membership area with course that could stand alone

Working setting up courses and events and a membership site.

I would like one level of members to pay to take a course or attend an event, while a higher level member gets those for free.

How do I set up this two ways to attend with a site using Membership?

Do I need two different paths for signup - one via a paywall and the other under membership?

Just want to design and setup the site efficiently.

thanks,

Fred

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Fred,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

I would like one level of members to pay to take a course or attend an event, while a higher level member gets those for free.

This is quite interesting, which plugin are you using for the events/courses pass, as currently I believe what will need to be done is have two pages with the events/courses, one for members and another for non-members, this way, non-members wouldn't have access to the free events, would that work for you? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• fms95032

Hi Jack, doing well today.

I'm looking at the Woothemes Sensei for the course. I'd really like to avoid setting up two courses - and was hoping that having two paths to them would provide a way.

Would it work to have a free membership level using Membership, then the course has it's own paywall. Then for the paid membership, have a coupon or direct access that bypasses the paywall? (preferred).

cheers,

Fred

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Fred,

Glad to hear your doing well today :slight_smile:

This is quite interesting, I see what you need to do, it's trying to sort out a way around to make it happen.

It may be the best way as you said, to have a free membership level and make the course have it's own Paywall and then have a premium membership subscription, but I believe for this, you'd have to provide a coupon for the premium members to use, to book the course, as currently unless you duplicate the course, the visitors will be blocked from accessing the course part if you base this on access levels, if that makes sense?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• fms95032

Ho about creating a membership level for each course - the problem comes in if I build more than about 3 or 4 courses if I have to create a membership level to permt adding additional courses.

Or, can Membership permit initially having one membership level, then adding and expanding existing membership to include second course - just add on more access while keeping old access?

I do not believe the course will be a linear progression - rather a listing of options that cold be done in most any order.

then have a superset membership that includes all the courses.

Say I have 3 courses, and they could be done in any order - that would be a level for each course and superset level for access to all three. Then how would Membership work if someone has course A and wanted to add course B - is simple to combine two levels or would that require another new level that has those two courses, which would be three more levels - then another for all three courses and still not a superset membership.

that is 6 levels just for courses and combinations, and even more with four or more course offerings.

Thoughts on how best to structure membership to handle this?

cheers,

Fred

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Fred,

I hope you are well today, thanks for the further information.

That's a good idea to add multiple subscriptions to one member and will work.

What you would do is have a new subscription they can sign up for, so each course would have it's own subscription with it's own rules for that.
    Now these can indeed be combined for multiple users, so a user could sign up for course A and sign up for Course B and Course C, that would all work, but you must make sure the rules don't overlap, i.e if a user has access to page D on course A, don't then give that same access to the Course B as that will cause a conflict.

The user would add the new subscription from the sign up form and not the upgrade page as well, if that makes sense?

And you could then have one subscription with all the courses in, which would be defined by the access levels.

I hope that all makes sense :slight_smile:

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• fms95032

If I have it right the access to instructions or thanks for taking the course and here are others, etc. if tied to the rules of the course signup - if pointed to from more than one course would create a problem.

So, if in the free membership level it includes directions, generic welcome, and the like pages - and if they are signed up for course A and B, they would be fine - if the course a and b provide unique sets of pages/posts for each course and from free membership posts/pages.

right?

Fred

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Fred,

Yes that would be correct, they would need one subscription with the pages/instructions then they apply another subscription for Course A and then another for Course B but those subscriptions don't have the pages and instructions as they already belong to the other subscription, so the later subscriptions don't need the access levels/rules for the pages/instructions :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• BePresence

Hi Guys I hope you are doing great..

This is what I would like to accomplish...

I also have several courses, I would like for each course to drip feed. I also have conferences that they will have access immediately, no drip feed, everything at once.

As I understood in previous posts I need to create a standalone subscriptions for each course.

But can they use the same username and password or do they need to create a different username and password for every course they buy?

What I would also like to know is if people that buy courses have access to a page with all the purchase history and links to those purchases.

What I mean is if every time they buy a product they will see their list of products increased or do they need to create an account for each product.

Thanks for your time

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.