Membership Access Control & Search

I am running WP 3.4.1 and Membership 3.0.2.

I would like for my "Stranger" access to only have access to 2 pages. The first is a page set up with general info plus a login area and the second page is the "no access" page they would be greeted with if they directly tried to access a page.

I have created a level that is assigned to Strangers and that level, via a singular positive rule, only has that one page listed as being available to be viewed by the member of that level. This seems to work well for pages and if I attempt to access another page directly from a link I am appropriately directed to the "no access" page.

I have two challenges, however. First, access to Posts does not appear to be limited at all. I assumed by not giving it positive access to any posts they would be excluded, but this does not appear to be the case. Second, if a search is entered into the search bar it yields results for both posts and pages that have the keyword. Although the links to the pages will yield a "no access" result I can read the page in the summary of the search result. The links to the posts work.

I have tested having the "Stranger" have no access which appears to eliminate all access including search results. I guess I am looking for a suggested way to have that kind of limitation plus one more page, if possible.

Your input and thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I was just playing to see if I could replicate what your asking. I couldn't exactly but we could have had different options set up.

Can you provide some example links and screenshots of the admin settings and access level.

Although the links to the pages will yield a "no access" result I can read the page in the summary of the search result

The full page? Or just the excerpt?

This is handled by the theme.

I have two challenges, however. First, access to Posts does not appear to be limited at all.

So some are protected? Some not?

Take care.

• FOAWebmaster

Thank you for your reply.

Attached are how I have the Stranger Setting set and the type of access associated with the level set to be a Stranger.

Regarding post protection, none of the posts are "protected." I had assumed by not including any posts under the positive rules that no posts would be included. Perhaps this was an incorrect assumption.

Regarding the page protection, it is just the excerpt.

Perhaps a little background would be useful. We are a school and we have a sub site that is only for members of our community. We consider everyone else a Stranger and do not want them to be able to see or view anything page, post or otherwise. Ideally, we would have a landing page that Strangers could see (e.g. members of the community who have not yet logged in plus true Strangers) plus the ability to send them to the blocked content page if they try to use a link/otherwise. I've been able to hide all of the main navigation in our theme to strangers by using the current_user_is_member() function in our them and it works perfectly. I'm trying to determine if there is a good way to lock down everything but one page in a way that doesn't require users to use short code to actively protect content as all content should be protected by default. Hopefully that makes a little more sense.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Regarding post protection, none of the posts are "protected." I had assumed by not including any posts under the positive rules that no posts would be included. Perhaps this was an incorrect assumption.

Ah, when reading your post I think I missed the swap from page to post, sorry.

Yes by default when using a Stranger level nothing is protected unless you make it. If you set it to none then there is no access to content.

You could use Advance in the Access Level.

Make positive the page.

Then negative the categories. Everything in those categories are protected.

If you wanted to protect the archive groups (the page which lists the excerpts) then you could do this with URL Groups and then add them to the negative part.

There is an example in the docs on our usage page:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#usage.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have further questions.

• FOAWebmaster

Timothy,

Thank you for checking in. First, the URL groups are a great resource and really provide a tremendous amount of control. Thank you for suggesting.

After a lot of testing, I decided that "No Content" for strangers would better meet our goals going forward. Given that all I really wanted was access to one page in addition to the default "no content access" page, I have come to the conclusion that the benefit of knowing that nothing is getting through going forward (particularly as I could see myself overlooking some method to block future unknown content) outweighs the con of just having a "no content" page and forgoing access to one addition page.

I'm sure I'll discover some glaringly obvious way to do this in the future that I haven't thought of now due to my current lack of knowledge, but this works for now.

Thank you again for checking in and have a good one.

• Timothy Bowers

After a lot of testing, I decided that "No Content" for strangers would better meet our goals going forward. Given that all I really wanted was access to one page in addition to the default "no content access" page, I have come to the conclusion that the benefit of knowing that nothing is getting through going forward (particularly as I could see myself overlooking some method to block future unknown content) outweighs the con of just having a "no content" page and forgoing access to one addition page.

Something I like doing for membership type sites is using multisite, so you have:

domain.com <-- the contact info, promo stuff, about us, blog, all the usual site stuff. (No Membership plugin on this one)

members.domain.com <-- same theme, same menu for main links, then select to have no content shown.

That way you get the best of both worlds without messing with a stranger level.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.