membership and buddypress integration

Hello, new here, and pretty new to wordpress. :slight_smile: Thanks for the help.

I'm working on a membership site. I'm using the membership plugin and bbpress. We need the forums to be regulated depending upon the membership level.

From what I've seen on the WPMU forums, it seems that membership and bbpress don't really talk to each other. I understand how URL Groups work in theory, but what I don't understand is how to assign different user levels in bbpress according to their membership level in membership.

Unregistered visitors should be able to see certain threads only BUT NOT POST
The Silver members should be able to see certain threads only and can post in those
Gold members can see ALL threads/forums, but can only post in SOME.
Some forums/threads are for Mod posting only

I hope someone can help me with this!

Thanks, Blooming

• Patrick

Hi there @Blooming

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

You can assign a role per access level under the Advanced tab when creating or editing an access level. For example, for those users you want to not be able to post replies, you would want to assign the Spectator role.

Be sure to uncheck the Auto-Assign Role setting in Settings > Forums though, so Membership can assign that role.

You may also want to double-check what WordPress role you are assigning to new registrations under Settings > General in your admin; likely you'd want to set that to Subscriber.

However, if you're also using BuddyPress, it's gonna get more complicated as BuddyPress creates a bunch of user-specific links to stuff like groups & forums in both the user's profile and the adminbar, for example.

• Blooming

Thanks for the great info!

I will look into making membership assign roles in bbpress. One thing I need, though, is DIFFERENT levels of access to different threads/forums.

Unregistered visitors should be able to see certain threads only BUT NOT POST, and other threads should be hidden entirely.

The Silver members should be able to see certain threads only and can post in those, but others should be hidden entirely.

Some forums/threads are for Mod posting only, and can be viewed by Gold members only.

Is there a way to do this in bbpress?

I'm NOT using BuddyPress.

Thanks so much for the fast reply!!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Blooming, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

Unregistered visitors should be able to see certain threads only BUT NOT POST, and other threads should be hidden entirely.

The Silver members should be able to see certain threads only and can post in those, but others should be hidden entirely.

Some forums/threads are for Mod posting only, and can be viewed by Gold members only.

It would take a lot of URL Group rules in order to implement something like this, and even with that, URL group rules couldn't be used to restrict what threads a Gold member could post on.

The problem we've run into here, in regards to the URL groups, is that while a forum URL would look like this:

http://example.com/forums/forum/example-forum/

The URL for the topic in the forum would look like this:

http://example.com/forums/topic/example-topic/

You'd have go topic by topic, and specify a URL to be covered by a URL group used for a access level. And, that would only govern whether or not they're able to see them, not post on them.

In order to get these kinds of restrictions implemented (as well as the Gold member type of restriction) the way you want it to, you'd have to see about getting some custom work done. I'd post a job for this in our Jobs Board:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

And see if one of our Pros there could cook up something for you. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.