Membership Communications not being sent

Basically exactly what the subject line says - this is the last outstanding item before site is ready to go live:

http://heartsandlaserbeams.com/dev/jflem

See attached for screengrab... They used to send as of 3/17 but welcome message and the one we set up to remind folks that didn't hook up paypal to come back and do so aren't going out anymore.

Set up SMTP email plugin in hopes that would help and tested again this morning, no dice.

The weird thing is when I hover over each message and click "send me", they do send out to me immediately.

HALP!

Thanks guys.
steph

• Vaughan

Hi Steph,

Not sure why they would suddenly stop working, have you changed server or has your webhost updated anything lately?

The emails are scheduled via WP_CRON so it could be that the cronjob isn't firing.

Could you possibly try disabling the WP_CRON and using a manual cronjob via your CPanel?

This thread should hopefully get you going.

https://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/technical/wordpress/how-to-replace-wordpress-cron-with-a-real-cron-job

Hope this helps

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey @Steph Calvert,

I hope you're doing well!

The issue might be a result of two possible reasons I think: one is related to the cron jobs (as Vaughan suggested previously) and one is related to the mailing functions itself. I'd like to find out a few things though:

1) How did you setup an external (cPanel's) cron job, can you please post a command used?
    2) Can you please enable support access to this site so I could take a closer look?

To enable support access go to your dashboard's "WPMU DEV" -> "Support" page -> "Support" tab and click "Grant access" blue button. Please be sure to take a full backup copy of the site first and let me know when you're ready.

Regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Steph,

I hope you're doing well!

Your cron configuration looks fine at first glance. If it still doesn't work however you may want to change it a bit. Could you please (assuming that cUrl is enabled on your server) use this command instead of "wget"?

curl http://example.com/wp-cron.php > /dev/null 2>&1

Also make sure please that you've disabled the WP Cron in wp-config.php file (as described in Vaughan's link).

Let me know if it helped.

Regards,
    Adam

• Steph Calvert

This is totally bizarre - when I logged into my webmail for the test account I had set up the when I had contacted you, there were two welcome emails sitting there. From 3/24 when I had told you the site wasn't sending welcome emails. And the time stamp looks correct, but I promise you they weren't there when I contacted you.

So I undid the cron stuff since that was working previously apparently. But now when I set up a paid account, and I set up my paypal, and get a success message that I've set up recurring payments, paypal isn't talking to the site and telling the site that I'm a paid member, and isn't letting me see the videos on the site.

And since it's not registering that I set up with a paid account, I haven't gotten the welcome email.

HALP!

Thanks guys.
    steph

• Steph Calvert

When I use my teststeph3 login/pass, which is the test acct I just set up as a paid acct with paypal hooked up, and I go to the my account page, and click on add videos, it tells me here:

http://heartsandlaserbeams.com/dev/jflem/subscriptions/

that I'm still a free member. And when I click the unsubscribe from paypal button on that page, it brings me to the paypal page to unhook my monthly payments, which says to me that did in fact go through, it's just not talking to the site.

Confirming that the paypal account that receives the payments does have IPN settings enabled with the correct link, and then checking the back end of the site is indeed hooked up with the correct paypal id and is set to correct paypal gateway. This was working before, what happened to make it stop?

Thanks,
    steph

• Steph Calvert

Just touching base on this, as I'm trying to wrap up this site build and get it live.

I had put the cron back to where it was because it looked like messages had sent after all, and the paypal hookup seemed to stop talking to the website since I added the custom cron job. But now paypal's not talking to the site (leaving a member that set up a paypal acct on their membership at the free status), and it's also not sending membership messages.

The first time I reached out to you guys on this was 3/24, and client would really like a solve so we can go live.

Thanks much,
    steph

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Steph,

I hope you're well today!

I know that's taking a while but it seems like we're dealing with quite a complex issue here. I'm sure though that we'll solve it :slight_smile:

This is totally bizarre - when I logged into my webmail for the test account I had set up the when I had contacted you, there were two welcome emails sitting there. From 3/24 when I had told you the site wasn't sending welcome emails. And the time stamp looks correct, but I promise you they weren't there when I contacted you.

This is something new and most likely very important. It makes me suspect that the issue isn't related to the Membership Pro plugin at all! Rather than that, it seems like a typical DNS misconfiguration related to the SPF record.

