Membership and pro sites

I have been reading through the new membership manual and it is quite helpful, however I still have some questions.

Which is the best way to set up paying for blogs membership or pro site? I saw it looks like now you can do this with membership.

I have the payment gateway set up for pro sites will I need to also set it up for memberships? Does the membership payment override the pro sites?

Do I need a membership level to correspond to each pro site level?
or
Is it best practices to have a membership level that corresponds to each pro site level?

Or can I have one membership level and use it for several pro sites levels.

Can I have 1 singup page for non professionals and 1 for professionals? If I do have two sign up pages will it cause any confusion or problems?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Ren,

Your use of the plugins will depend on what you want your end result to be.

Membership will help you to protect content, and it does indeed protect blog registration, however that is where the control ends on the blog. Pro Sites will allow you to control what tools your bloggers use after site creation. You can also use Pro Sites to charge for a blog by enabling the "Pay to Blog" option.

So, both tools are great, but you may not need both.

I have the payment gateway set up for pro sites will I need to also set it up for memberships? Does the membership payment override the pro sites?

They are two separate plugins with two different functions so you will enable gateways on both. Neither will override the other because they are used to supply different access.

or
    Is it best practices to have a membership level that corresponds to each pro site level?

Currently Membership an Pro Sites do not integrate. They can be used side by side but do not blend their settings and usage. This is in the works though, but it means this question doesn't have an answer as there is no reason to do so.

Or can I have one membership level and use it for several pro sites levels.

Again, they do not integrate, so this is moot as well.

Can I have 1 singup page for non professionals and 1 for professionals? If I do have two sign up pages will it cause any confusion or problems?

You cannot have 2 signup pages, only two different subscriptions within Membership to offer upon signup.

I hope this helps to clarify. :slight_smile: Please let me know if I need to offer anything more.

Best,

Kimberly

• Ren
    • The Incredible Code Injector

or

Currently Membership an Pro Sites do not integrate. They can be used side by side but do not blend their settings and usage. This is in the works though, but it means this question doesn't have an answer as there is no reason to do so.

can i give a memberships to a pro site level?

i am trying to protect the tutorial videos, a buddypress group, and the more tag in one blog. the access to these features will be given to different levels of pro sites.

how can i accomplish this

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

Have similar questions

How can I enable membership plugin on the main site but still does not override the pro sites registration.

All I want to use the plugin for at this time is to hide content... that is it.

However, it totally took over the registration process. Can I disable that?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

@jason
    Have you tried setting the Registration Page to None?

@Ren
    You can assign Membership Levels to Wordpress Levels (under the Advanced Tab on Access Levels) but not to ProSites levels.

You can manually add a Membership Level based upon their signup at this point. Since there is no automatic relationship you can create then you will either need to create it manually OR control access to ProSites through Membership Registration. Of course if you are a ProSite first with Membership benefits then that will not work.

• Ren

Let me rephrase this and try to get a definitive answer to if it can be done. and how to do it

Is it possible to have a private group (members only - available to pro sites level 3 or higher) and a blog with some private and some public content (members only - available to pro sites level 3 or higher) and videos tutorials only viewable by pro sites level 1 or higher on a mutisite buddypress install that has 7 levels of pro sites upgrades with a free level?

if this is possible will the payment gateway need to be controlled by membership and not pro sites?

If this is possible can you tell me step by step how to do it?

thanks for your help

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

If you want them to Pay for an additonal Membership to access the content then you can have them sign up via Membership and then create a Blog. Withing that blog they will have access to upgrade via ProSites.

If you want them to purchase a ProSite and have access that goes along with the ProSite purchase then you will need to create that in Membership and Manually assign that access level.

Am I missing the boat or does this help?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

You currently cannot add a ProSite to a Membership level. However if you enable ProSites you can let your users register blogs and then the ProSites upgrade tab should show in their Admin bar.

This works because ProSites has a default free level. If you want to turn that off then you need to enable Pay to Blog :slight_smile:

• Ren

can you add a membership level to a pro sites?

if not what did you mean by
    "If you want them to purchase a ProSite and have access that goes along with the ProSite purchase then you will need to create that in Membership and Manually assign that access level."

