Membership and/or Buddypress?

I am creating a site with members only specific content. I also want to use all of the tasty options available with BuddyPress. Is there a way for people to register to become a (free) member to get access to membership content and also be registered with BuddyPress at the same time?

Or is this a really silly question? Any input would be lovely!

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @camparoo.

First, I'm curious why you would want to use both Membership AND BuddyPress? Do you need extra security for hidden pages beyond what BuddyPress can provide?

You can hide most if not all pages with BuddyPress, so I'm curious about why you are considering both of these.

If you need the extra capabilities of membership, then hopefully someone else can help you with this. If not, then I'll find the BuddyPress plugin that I use to configure what pages are visible to everyone and which pages are hidden except to registered users. It works wonderfully well.

Thanks and looking forward to your responses.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• camparoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi James! What I think I am missing is sidebar specific info for all areas that is dependent on the user being a member, or not being a member. As in, members see one set of content and non-members see another.

Obviously, Membership provides simple widgets to specify who sees what, but I am not seeing the same option in BuddyPress.

Are there BuddyPress shortcodes for sidebar and body content that I am not aware of?

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @camparoo

Thanks for posting back.

Check out this plugin to see if it does what you want:

Buddypress Sidebar

It allows you to create customized sidebars and you can even associate specific sidebars with specific pages by utilizing the naming convention mentioned in the installation/usage instructions.

If this is not what you want, please post back. I'll look up how I did something similar to this on a homeowner's association website from a few months back.

Thanks again for posting back - it really helps everyone help get you to a conclusion.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Is there a way for people to register to become a (free) member to get access to membership content and also be registered with BuddyPress at the same time?

WordPress and BuddyPress share registration, so by default they access both.

With Membership you can protect content and features. You can also protect direct urls with URL Group.

So if you wanted a bbPress for example then you could protect profile pages, certain categories, etc, etc. The same for BuddyPress.

Obviously, Membership provides simple widgets to specify who sees what, but I am not seeing the same option in BuddyPress.

Are there BuddyPress shortcodes for sidebar and body content that I am not aware of?

Does James answer give what you need? Or were you looking for something else?

I guess I don't fully understand what you are looking for, sorry.

Take care.

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Hey @Timothy

I wasn't fully sure either, so I just "winged it" hoping what I mentioned would work fine.

Also, thanks for confirming that Membership and BuddyPress share the registration information. They ALL share the WP registration section don't they? I know that BP and WP seem to.

Take care and have a great Sunday.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Pretty much.

Imagine WordPress as more of a framework, plugins and themes extend that framework to make it do much more.

So WP handles the accounts, logging and all that. But plugins can change how that works as well. For example you could use some kind of LDAP implementation, this would then authentic the credentials differently.

Take care.

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks @Timothy

Some things "should" be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer on the scene, but occasionally, I get to thinking too deeply about something or I get on a tangent and miss the obvious.

Regardless, you've cleared this up for me - and hopefully for future visitors to this thread.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• camparoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Timothy, that is exactly the info I was looking for! I already use the custom-sidebars plugin, and the pages James described are only visible to members anyway, so that really didn't do what I was looking for.

So glad I don't have to choose one or the other, as both Membership and BuddyPress are such excellent toys! I thought this might be the case, but just wasn't sure.

Thanks all!

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Excellent, glad I could help :slight_smile:

There is 1 kind of exception:

Disable BuddyPress to WordPress profile syncing?

This is in:

Admin --> Network (if applicable) --> BuddyPress --> Settings.

This only affects something like the name but not Username because WP handles that.

If that sounds more confusing then forget I said it and just leave them syncing. lol.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.