Membership 3.4.3 Beta

Hi all

Attached below is the beta of the 3.4.3 version of the Membership plugin.

I’m trying to get as many bug fixes as possible complete for the full release of this version, so will be releasing a few betas on this thread as we go through.

If you currently have a thread open on the forum with a bug report then please try the version below and let me know if it helps (or more importantly doesn’t help).

Note: The front end interface for the coupons functionality isn’t showing in this first beta as I still have a few little changes to make to re-introduce it, but it should be back in for a future beta release (hopefully in a day or two at most).

Update: Coupon functionality is back in as of beta 4

Thanks

• ghc
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

error:

after clicking a “sign up” button on the registration [subscriptionform] page, while not logged-in. logged-in users show the (paypal in my case) link. It would be nice if the coupon form could be shown on that page.

url:

/register/?action=registeruser&subscription=2

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_error_code() on a non-object in /wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/registration.form.php on line 5

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

It would be nice if the coupon form could be shown on that page.

Yes, that’s where I’m going to put it as it makes more sense with coupons that can be subscription specific.

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_error_code() on a non-object in /wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/registration.form.php on line 5

Thanks, I’ve just updated the beta version at the top of the thread, can you see if that version solves it.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

It has the fixes for the admin area in there, so that side of things works ok now, and it has a new “descriptive” text area on the payment page that will show the payments to be made before and after a coupon has been applied – but it doesn’t have the coupon form enabled yet – that’s in beta 4 *promise :slight_smile:

• aligg
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Barry,

Any chance that this beta has resolved the “moving members to next levels” in case they haven’t logged in for a while?

Like I had described here in this topic:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/will-upgrading-membership-solve-this#post-335608

I remember you had written somewhere that a cron job would do the trick, but that it would be resource-heavy. Would be great if you can shine some light on this.

Thanks,

Alex

• Dori
    • Flash Drive

Hi Barry!

I just started using the Membership plugin and I’m very glad to see that the coupons will be working again with the new version.

Am I looking for version 3.4.4 or does the current version have the coupon changes?

Thanks! Dori

• john_highman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Barry, I am registering an issue that I raised with you in personal stream. At your request I am loading the issue into this stream and will continue to converse here only.

The issue is this:

I have loaded the Beta 3.4.3 into my site. I correctly removed the old version before hand so that the new version would be loaded the right way.

CURRENTLY, I have 4 levels of members in my website. Each level of members should only see certain pages of the site that I have nominated as relevant to the membership level. Only one level of membership should see everything in the site.

NOW, and since the new WordPress upgrade, and still with your new Beta version of ‘membership 3.4.3’, all of my members can see everything on the site. This is despite the selective pages that I have set for each membership level.

BEFORE the WordPress update everything worked just fine with your Membership plugin. I could be selective on what people could see as members in the different levels. Given that they pay differing fees for different material this would be correct and was my intention.

I hope I have been clear on this. My issue therefore still exists with the plugin. I don’t want all my members to see everything. I only want them to see the things that they have paid for.

If you need more information please let me know.

• MScott821

John –

After the install of the update, is the membership content protection turned on?

I believe it is on the Membership page of the Membership plugin dashboard, right at the top of the “Members” panel on the left…

Just checking.

• john_highman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi and in reply to MScott821….

Thanks for the posted question. Yes the Membership plugin is enabled.

The actual site is ‘protected content’ so if anyone tries to access the site they will be stopped and they will see ‘protected content’ page.

It is the actual members that have a password that can go further into the site.

When they get there into the site they can (incorrrectly) access all menus and pages. Everything in the site is available to everyone that is a member. This is wrong.

I originally set up the site to have 4 levels of members. People could be charged different amounts and get access to certain pages relevant to what they were paying for. It all used to work just fine. After the upgrade the plugin falls short.

Now a member can get everything they can find.

All my members are now downloading everything they can whilst the ‘door is wide open’. Essentially I am losing money daily given that all the value of the site is going out of a door that should not be open.

