Membership

I am trying to use the Membership plugin on my multisite network and have run into several issues/questions:

NOTE: We followed the instructions on pages 75-79 of the Membership manual and changed the global settings, etc.. Then, we network activated the Membership Premium plugin in the Network Admin.

Q1 - In the Network Admin, I can see the Membership plugin settings and can change the settings for the MAIN site. However, I don't see where/how I set up protection for any of our 40+ subsites.

Q2 - I can't figure out how I can customize the member registration form or the "My Account" profile questions.

Q3 - If I don't add one of the protection areas on the right (i.e. pages, categories, posts, menus, etc.) to the positive or negative areas, are they automatically protected, automatically visible, or does it depend on the which one it is?

I have more questions, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Thank you, Dori

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Q1. Have you looked in the admin of those sites?

Q2. That's not what this plugin does, you would need to hire a developer custom code profile options. Membership is simply a plugin to protect content.

There is an easy option for this and that's BuddyPress:

http://buddypress.org

BuddyPress is a social networking plugin, a feature of this plugin is xProfile which allows you to create custom profile fields which will show on the Original Registration form and when they edit their account in Membership.

You could deactivate the other social networking features.

Q3. It depends but the general rule is nothing happens, they're still visible to all.

It depends because you might not protect posts but you could do it another way by protecting the categories their in.

Or you might do it through URL groups for example, so whilst you don't protect posts of categories, URL Groups might instead.

Feel free to open more new threads if you have further questions. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

• Dori

Hi Timothy!

Thanks for your response.

Regarding Q1 - When you ask, "Have you looked in the admin of those sites?" where do you mean exactly?"

The Membership plugin is network activated in the network admin, but the plugin isn't showing in the plugins section of any of the subsites.

Also, the Membership tab that I see at the bottom of the left sidebar in the Network Admin isn't show on any of the subsites.

Hopefully, what I'm looking for is hiding in plain site, but I'm not seeing it.

Q2 - Thanks for the Buddy Press tip. Do you know if you can set which profile fields show in registration and which show in the account?

Q3 - Regarding the URL groups, if I want to protect an entire subsite called, http://www.SeniorSportsforLife.com/Golf, for example, how would I write that in the URL groups and should I mark the query string or registration boxes?

Thanks again! Dori

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

The Membership plugin is network activated in the network admin, but the plugin isn't showing in the plugins section of any of the subsites.

Also, the Membership tab that I see at the bottom of the left sidebar in the Network Admin isn't show on any of the subsites.

Hopefully, what I'm looking for is hiding in plain site, but I'm not seeing it.

It won't show in the plugin section because you have it network activated.

I was just testing global on my set up (which was upgraded over time from older WPs) and I don't get it in the network admin I have it on every sub site.

But they all pull data from the same tables, so their not unique if that's what you're looking for.

Network Only Settings:
    define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', false);

If you want to install membership network wide whilst offering subscriptions across your network then you may set the Global Tables to true. By default it is false. (If each site is independent, and has its own admins/owners then leave this as false) Membership

define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_MAINSITE', 1);

When enabling global tables you can also set the main site by ID. In most cases this will be the first site within your network which by default is 1

define( 'MEMBERSHIP_ADDONS_ONLY_SUPERADMIN', true);

This allows you to restrict all Addons to Super Administrators.

So the one in your network admin area will be the control for all websites in the network. Because that's what Global Tables means.

Q2. They all show. This is how BP works with the standard signup form also.

Q3. You'll need to learn some regex to do more complex things but I believe (without testing) that this would work:

http://www.SeniorSportsforLife.com/Golf/.+

Take care.

• Dori

Hi Timothy!

I read all that you wrote, but I'm still missing how it's supposed to help me solve my original question.

To reiterate ... my goal is to use the Membership plugin to protect my entire multisite network. Based on your marketing materials, the plugin should easily handle that task.

In page 75-79 of your Membership manual, you showed some constants which needed to be changed (the "Network Only Settings" you rewrote above). Since I don't know how to do what the manual requested, I had to hire someone to do it.

Just now, I was able fo find the wp-config.php file in my cpanel, but had no idea how to open it to double check if the programmer had done what you asked so I'll assume he did.

According to page 7 of the Membership manual:

NOTE: If you’re using WordPress multisite, you’ll need to activate Membership Premium by first accessing the main dashboard of your WordPress network, as see in figure 1.4.

... it's my understanding that I was supposed to network activate the plugin from the Network admin area, which I did.

Is that true?

From what you wrote above, "It won't show in the plugin section because you have it network activated."

Knowing that my goal is to protect the entire multisite network, should I network activate or shouldn't I?

If I do network activate it, as I have. And, if I can't see the plugin in the subsites, which I don't. Then (going back to my original question), where do I access the subsite pages, posts, etc., to protect them?

I've already been working on this a few weeks and still don't have it set up. I was under the impression a regular person like me who's fairly computer savvy, but definitely not a programmer, should be able to set this up without a problem.

Please tell me what I'm missing and most important, how to get the plugin to work because I'm definitely having problems.

Thank you. Dori

• Timothy Bowers

... it's my understanding that I was supposed to network activate the plugin from the Network admin area, which I did.

Is that true?

If you don't require a per site membership then yes, Network Activate.

Is that true?

If you want each site to have it's own memberships, levels and subscriptions then it should be done on a per site basis.

Knowing that my goal is to protect the entire multisite network, should I network activate or shouldn't I?

If I do network activate it, as I have. And, if I can't see the plugin in the subsites, which I don't. Then (going back to my original question), where do I access the subsite pages, posts, etc., to protect them?

I don't use this plugin in network mode so I'm going to ping @Barry our developer for some clarification to be sure.

The way I understand this is that you create your categories which are the same on all sites, you can then protect those categories across the multisite.

You can protect through the use of URL Groups.

I know in a forthcoming version that Barry is adding the ability to protect posts and pages as your making/editing them, this will make it easier to manage them on a per post/page option.

@Barry will be able to clarify further. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

• Dori

Thanks Timothy!

I'll assume I have it set up correctly then and not expect to see any Membership plugin settings in the subsites.

Instead, I'll create a category called "Members-Only" for each of the subsites to protect the basic members information.

I think I also need to understand how URL groups and different member permissions work better since it sounds like I may be able to do big groups of protection at once with those.

If you or Barry have any links to tutorials/forum posts about the URL groups or the different member permissions and how they can work with Membership, I would appreciate it.

I've read the Membership manual multiple times, but I'll go back and re-read those sections again to see if it makes more sense.

Thanks again! Dori

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Dori,

Wow, I'm really sorry for missing this thread.

We use RSS to track our threads and for some reason this one didn't come up.

I'm really sorry about this.

We have a video tutorial set now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmGpalbUyU&list=PLV1BcivFAIdtF4p7CYVfMbVAJ4JQ1Rpe9

This should help you out loads.

If you're still stuck or need anything then please let me know.

Take care and have a great day!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.