• Ren

Okay I am still trying to figure out the best way to get this site up and running. Since I have not had a response in a few days I am guessing that my last question is just to basic to merit a response. It would be great if we could just do a phone call with support. I think my questions could be answered right away and I the site would be operational.

I have a sub directory multi site buddypress install, would it be advisable to do a separate wordpress install on a sub domain for the professional membership section of the site?

The drawback I can see is that someday when you have membership and pro sites talking to each other I will be locked into adding membership by hand.

If membership will have a coupon or a way to give main site PRO SITE members FREE access to membership then the sub domain would work as a long term solution.

If it will be years before the two plugin work together the sub domain may work for now. If the integration is almost here then waiting may be a better choice.

one reason for using a sub domain is that i could still use ultimate facebook for log in on the main domain. That is if it works with pro sites. can you confirm if ultimate facebook and pro sites work together?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hey Ren,

No, your question was fine :slight_smile: Just the weekends tend to break up things a bit.

Installing the Membership Plugin on a subdomain would create a completely different membership site. Whichever site your Membership Plugin is operational on, is where it's settings will lay.

You CAN use Membership and ProSites together, meaning they will function side by side. They will not integrate. The integration is on the drawing board and will be implemented, but I do not have a date on that. I don't believe it will take years as it's a very popular demand.

Your users can log into sites any way that you would like them to. ProSites is only restricting the blogging tools that you give your users on their sites. It does not restrict your users access to any particular blog or information. So UFacebook is only a tool you are using for logging in, and thus not affecting your ProSites. However you CAN use ProSites to restrict access to your users having this plugin available on their site.

Here is what I see could happen to make the two work together.

Membership allows you to permit a specific Membership level to create a blog. You can allow this via Membership. By default, if you do not enable the pay to blog option in Pro Sites, your user will have access to a Free site. In the Admin panel they will see the ProSites upgrade button and will be able to upgrade to any ProSites package you choose at any time.

Does this help explain a bit better?

• Ren

yes that does help. but I still have questions. I am allowing free sites and I am also having paid sites. I want to restrict access to one group and probably restrict access after a short code on 1 blog or perhaps the whole blog. the group is on the main buddypress site and the blog would be a separate site on the buddypress install. how would be the best way to handle this.

• theodosis_mourouzis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I made a question few days ago where i want to use both membership and pro sites.
    I did not get any actual answer on how to use them.
    I want to use multisite plugin too to provide users with their page.
    As soon as the user visits the site the first to thing to do is to register as teacher or student. After that the user has a site like http://www.mysite/his username.

So, I want to divide my users in two different categories:
    1) students
    2) teachers.

Each category will have two memberships the free and the premium one.
    Students : free and premium
    Teachers: free and premium

Free students: upload 10 photos, 5 videos, no personal domain, no inbox, only one theme, own blog.
    Premium students: unlimited photos, unlimited videos, personal domain ( can be done with multisite?) inbox, 5 themes, own blog.

A general functionality is: student can only interact with teachers

Which is the best way to be done? Mutli site and pro sites? multi site, pro sites and membership?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Pro Sites requires multisite so you're good on that front.

Our model for Edublogs is based on ProSites, in fact Pro Sites was developed just for that purpose.

edublogs.org

Membership only protects stuff within a site, not across a network. ProSites allows you to restrict the site itself by limiting posts, pages, plugins, etc.

Hope this helps!

Kimberly

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

You should be able to use just ProSites and create different types of packages within ProSites that Build on each other. Each having a different set of capabilities.

Membership is to protect content within a site, like posts, pages, menus, groups, categories, etc,

Pro Sites will control the tools that a subsite will have access to, like plugins, themes, memory, etc.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Membership can be used in two ways.

One: if networked activated and Global Tables are activated you can use Membership to protect content all across your network on a Global level. It has nothing to do with users creating sites and what they can access on those sites.

You can't limit the functionality of something like Status, unfortunately, unless you are restricting it's use completely. There's no way to limit the usage by the member, it's all or none.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.