It is a real frustration.

I guess someone is looking at this. Thanks for your email and interest.

If it cannot be resolved I will have to find something else, unfortunately.

• Troy

Just had a customer sign up with a coupon and learned that the coupons aren’t working. I saw other threads with the same issue and wanted to get notifications on updates…so here I am. :slight_smile:

Keep calm and carry on.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings @john_highman,

And thank you for that babbsela you are spot on if this is the case.

That is in fact is a great option if one so chooses and each plugin has an archive here on WPMU DEV on the plugins home page.

When you click on change log it will list the different versions and if one clicks on a version number it will indeed download the version chosen.

Therefore if you do not have an earlier version of a plugin or theme just check the home page and they are there for the downloading.

Cheers, Joe

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@john_highman I know we asked if you could pop over to this thread, but this seems as though it is an issue that hasn’t been reported by anyone else, and I recall in your previous threads that you had it in earlier versions of membership as well.

Can you start a new thread, and then pop me a message through via contact at incsub dot com, as I think there may be something else wrong with the setup of the plugin you have that we’ll need to look into a lot closer.

In the meantime, can you run through and do a refresh of each of your levels in case something went a bit wonky in the upgrade – basically click edit on each level, check that they are still set as they should be and then click on the update button to make sure they are saved back to the database again.

• john_highman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you all for your comments. So I have gone back to an earlier version of the plug in 3.3 as suggested and now I have lots of errors.

To resolve that I have gone back up to 3.4.2. so at least the website works and the errors are gone.

Since I am the only person with this problem, maybe I should move the membership to another website location and start a rebuild.

Not sure what I will do. I will think about it.

• strandevent

I've been asked to move this thread here. So here goes..

I've installed the beta version but it didn't solve the problem. The members are both showing up in the member plugin and they're not at the same time. When I list "all members" I'm the only one that shows up. The other two are nowhere to be found. But they do show up as Level 1 in the Members Plugin Dashboard.

My name shows up but there's no information for what level my membership is. Below are two screen shots. 1. Showing all members "3" in the dashboard. 2. When I click on all members only one members shows up. Like I said before, the membership level of the one member that shows up has no information for what level membership they have. The other two are not there.

• strandevent

The first screen shot above is what brought my attention the the problem. I can’t send Private Messages to BuddyPress users unless I deactivate the members plugin. Also, I’ve tried to see if it was the theme by activating the default BuddyPress theme and got the same bad results. One more step closer I guess.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@jonathan_sabin

Note: The front end interface for the coupons functionality isn’t showing in this first beta as I still have a few little changes to make to re-introduce it, but it should be back in for a future beta release

It has the fixes for the admin area in there, so that side of things works ok now, and it has a new “descriptive” text area on the payment page that will show the payments to be made before and after a coupon has been applied – but it doesn’t have the coupon form enabled yet – that’s in beta 4 *promise :slight_smile:

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@strandevent

The members are both showing up in the member plugin and they’re not at the same time. When I list “all members” I’m the only one that shows up.

Do you have access to your php error log by any chance? Wondering if there are any errors showing up in that when you view the members list? If not, let me know and I’ll give you a bit of code to insert so we can see what the query is that the plugin is running on that page for you.

Re: private messaging – are you using the private messaging rule in any of your levels?

• strandevent

@Barry This whole thing has been my fault. When setting up the plugin I started off by putting Negative rules in for visitors. I went threw all Levels to see how they were set up and noticed the negative rules for visitors. I took them out and changed the visitors rules to positives like the other levels and the problem of sending Private Messages was fixed.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi gang

Beta 4 is now available at the top post of this thread – this version re-introduces the coupons functionality. I’ve still got a few more bug fixes to get in to these betas (I didn’t want to introduce too much new code in this version as the new coupons code is quite extensive), so there will be another release along pretty soon.

