Membership Access quit working

Up until 2 days ago my membership configuration was working just fine. People registered, we moved them to a registered user group and they could get to protected content just as advertised.

All of a sudden, with no changes whatsoever, I start getting users telling me they cannot access Classifieds, Equip Rental (Appointments+), Members, etc. Finally trace it down to the fact that Membership is not allowing users to access content.

The attached screenshot shows the user logged in (upper right) but the Membership plugin telling the user they are not allowed to access the content because they are not a registered user.

Looked through other threads and found posts that were similar but not real answers.

Please help.

Thanks,
Greg

• greghelland
    • The Incredible Code Injector

To be a bit more specific, it looks like it is restricting access to Classifieds, everything else now seems to be working. I reinstalled Membership and that seems to have fixed most issues.

Another thing I noticed in the PAGES is that there are dozens of Classified virtual pages now. Never created any of those.

• greghelland

Another user added on Tuesday morning cannot access My Classifieds. So, this is a real mixed bag. I deactivated the Membership plugin and tested this users profile to access protected pages. All are able to be accessed when Membership is deactivated. When Membership is activated I get the "Not Registered" page when accessing the My Classifieds page and others. Some work, some don't. Cannot determine a pattern.

As a further example, the Events calendar is a protected but able to be accessed by the user while My Classifieds is protected and cannot be accessed.

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Greg

• greghelland

The Membership plugin was just automatically updated and I still have the same problem. Could someone please help me on this. My members are getting quite irritated.

I revoked WPMU access and re-estabilished but have not heard from anyone since. Please help!

This was working fine until early this week.

• greghelland

Classifieds seem to have the most problems with Membership. Appointments seem to be allowed thru to be used by logged in users. However, it is flaky. Don't know why Classifieds is causing such a problem with Membership. I see that Classifieds has created hundreds of Virtual Pages, seems like a set for each user. Have deleted most of them that were attributed to the same user.

Hope this helps to debug the problem here.

• greghelland

If you need to be added as a LAVA Member, I can do that our you can. This will help you see what is going on. Logged in as Admin/Super Admin does not reveal the problems. I have to leave for another meeting in about 10 minutes but will keep an eye on my emails via mobile phone.

Thanks for your help.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @greghelland,

We seem to have sorted an issue with membership. I have updated it to the latest beta of 3.5.0.8. Sorry, i had to disable some other plugins to test & find out what was going on.

However, Discussing with the membership developer, we think the issue with the classifieds rules, is a bug in classifieds plugin. We can't understand why it keeps creating all those virtual pages contantly. This seems to be the issue..

I'm going to ask @Arnold the classifieds developer to also take a look.

Thanks

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @greghelland,

We've found the issue and an update will be released soon.

For your info, it is due to the virtual pages & positive rules.

what happens is if classifieds can’t find a page with a certain meta value it tries to create it.
    if membership was blocking that “virtual” page then it will keep trying to create it, as virtual pages aren't selectable in the access level pages rules, it meant that when using positive rules, you were unable to add the virtual pages, so they were always blocked. (switching to negative rules would have prevented this issue). The next release you which has fixed the bug will allow you to select virtual pages too.

Hope this helps

• greghelland

Hi Vaughn,
    Thanks for all the work on figuring this out. I was going crazy!. Maybe I missed it in the documentation regarding using negative rules instead of positive. Might want to highlight.

I have switched everything to negative rules now just in case.

Also, the Classifieds loop for creating virtual pages seems to be gone but Membership still shows loads of classified pages for protection. When I look at the PAGES list, there is only one set. Is there a way to clean out those replications in Membership?

Thanks,
    Greg

• greghelland

For @Arnold as referenced above, the Classifieds plugin is still creating virtual pages and adding them to the Membership negative rule for Visitors. However, the plugin is not creating actual new pages like it was before.

Hope this helps.
    Greg

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Greg,

The existing pages, you can delete from Dashboard > pages > virtual

The plugin should then recreate just 4 of them.

The issue should be ok now with membership 3.5.0.8 for positive rules Arnold is working on a fix for this issue with classifieds, hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

Just keep an eye on them for now, delete what's in the virtual pages list & then empty trash.

cheers.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi

Yes, that's how wordpress works. click the link above where it says virtual (188)

That will then list all the virtual created pages, those are the ones you need to delete. It will then create 4 new virtual pages & no more. Once you delete all those virtual pages, you'll find they will no longer be listed in the membership pages rules list.

Hope this helps.

• greghelland

I have updated the Membership plugin to 3.5.0.9 and I still have the same problem.

I took the Classifieds off of the main menu so as to eliminate user confusion. Now a user can only create an Ad from the user dashboard. When the click on Add New Classified Ad the system goes to a 404 page not found. When I click on Add New Classified as a system admin, everything works fine.

Membership rules have been set up as negative rules per your prior recommendation and yet I still cannot get Classifieds to run. Please advise when a solution to Classifieds will be coming.

Thanks,
    Greg

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @greghelland,

Any chance you could open a new thread for the classifieds issue, as that is seperate from membership plugin (This issue now is definitely an issue with classifieds). We can then link that thread to a proper bug ticket for classifieds, as this thread is already linked to membership.

The developer is aware of the bug and is looking into it.

I've been looking at a possible workaround for now, it's a bit more complicated.

If you use the advanced rules, you can select a different user role per level.

With that in mind, if you use the user role editor plugin to create a different user role that has the same capabilities as the subscriber role. You can then set the premium level to that new custom role. https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

Once done, you can grant access to all classifieds pages in all the membership access levels, including add/edit classifieds. so membership isn't protecting any of those pages for any level. But your premium level would have a custom role assigned instead for members.

Then in classifieds, you can assign add-classified/edit rights in the classifieds plugin capabilities to that new custom role.

Hope this helps.

• greghelland

Thanks Vaughn. I will open a new ticket on Classifieds. Is there a way to reference this thread so the Classifieds developer can see what has been going on?

Thanks for all of your help. I will try to figure out what your work around is so can we leave this open for a while in case I need to ask more questions?

Thanks,
    GReg

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.