Membership and ProSites integration for blog creation

Let me describe what I want to do and then, I hope the solution(s) will be clearer. Thanks! I do appreciate your help!

(BACKSTORY: Multisite, Buddypress, Sub-directory, ~~ is that all to say?)

I want people to sign up for a Membership on my new site. I would like them to be able to choose their desired level of Membership -- with the main difference among the levels being the number of sites they can create -- at this point it is CREATE ONE BLOG or CREATE TWO BLOGS, or even CREATE ZERO BLOGS. If they want more then can contact us....

I would like them to be able to sign up, pay the paypal, and then be returned back to my site in order to create their sub-site(s). Then the NEW BLOG TEMPLATE plugin will duplicate the settings that I have established in their new site(s) - fyi this part is working just fine.

Tangentially, I can see that we would want to add ProSites to allow the option of increasing the storage space for member's site(s).

The questions I have are:

1) what is the best setting of the ALLOW NEW REGISTRATIONS option in the Network Settings to allow this?

2) Yet, when I enable LOGGED IN USERS MAY MAKE NEW SITES, and then I go to (whilst logged in as subscriber on the main site, with a membership level allowing the creation of two sites) CREATE NEW SITE on the MY SITES page, it redirects to the BECOME A MEMBER page that I set up for the registration process. That doesn't seem to be the right page.... it isn't letting me make additional sites....

3) when this all works correctly, how would a member upgrade the capability to add more sites? In some sort of upgrade process, likely, but how do I make it where they are charged correctly for the additional membership level?

I think the answer may lie in ProSites, but I thought that the Membership plugin dealt with the person, and ProSites dealt with the site... And now I see that may be an incorrect or incomplete understanding.

So, if REGISTRATION IS DISABLED at the Network Settings, does ProSites allow a user to make a new site?

Please pardon if this is unclear. And I thank you for any and all assistance!

Stephanie

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Stephanie,

Wow, you've got quite a setup you are looking for :slight_smile:

Let me toss out a few things that come to mind after reading this.

1) You'll need to allow new user registration and site registration

2) Are you using the Advanced option that allows you to tie a Membership Subscription level to a wordpress user-role (under Access Level)? This may help as it seems the blog creation is tied to Buddypress

3) If they upgrade via the Membership Plugin then it will be taken care of

No sites can be created if Registration is disabled in the network admin.

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

This may get solved in bits and pieces.. so thank you for your time and patience.

the BLOGS rule for the BUDDYPRESS doesn't seem to deal with creation of blogs.

the BLOG CREATION rule is in the ADMIN box below the BUDDYPRESS box.

I am curious: what purpose does the BLOG CREATION rule have if not for the reasons I enumerated in my post?

And now I will look at the USER ROLE point... brb

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

Currently, I have no role defined in that ASSOCIATED ROLE box.

There is, fyi, both a positive rule: CAN CREATE n BLOGS and a negative rule for MENU (to limit the ability to see options re: APPEARANCE, PLUGINS USERS, TOOLS, SETTINGS, )

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

the BLOG CREATION rule is in the ADMIN box below the BUDDYPRESS box.

I am curious: what purpose does the BLOG CREATION rule have if not for the reasons I enumerated in my post?

My apologies, I looked over this one. It is exactly for what you described above. My next question would be then if you are using it as a negative and positive rule or just a positive rule? The rules are not mutually exclusive, so you will need to define each access level strictly for each level, not relying on any positive or negative rules you create in any other level.

The rules for the MENU to limit visibility is a blanket rule for that option. It will not allow you to restrict on a theme by theme or plugin by plugin basis. :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

HI Kimberly... Once again, thank you for your reply. I so very much appreciate the help!

More Backstory: There was an error in the database that Barry fixed for me, and there may be other errors in here that are keeping this from working as planned. I say that to explain that I may not be seeing things correctly.

That said....

Let us deal with one issue at a time, and set ProSites aside for a minute.

Regarding BLOG CREATION....

When I said that I had a Positive and Negative Rule, I was referring to the Membership Access Level that I have set up: a Positive Rule -- a user may create 1 blog, and a Negative Rule regarding the Dashboard Controls: appearance, plugins, Users... But now that I think about it, if I am settiing them up as SUBSCRIBERS on the main site -- because that's where the Membership plugin is activated, then maybe that Negative rule is redundant.... hmmmm....

Anyway... I want people to be able to sign up and create a blog by themselves.

the things that should work, don't seem to... So, maybe the question is:

If you have a Membership Plugin Access Level set to CREATE BLOG: can create 1 blog.... after they go through the payment steps, where are they to go to set up their blogs?

(This may be a basic question, but as things are not working, and there may be an error somewhere, it could be that I am doing the proper thing and it isn't working because something else is out of whack.....)

Thanks again and again!!!!

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

Now, if the answer is MY SITES on the dashboard, then my reply is: when I click on it, it takes me to my Become-A-Member page where the Membership plugin want me to subscribe again...