According to Wikipedia: "Sender Policy Framework (SPF) is a simple email validation system designed to detect email spoofing by providing a mechanism to allow receiving mail exchangers to check that incoming mail from a domain is being sent from a host authorized by that domain's administrators".

I can see a few possibilities here:

- hosting provider has changed the SPF rules to more strict
    - there were some changes made in your domain's configuration (not necessarily done by you)
    - server's IP has changed

There might be also some other factors causing problems with SPF record. What's crucial here, is the fact that such a behavior of mail exchange system (on servers) as you described is usually typical manifestation of the SPF issue. I've experienced that exact issue myself a few times.

That being said, I think you should ask your hosting provider's support team to check this, unless you're running your own server.

As for the PayPal issue - did it started right after you've changed those cron job's (as suggested in Vaughan's post or mine) and does PayPal report any errors? Please advise.

Regards,
    Adam

• Steph Calvert

Hey there!

I'm still digging on this, and client's getting antsy to go live. Thank you so much for continued support on this issue.

Just got done with a lengthy live chat with bluehost, and he sent me to this link:

https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/206

And had me install the plugin mentioned at the end of the page. I tried it, and no dice. I truly think this is something tied to the plugin and/or paypal - currently when I sign up for a test account and hook up paypal, when I come back to the site it doesn't look like it's registered. Last month when the paypal hookup was working, there was a little lag when you'd come back to the site, but then it'd realize that you'd paid and give you access to the video content. Now when you come back, even 10 minutes later you can't get into the video content. Looking at the backend of the site, the test account that just set up paypal payment is still set to free account status.

And email not getting sent makes sense in that scenario because first email doesn't go until they are paid status. But then, when I tested this the other day and let the test account sit at free account status, they also didn't get the "you forgot to hook up paypal" message they were supposed to receive.

So paypal hookup isn't working and membership messages aren't sending.

I'm not sure where to see paypal errors - I'm clicking around and where should I be looking? I'm checking out the ipn history and today I tried to set up test account 2 times and cancelled 2 times... Out of 4 ipns 2 have html code 200 and 2 still say queued.

I'm at a loss guys and this has been an ongoing issue for almost a month. Client really needs this ironed out so we can push her site live and I have no idea where to begin on it.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Steph,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for all your patience here :slight_smile:

The "you forgot to hookup PayPal" email is the one illustrated in your original post called "Just checking in with you" right? That email should only go out 1 day after the membership is actually paid for and activated. However, your memberships aren't being activated - which is why that email isn't sending.

So the issue here seems to just be that the Memberships aren't be activated after payment, does that sound right?

Either way, more than happy to help out here :slight_smile:

Would you mind if I tested your site out with my own PayPal sandbox credentials? This allows me to test a lot more efficiently without needing to ask you what the PayPal end results look like.

My tests may involve deactivating and re-activating plugins and also temporarily swapping themes, I'll put everything back to how I found it when I'm done though :slight_smile: it's still a really good idea to do a backup first just to be on the safe side.

If everything above sounds good to you then could you send me your FTP and WP login through our private contact form so I can begin troubleshooting? https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Look forward to hearing back Steph! Talk to you soon.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Steph Calvert

Just a heads up, discovered another facet of this problem that needs attention - sent you guys an email... Recording here for posterity.

Discovered part of the membership communication problem is hooked in with the smtp plugin I'm trying to use. When box is checked to send system emails via wordpress php, everything operates as it should. When box is checked to send system emails via smtp (even when settings are confirmed correct and smtp test message comes through no prob), membership functionality breaks down. Paypal doesn't talk to the site and give new paid member access to paid areas, membership communications don't send out. When box is changed back to send system messages via php, everything works again.

Would like to be able to send messages via smtp so they go out quicker, hoping there's a solution to that.

Thanks for all your input!
    steph

• Tyler Postle

Hey Steph,

Hope you're doing well today!

I got your email messages, thanks for the detail :slight_smile:

I just tested your site with my mandrill API Key and it worked without any issues.

Have you copied and pasted the API key from the SMTP settings? You will see it here when logged in:

I've attached a screenshot to illustrate.

I copied mine from there into your install and then did a test email and it delivered as expected. You shouldn't have to change any other settings.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.