• Dori
    • Flash Drive

Thank you Barry! I can’t wait to test it out.

By the way, I’m a HUGE WordPress and WPMUdev fan. So much so, I decided to use WordPress and WPMU plugins to build a national website for senior athletes (50+ men and women).

With the potential size, some recommended against it, but I wanted to help show that WordPress and the WPMUdev plugins can handle a big site.

It’s been a bit of a rocky start with some of the plugins not working as expected or not playing nice with each other, but I really appreciate all the time you and your team are putting in to keep improving your products.

Thanks again! Dori

• punchline
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Just downloaded and installed the new beta on my site. The coupon field appears on registration, but it will not accept any coupons. I have triple checked that the coupon is active, and spelled correctly, etc.

[See attached screenshot for error message]

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Can you pop up the edit form for the coupon you are trying to use? Also, can you run a verify on the membership tables to make sure the update to the coupon table has been applied ( Membership -> Options -> Advanced tab ).

By the looks of that screenshot you also seem to be having css styling issues, can you make sure that all the files are there as the row with the subscribe button should be spaced out better than that.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I’ve put a fix in ready for beta 5 to re-allow unlimited coupons (for now can any testers set a high number of uses to get around this). Can you all also edit and re-save any coupons to make sure that the new field is saved (I’ve set a default ready for this for beta 5).

UPDATE : I’ve put these in a new beta 4 and uploaded the new version above.

• Operapreneur

I’m not sure if you can fit in this feature request but I’ll ask anyway.

Anytime I type in my site URL without ‘www.’ I’m redirected to the Registration page. Is there anyway to stop this from happening? It seems that only older generations would take the time to type out http://www.mysite.com. The rest of us know that we don’t need to put in ‘www.’

I’d like the visitor to be sent to the home page http://www.mysite.com instead of mysite.com/register/ (the registration page).

Thanks.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@operapreneur that’s a wordpress issue, not a membership one. Membership has overridden the sign up page, but if membership wasn’t enabled then your site would redirect to signup.php instead

Have a look at these two threads and see if they help

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/accessing-my-primary-url-without-the-www-redirects-to-signupphp

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/wwwdomaincom-loads-but-domaincom-loads-as-an-error-on-my-wp-multi-site-netwo

• jenny_medford

The beta did fix my issue in another thread where coupon codes were not taking and therefore the discount was not being applied. However now that I am able to get it to apply, I am not fond of the verbiage it shows as it will be confusing for members:

“You will pay : $250.00 for 2 months, and then free for 2 months”

I would like it to ONLY SHOW “You will pay : $250.00” as this is a one-time fee and the rest of it won’t make sense to them as it is the weird way we had to set it up to make it work the way we needed it to. I see in the Membership functions.php and in paymentform.php where that all happens, but I am frankly scared to touch it. How can I get rid of everything after the price?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@jenny_medford – if you don’t want that line to show then add the following to your wp-config.php file – it is there primarily as a means to show that the Coupon has been applied to the charges.

define('MEMBERSHIP_HIDE_PAYTEXT', true);

Note, however that if you are using PayPal express, then it will display something similar to that message on it’s checkout page as well. If you are not, then don’t worry.

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

The beta fixed a few of my issues with URL Groups..

The main bug it did not fix is the protected content page… I can get everything else working using positive rules only except for the protected content page.

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

P.S I can confirm that the protected content page does work on negative rules its only the positive rules that throws it into a redirect loop.

There must be something in the code there because it’s also slows down the systems load times massively just to load pages for users with positive rules based access levels.

Cheers

Billy

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I do want the line to show – I just only want it to show the dollar amount, not the rest.

I'm afraid that will take custom coding, the aim is to show what the user will pay, and mirror what they will see when they get to their payment gateway (e.g. paypal ).

The first part of the payment is already shown in the payment line (see screen shot)

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

There must be something in the code there because it’s also slows down the systems load times massively just to load pages for users with positive rules based access levels.