Now, could that be because that login is has a gateway of admin?

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

Barry.... After looking at ProSites, I had this thought:

Let me come at this from a different angle: What would it take for the BLOG CREATION rule to do what I need it to do?

And if it can't happen that way, what control do I have over the number of blogs a user can create?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Let me come at this from a different angle: What would it take for the BLOG CREATION rule to do what I need it to do?

Rewrite the sign-up and registration part of the Membership plugin. Sorry, to keep on, but the plugin isn't designed to do this and would require a lot of work to get it to do it.

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

I am sitting here nearly weeping. This is the one thing that is keeping this from going live in a BETA form: the ability to control the number of blogs a user can create....

I know that I have irritated you today, Barry, and for that I am sorry.

But I respectfully request, as a customer who loves your service and your product (especially YOUR membership plugin), that you rewrite your manual and the BLOG CREATION interface to reflect the fact that it does not let you control the number of blogs a user can create. I have been under a false impression for more than a year now.

And, because I need this solved ASAP, I shall search out other options to manage membership in the way I need.

I found a plugin for limiting blog creation, but the Membership plugin still defaults to the subscription page when I click on Create New Site....

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I know that I have irritated you today, Barry, and for that I am sorry.

You haven't, honestly.

that you rewrite your manual and the BLOG CREATION interface to reflect the fact that it does not let you control the number of blogs a user can create.

The membership plugin is designed to protect content on a website and allow you to create sites like izzyvideo.com pro.gigaom.com. It is not designed to function as a system to allow users to create blogs. We have another plugin to do that and it's called pro-sites. That plugin is specifically designed to handle that business model.

There is no overlap between the two plugins as each is designed to handle a different business model and each handles that model really well.

I'll ask Tim to remove that part of the manual, and the blog creation rule has been removed from the plugin for the next update.

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

So there is no way to control the number of blogs a user can create then within your options here at WPMUDEV, because I can't seem to find a way in ProSites?

Or maybe I am missing something in the ProSites.....

This is really too bad -- a wasted year of work on the wrong belief --- because it would have been Awesome if it had worked as the manual said it did. And I encourage you all to consider my request, I cannot imagine I am the only one who needs this kind of control.

One last question here: do you have any suggestions or recommendations for a plugin or membership type plugin out there in the WP universe that would do what I would like.

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

I loaded it -- that's the one I meant earlier in this thread... but I didn't test it with ProSites.... I guess I will...

The thing I didn't like about ProSites is the the registration steps are backwards... meaning:

1) register a new account .
    2) get an email to confirm it.
    3) then go pay to activate it. (and I never did quite get that to work right.)
    3) then go set up a site....

It's not one continuous path. And considering the convenience that internet users are accustomed to, I am not sure if people who sign up to our site will like it.

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

You said: The membership plugin is designed to protect content on a website and allow you to create sites like izzyvideo.com pro.gigaom.com. It is not designed to function as a system to allow users to create blogs.

I really wish it were, and think it ought to be... it makes the most sense to figure out how to fold that functionality into it....

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

I don't even care, really about the creating more than one blog option. I would settle for being able to create 1..... but it has to be easy or people won't do it.... and then I will end up with a whole heap of incomplete signups.....

I thought this was going to work, and now I am not so sure.... it's quite disheartening.

I think it's time to start drinking.... Margarita's anyone?

• CB
    • Flash Drive

@stephanie - I'm in a similar situation - looking at membership and pro-sites and the ability for members to create blogs themselves.

I don't even care, really about the creating more than one blog option. I would settle for being able to create 1..... but it has to be easy or people won't do it.... and then I will end up with a whole heap of incomplete signups.....

You mentioned you're using BuddyPress. Right now, I'm playing around with the BuddyPress Groupblog plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-groupblog/ . WPMU DEV membership plugin gives us the ability to control access to BuddyPress groups. Once a paid member is able to create a group, they can create a blog using bp-groupblog. (There's an option so that the blog submenu in the group links directly to their blog, as opposed to displaying blog posts within your buddypress theme.) I haven't played around yet to see what those sub blogs are like and whether you can get pro sites running on them. I see an old thread about membership supporter add-on (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-plugin-where-did-the-supporter-addon-go), but haven't had a chance to play with it yet (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-supporter-integration-addon-v01a)

Not sure if this gives you another lead towards finding a solution, but good luck!

• stephanie
    • Flash Drive

My apologies for not responding on this for the last few months.

Long story short:

the plug in DOES work like it says it does. It does allow members to create their own sites and DOES control the number of them allowed (as per the subscription level they are assigned to)

What doesn't work is the link -- CREATE A NEW SITE -- off the MY SITES page from the dashboard/

But... on the Buddypress admin bar, under the MY SITES drop down menu, where it says CREATE A SITE!, it DOES work.

I will review the last reply and respond to the information in a bit.

In the meantime, thank you ALL for your support on this, most especially Mason!

More later!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.