Membership & Buddypress Compatibility

I was informed that the registration pages for Buddypress and Membership are not compatible. I thought they (along with the Directory) would seamlessly integrate, but they do not. Any documentation where I can find help on making these items work together? Thanks!

• Paul Barthmaier

Thank you for starting this discussion and creating the opportunity to explain what I was only able to hint at last night during the chat session. Comparability may be too strong of a word because all three are functionally compatible, but they present different challenges based on their association with one another. Theming, which is different than the functional aspect that plugins bring to Wordpress. The plugins can work together and do the things you like, but they might not be laid out in the way you like.

Buddypress-Directory Buddypress has a default theme that takes into account the separate modules that it brings to an installation, ie for Activity Stream, Groups, Forums and Members. Likewise, Directory, too, has its own default theme for displaying its functionality in a optimal way. When the two are brought together on a single site, accommodations need to be made for one or both, depending on the theme that is ultimately selected. This is why I said I like to have them on separate subsites of a multisite installation, ie so you can choose the best theme for each.

For Buddypress with Membership, it is necessary to specify registration pages for both plugins, but they cannot be the same page. If they are, Buddypress will tak over the registration process and you will never see you access levels nor subscription pages. It's best to create one for each and then in your links or menus, point to the Membership page for proper integration. Another thing to consider is your Buddypress Profile information. On sites without membership, you have the chance to collect profile info from users, something for which there is no native integration. However, there are ways to incorporate.

So I guess I'm saying, while they are compatible, there are just different issues that need to be addressed.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Paul

Need multiple downloads for MarketPress products? No worries!: http://goo.gl/vrdWx

• April

Thanks for the reply. My goal with listings was to have members pay for a membership, but get a free listing included with their membership...so now I'm using something else for the time being.

Regarding Membership+Buddypress.... I've changed the page names so that Buddypress doesn't have that conflicting register page. However, I've had a few people test it all out and eve though they register and pay - they're unable to see the protected content.

I'll keep plugging away at it!

• Mike

Hi @April

We're just doing a little housekeeping to see if we have dropped the ball anywhere. We haven't replied here for over 6 months which is obviously not good enough. And I apologise for that.

Do you still have this issue? I've sent you an email in case you don't get a notification that I've replied here, and I have also re-activated your account for a week to give you chance to get assistance if it's still required.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.