Membership account not being created with subscription

This has happened twice on our site. Someone signs up for a subscription membership, is taken to PayPal and pays for the subscription.

We get the notice from PayPal that the subscription has been created and the payment went through.

No Membership account is created - they are not listed as a WP User or in Membership > Members. Thus we have to then create their account manually.

Before the site launch we did extensive testing with $1 subscription accounts and these were working with Membership accounts being created.

What could be causing accounts to not be created? PayPal IPN/some other PayPal setting? Something else?

We can't exactly throw up test subscriptions on a live site so my next step will be to port this to a test domain so we can troubleshoot further but any help would be appreciated.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

The way that Membership works is by first creating a WordPress account, then they can checkout. So they should have an associated account by this point.

Could you create a private membership, embed it on a hidden page with a shortcode and then test it?

If it's for a few cents then I don't mind giving it a go on the live site.

Hopefully that should save you setting up another site, although a sandbox site is always a good idea to test changes, new plugins, etc before they go live.

Let me know.

• joshuaiz
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

That's exactly what I thought . So how would it even be possible to go through the subscription payment process if a WordPress account isn't created? I'm totally baffled.

What is the shortcode to embed a private subscription membership? I looked through the manual and couldn't find it.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @joshuaiz,

Thank you for your reply.

So how would it even be possible to go through the subscription payment process if a WordPress account isn't created?

This is not possible out of the box without custom coding.

What is the shortcode to embed a private subscription membership?

You can make the subscription private by clicking on the link "Make private" from the following path as displayed in the attached screenshot.

Admin area -> Membership -> Subscription Plans -> Make private link

You will find more information about it in this video tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTIPuJcKGio&list=PLV1BcivFAIdtF4p7CYVfMbVAJ4JQ1Rpe9&index=11

You can use any of the follow to embed the subscription plan in a page / post.

[subscriptiontitle subscription="2"] – The title of the subscription.
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"] – The Subscription plan details.
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"] – The subscription plan price.
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]  - And the subscription plan button

Replace the number with the ID of the subscription.

Here is our current sign up page:

http://crushtraders.com/signup/

I registered the test user account on your site from the sign up page http://crushtraders.com/signup/ and can log in to your site without any issue.

As far as i know the user can't subscribe to the membership plan without registration and logging in to your site.

Could you reproduce the issue on your site?

If yes then please tell us the steps required to reproduce it so that we can fix the issue.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @joshuaiz,

In this case we can take information from the users who have faced this issue so that we can troubleshoot it.

Could you please ask them whether they received user registration mail or not?

if they received it then ask them to forward it to you.

Also ask them on what time they have registered, which os and browser they have used etc to find out any similarities between them.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.