Membership additional options

My client wants to have extra products that people can add to their membership as they sign up. Right now I have two membership levels but either one could select any of these additional products, or none.

Is it possible to add additional products for them to add to their membership before they pay?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings hoppes,

Thank you for the great question but I do not quite understand what you are trying to get at?

Is it possible to add additional products for them to add to their membership before they pay?

Additional products before they pay? Sure just add them to their current level.

Obviously I am missing something.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• hoppes
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Sorry, Ill try to reiterate it more clearly.

I have two membership levels A and B. And then I have two additional products they can purchase as add ons. So regardless of which membership level they choose they can add on one or both of these add on products.

Does that make more sense as to why I cant just add the products to the membership levels but would like to give them the option of buying either of the additional products so that there will be just one transaction?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings hoppes,

Thank you for the clarification and I do not see how you could possibly use the Membership plugin to offer the add-ons unless you created another level that included the add-on.

This is because when you add an add-on to a level it will be for everyone and you cannot specifically give access to add-ons to a certain user with a few exceptions i.e. Pro Sites is configured and it is an item in there and you can go in as network admin and add the item.

Does that make more sense as to why I cant just add the products to the membership levels but would like to give them the option of buying either of the additional products so that there will be just one transaction?

As mentioned with the exception mentioned above, this can only be done by adding more levels.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• hoppes

Thanks for the advice. I am in a little bit of a crunch with this issue. If you could possible give me more of an explanation of how I could work Pro Sites (does it explain it on the plugin page?) into the solution that would be greatly appreciated. Or a link to another post in here where someone might be doing something similar.

Thanks Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Joe,

Thank you for the great question however there is no way to do this as I explained earlier without custom coding.

To say impossible is being a fool because if one is a competent coder with a vision and the will to get it done, anything is possible – and I am not a coder.

Alternatively, you could see if there’s a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

At the most I can do is put this ticket in as a feature request which I am happy to do, but know it is a waste of time because feature requests are usually fulfilled based on popularity and this is the first time I have ever heard of this type of request and even if the lead developer agreed to code it – it may be months or longer for possible release.

Unfortunately this is just the wrong plugin for performing the job you have outlined.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Member!

Cheers, Joe

• hoppes

Hey Joe,

Thats fine and thanks for the support.

I really like the plugins, community, and support here so I would definitely like to try to find a solution here.

Do you think I could use Marketpress and treat my membership packages and add-ons just like a store?

Am I able to require someone to create an account during the order process? And still not allow registration to anyone else?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Joe,

Thank you for the additional questions which are certainly appreciated.

Do you think I could use Marketpress and treat my membership packages and add-ons just like a store?

Oh my, I cannot get my head wrapped around this one and figure out what you have in mind. Could you please clarify this for me? UPDATE below.

Am I able to require someone to create an account during the order process? And still not allow registration to anyone else?

This will certainly have to be worked out. The most certain way to achieve this goal in my opinion would be to have several levels with each level containing the add on.

I would handle a client with these types of demands in a way that tells the truth and gets the job done – you want custom coding done then hire a custom coder. I am a developer not a coder.

I build web sites and make them work while a coder codes applications within a web site.

WPMU DEV itself has two types of coders, one being plugins and the other being themes and rarely if ever are they intermixed.

UPDATE: Market Press could indeed be used to present your membership offers to include add-ons but using membership levels for enforcement.

The add-ons so to speak but in reality another level could indeed be presented in Market Press and the external linking feature used to send the end user to the applicable registration and level.

I hope this helps a bit giving you the vision of how to make it work for you and your client.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.