Membership - Can you have both drip content and regular membership site?

When setting up a membership site, you must choose what type you want. Can you have more then one type? Or must you choose just one?

If you wanted another, and you have a multisite network, you could have one as a drip content for courses or newsletters, and then set up another sub-site for a regular membership site.

Which is it?

Thanks,
Tom

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tom,

Yes, you can do both. That's what the advanced option would be for. That allows you to just go ahead and setup all the settings yourself :slight_smile:

Dripped content is just a subscription plan with several access levels one after the other. So you set 1 access level to expire in 30 days and have the next access level (new content/next course etc.) lined up right after it so they now get that access.

Standard Membership you would set up a subscription plan that gives you access to certain content for 30 days or whatever period you choose then it ends or renews at the same level.

you could have one as a drip content for courses or newsletters, and then set up another sub-site for a regular membership site.

You can do this as well and for organizational purposes it might make more sense. Would ensure you don't have any conflicts between the dripped and standard content levels.

Hope that helps!

Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. Not sure if you have seen the video tutorial yet, but it's awesome and a great resource to reference! This and the pdf manual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmGpalbUyU&feature=share&list=PLV1BcivFAIdtF4p7CYVfMbVAJ4JQ1Rpe9

PDF: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Membership-Manual3450.pdf

• Director98248

Thanks. That was very helpful. It's got some wheels a turnin in my mind.

I am setting up a community site, with wpmu multisites and buddypress. Would like to offer free sites, and paid upgrades with Pro Site. Setting up a sub-site as a "Membership" site for both the free users and the paid.

Is it possible, to set things up, so both are automatically signed up as members of the membership site, when they sign up for a sub-site?

If yes, then can the first level in the membership site, be set to be the free level, and ALL be placed in it. This is where I want to place the instruction videos, for everyone, and some general information, I want all users to have access to it.

Thanks,
    Tom

• aristath

Hello again @Director98248,

Is it possible, to set things up, so both are automatically signed up as members of the membership site, when they sign up for a sub-site?

I'm afraid not. The Membership plugin when installed on multisites works on a per-site basis, not network-wide. Each site is completely independent and there's no communication between them!
    If you create a membership site on your multisite then users will have to manually subscribe to it.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Director98248

Okay. That makes sense. I am trying to think through everything, and see all the options ect. First for myself, and also to write an article on it. Sharing the problems and their solutions, when I run into anything.

What if, it is used just on a single wp install, OR, on the root domain site, for a multisite network? Then it would not be a sub-site, but just one section of that site? Then can that be set up?

This way, EVERY, new user, whether free or paid, would be automatically signed up when creating a site.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Tom

• Tyler Postle

Hey again Tom!

This could work but the only issue here is that Membership and Pro Sites conflict because Membership tries to take over the registration. It is best to have Membership on a subsite if you're going to use Pro Sites - this way you avoid all the possible conflicts.

What you could do now is as part of the signup, give them a link directly to the subscription page in your membership subsite. This way, all they have to do is click the link then press the "sign-up" button. You use shortcodes so the only possible membership to sign up for is the free one.

You could even just put the subscribe link directly in the welcome email so all they have to do is click it and they'll be subscribed as soon as they land on the page :slight_smile: the subscription link would look like this: http://subsite.yourdoamin.com/register/?action=registeruser&subscription=1

Hope that helps! Let us know if you still need further assistance on this.

All the best,
      Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.