Membership and Pay with a Like

I need some advice on which plugins to use. I am developing a site that is going to allow users free access to some online design software if they "Pay with a Like". You already advised me about this plugin so thanks for that. My problem is that I also need to collect an email address and password so that they can come back and sign in to use the software anytime in the future. My thoughts are as follows but I would like your help in advising me what I should use to do the following:-
We are sending an email that will contain a link to our webpage where they will be asked to fill in a registration form (user name and password) and also to Like us on Facebook with a link to do that. When they have done that they will be returned from FB to another page containing the link to the online software. How should I create a login system so that they can come back and use the software as often as they like.

I hope I have not confused you. I am new to WP and would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@ccdsweb

You would need to create a login link on your menu which would be displayed if they were not already logged in (as in didn't have the remember me set). Then you could use a custom menu item which would display the link to the software. However this has its drawbacks as they could share the link with anyone and then they could download it without being registered.

alternatives are:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/download-manager/

Read through the options page on the above plugin.

you could also use this to blocksearch engines indexing your downloadable content.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-meta-robots/

That or you would need to use something like our membership plugin to protect the content.

Cheers!

Tom

• ccdsweb
    • Flash Drive

I think, after looking at the alternative suggestions from you, that maybe the Membership Plugin is the way to go as later this client will be wanting to offer a larger, more comprehensive software but a Paid version as well as this Freebie.

Can the Membership plugin be used to ask the Freebie customers to Pay With A Like or should I be installing Pay with a Like as well? The client intends to send out an email to his mailing list offering this Free Software if they Like them on Facebook.

However, on the website at the moment there will only be the Freebie version for a few months. He is not unhappy at people landing on his new website and just registering to use the Freebie without having to Pay with a Like. In other words just registering will give them access to the Free version and in time the website will offer this Free Version and the alternative Pro version (which will be paid for.)

Your confirmation that I am on the right lines would be appreciated.

Many thanks

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@ccdsweb

There is a way round this, you could create two membership types.

Free and paid, the free would still have access to the free software but would have to then use a pay with a like to reveal the link.

The paid (cash payers etc) would see that automatically. You could achieve this by using the is level shortcodes logically something like this.

>is free level code
    >> pay with like
    content
    >> end pay with like codes
    >end is free level code

>is paid level code
    content
    >end paid level code

They would be transparent to each other, you could then protect the downloads this way.

Hope this helps, membership is a very powerful plugin don't forget to read the manual which is on the usage tab of the actual plugins page.

Cheers!

Tom

• ccdsweb
    • Flash Drive

Thank you so much for this advice. I will be making a start today on the Membership plugin and as a newbie I guess there will be more questions so bear with me. I have to install the Pay with a Like plugin too for that first level don't I or does Membership have that facility

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.