Of course it has to check urls and add in restrictions to prevent users accessing what it shouldn’t, but it doesn’t run huge amounts of code (it’s specifically designed to only load what it needs to to handle the protection, not the whole plugin), so it certainly shouldn’t be “massively” slowing down system load times.

• jenny_medford

I'm afraid that will take custom coding, the aim is to show what the user will pay, and mirror what they will see when they get to their payment gateway (e.g. paypal ).

The first part of the payment is already shown in the payment line (see screen shot)

Actually the customer does not see what you are showing. In Paypal it just shows $250, which is great. I will just have to remove that line and try to add in a custom message I guess.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Actually the customer does not see what you are showing. In Paypal it just shows $250, which is great.

I see you are using PayPal Single payments. I said PayPal Express

Note, however that if you are using PayPal express, then it will display something similar to that message on it’s checkout page as well.

I will just have to remove that line and try to add in a custom message I guess.

When I get back to my dev computer I’ll pop up how to do it, I need to check a couple of things first though and I need the code to do it :slight_smile:

• Operapreneur

@Barry To clarify the ealier convo:

I second jenny_medford ‘s concern. I see the coupons as a one-time use deal and it shouldn’t effect future payments.

operapreneur – sorry, I’m not following you, can you explain?

I was trying to say that once the coupon code is applied it should represent that payment and only that payment.

We are using yearly payments. If we do a giveaway where we offer a free membership the adjusted text implies that the membership is free forever and not just 1 year.

Hope that clarifies the issue. Glad to see there is a work around.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

We are using yearly payments. If we do a giveaway where we offer a free membership the adjusted text implies that the membership is free forever and not just 1 year.

If you only want the first year to be free then you can set your subscription up with a finite level for 1 year, then a serial subscription of a year period and set the coupon to only apply to finite levels. Then only the first year will have the coupon applied and the serial part will remain at the full price.

• foodigal
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am still having the same issues that have been persistent since I first installed Membership premium. The Beta looks no different to me.

Here are the issues:

1. When an active member is logged in and their expiration date is within the 365 day set window, verbiage displays that tells them they can renew, but there is no link or form with which they can accomplish this. Here is what they see:

Your Membership Details

Your Subscriptions

Your current subscriptions are listed here. You can renew, cancel or upgrade your subscriptions by using the forms below.

Corspan Annual Membership

Your membership is due to expire on : 26th April 2013

Upgrade from Corspan Annual Membership

Welcome Heather

When they go to the “your account” page that contains the shortcode, they see similar verbiage telling they can renew, cancel or upgrade using form below, but there is not a form where they can renew. Canceling and upgrade should not even be options for these members and it would be great if there was a way to customize/remove this.

2. Verbiage is displayed to “upgrade” membership but again no link. However, there is not an option with this membership to upgrade. There is only one level of membership so it would be nice if it didn’t even mention “upgrade”.

3. When an EXPIRED member logs in, they are told they do not have an active account, are are given the option to “sign up” with a button. This is OK, but if they could have renewed before their account just expired (see issue #1), these would work much better together.

Thanks for any help you can provide on this. I like your plugin and really want to help this organization make it work them.

If I can provide further details, please let me know.

Heather

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

A quick note – I am going to release version 3.4.3 beta 5 as the full version 3.4.3 version a little bit later today as the current build includes the majority of the bugs people using membership for the first time have come across (and it makes sense for them to use that version rather than redirect them over here).

As soon as that release is out, I will make a new thread (and will pop a link up here) and I’ll continue to work through the other issues reported.

Hope that makes sense, and thanks for all your help in tracking these issues down so far.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Version 3.4.3 is now released so I’m removing the sticky from this thread. I’ll post here again as soon as I have the first beta for version 3.4.4 available for download and link to the new thread.

If you have any issues with 3.4.3 please start a new thread and I’ll amalgamate as many issues as possible into the first of the new betas.

Thanks again everyone

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.