Membership and Multisite

I finally have membership installed and outside of the TOS issue, I new user is registered but how do I get them a site.

The primary focus is the site, with membership secondary. The couple of test new members are only registered (as subscribers) as I want on the main site - but they do not get a site (form not presented now at registration with membership). Since I had disabled the standard wordpress registration for both registration and site per membership instructions; the new user does not even have an option to add a site within the admin dashboard. We do not want the users to have to go to dashboard - I'm just mentioning as an FYI. Can a short code for the gimme a site be added to the new registration page? If not, what is the best way we can provide them a site at sign-up?

DavidM

Hi antKat,

Membership itself doesn't currently provide for a blog creation option in the registration process. It would take a bit of custom coding to get that done.

The only way I'm aware of to provide for the blog creation option at this point is to direct users to wp-signup.php after they've registered.

I'll ask a couple folks over here if they've got any ideas as to how to better customize that process though.

Cheers,
    David

Mason

I haven't tested this, but if you set up a rule for the level to have 'Blog Creation' privileges from the admin menu, then when they log into their account, they'll have a sub-menu under Dashboard called 'my sites'.

From here, they can create a new site up to the number of times you dictated when adding the rule.

You could always provide a link in one of your welcome emails so they can directly create the site and get started - this would be the link that David discussed above.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

antKat

We want to provide spoon-fed pre-configured sites. Why can't we just put a couple of links on the second page (completion) of Registration with 2 options
    1. sign in
    2. Start your site (with link to sign-up)

I don't know why this seems complicated. Maybe because this just wasn't done for multi-site to complete the process, we assume there must be some complication. I do think that you should package the multisite separately with more specific instructions. There are many issues that are different for the multi-site that even the language of the instructions could help clarify.

Also, was there a reason they took out the email validation with Membership? I suppose those immediately upgrading a membership would get validation, but in our case, the majority will probably take the free basic subscription. Doesn't the email validation help with the splog?

Mason

Hiya,

Why can't we just put a couple of links on the second page (completion) of Registration with 2 options
    1. sign in
    2. Start your site (with link to sign-up)

You can do this, but you'll have to edit the plugin in order to get exactly what you want here.

Take a look at membership/membershipincludes/includes/subscription.form.php and membership/membershipincludes/includes/member.form.php

You can add your own custom links by hooking into these lines:

do_action( 'membership_subscription_form_after_paid_subscriptions', $user_id );
    do_action( 'membership_subscription_form_after_subscriptions', $user_id );

There are infinite scenarios for the membership plugin. Honestly, it's been out less than a year - I'd still consider it a new plugin - so I agree there's room for improvement with documentation and even new features/enhancements. Hopefully the above helps ya get what you need in this particular case.

Thanks!