting would be great. We call our "subscriptions" Memberships, others may call them Dues, etc. It would be nice to set the terms used in an option panel rather than hacking the plugin.

– The popover registration is not working for me. When activated it just renders a new webpage with "This is an error" at the top.

I'm flushing out a couple of other ones like AuthorizeNet transactions not showing up on the plugin page. I'll update my findings.

Thanks!

Kevin

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Kevin,

Thanks for your continued feedback here. Your quick fix of using gravity forms is a good idea.

Also, the hack for providing a single subscription at various price points is one of the things he had in mind when we gave each subscription a unique ID. This way they can be targeted and customized however you wish.

We have an update due out shortly to address some issues. I haven’t seen that error with the popup form, but that text is within the popup signup form files so I’ll ask Barry about that.

Thanks again!

• amichel
    • Flash Drive

Turning on WP_DEBUG to ‘TRUE’ in wp-config.php (line 90) generates notices. Lots of them. On any page that calls any Membership functionality.

This is a pretty big oversight. Any WP developer should know to active error reporting to squash this type of notice before shipping/charging clients for a product.

Here is a list of errors produced by Membership 3.0:

Notice: Undefined property: WP_Query::$is_singlular in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php on line 153

Notice: Undefined index: post_type in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php on line 829

Notice: Undefined index: action in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershippublic.php on line 1215

Notice: Undefined variable: content in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershippublic.php on line 1140

Notice: Undefined variable: user_id in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershippublic.php on line 1140

Notice: Undefined variable: user_id in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershippublic.php on line 1150

Notice: Undefined property: WP_Query::$is_singlular in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php on line 173

Notice: Undefined property: WP_Query::$is_singlular in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php on line 153

Notice: Undefined variable: user_id in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershippublic.php on line 1144

Notice: Undefined variable: user_id in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershippublic.php on line 1145

Notice: Undefined index: post_type in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php on line 829

Notice: Undefined property: WP_Query::$is_singlular in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php on line 173

• amichel
    • Flash Drive

@timothy

They are just notices and nothing to worry about

No! They are a clear indicator that due diligence was not conducted before selling a product to paying customers. Any first year computer science student will know to declare variables, build constructors and set default attributes before attempting to access their value at runtime.

None of my other (FREE!) plugins generated notices when I turned on WP_DEBUG!

So, YES – this is something to worry about as it speaks hordes about the developer’s work.

I’m sure Barry will address them.

Great! When can I expect this to happen? I need to give my client a timeline for all the numerous other bug fixes that are promised from him. ‘Soon’ is not very helpful.

• livenews
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi all,

I have installed the Members (full version) and everything seems straight forward but I want to leave ALL posts, past and future open to all users to have access to and protect the pages (Protecting the pages is done) but I can not see how to default all posts to free. I have tried to add all the Categories to the Allows, but still wont let visitors (free users) see the posts detail.

Please help and thanks,

live

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Here is a list of errors produced by Membership 3.0:

Some of those you have listed suggest that you have something going wrong within your WP install.

e.g. Notice: Undefined index: post_type in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php on line 829

Line 829 is called via a filter that passes the wp_query object, which must, by then, have the post_type query_var set – for some reason your install seems to not be passing the object in, or if it is then it’s a blank one.

e.g. Notice: Undefined variable: content in /SITE_ROOT/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershippublic.php on line 1140

Now, this is a strange one because content is defined earlier in that function – so not sure why your install is reporting that – mine isn’t

I’m going through the ones you’ve listed, but some of them have me scratching my head to be honest.

• galdo

Hi guys,

I post this problem in another place but I saw this topic so I add it here too. I have the following problem: when I write some inputs in Hebrew after saving it become ?????. For example Subscription description under Subscription plans, and level name under access levels. It is not connected to the mo and po files becasue as you can see the problem is with words and sentences that you fill in the admin panel.

Best Regards,

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@alan – you still don’t say what doesn’t work :disappointed: if you can let use know some details then maybe we could help. If you have / had any other threads running then please do point us to them, but it’s a bit hard for us to debug “doesn’t work”.

• whi

Hello,

I want to translate this row: “We have the following subscriptions available for our site. To join, simply click on the Sign Up button and then complete the registration details.”

, but cannot find it in the language file.

Could you help me please?

Thanks!

Robert

• amichel
    • Flash Drive

That won’t be possible. Developer did not bother putting that string in membership.po.

I’ve been asking for an updated membership.po file for what? 2 months now? Not a translated membership-xx_XX.po file, but a simple – UPDATED – membership.po.

Getting ignored by the developer. Frankly, as a paying customer, I find it insulting, frustrating and unprofessional.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Actually, it looks like my po generating program crashed mid-way through rather than a deliberate missing off. I use poedit to create the file, it’s a free download and can be run on any directory of php files. Feel free to grab it and run it if you need to create an interim file for the plugin. We’re very close to dropping RC3 at the moment, which has a fair amount of text changes in it, so it may be worth holding off for little bit.

• Grace n Ease
    • Flash Drive

With the RC2, I’m having a problem with “protected content” even though the user is supposed to have full access.

The user logs in and can view some posts, but if they click on a link that is through a widget in the sidebar, it always sends the user to the protected content page. I have tried everything I can think of to remove the restriction, but it still always sends to protected content unless the user is admin.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe there is something I have missed.

By the way, thanks for the lengthy and pretty comprehensive instruction manual.

I love that I can make global the membership levels.

Now if I could only make them work the way they are supposed to.. I know it could be my fault..

I just can’t figure out what it is I did or didn’t do that is causing the problem.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya folks,

Barry, I attempted to create a new .po file for the currently available RC2 version and poedit crashed on me as well. Something weird happening there.

@Secrets_of_Safety, that’s really bizarre. Not something I’ve heard mentioned before. This thread is pretty old and long. Would you open up a new thread on this issue? We’d be happy to go through it with you specifically and get it sorted.

We may need access credentials in order to login and look for ourselves. Membership is a tough one to debug for us because we can’t see the rules you have setup or how they’re working together without admin access.

Thanks!

• Grace n Ease
    • Flash Drive

Well.. I just solved my problem. I had used the positive rules, where it said to check the items that apply to this rule. I had them checked. when I unchecked them all, the restrictions were lifted. Just the opposite of what I read it to mean.. I won’t need help with it after all… I should have thought about trying that before I posted.. Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

@dpaynex I see you’re getting some assistance on this issue on another thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/subscription-page-no-buttons-for-upgrade

We’ll continue to follow up there.

I’m gonna close up this month-old thread now and encourage everyone that runs into any issue to please open a new ticket or chime in on an open one if your issue is the same. We’ll deal with them more quickly that way.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.