Membership Configuration

I'd like to get clear on how I should be setting up the membership plugin.
Here's how I want it to work...

Multi-site acting as one content network
one membership point that controls access to entire network

To install and configure, how do I:
- Install to mu-plugins or plugins?
- change the Global tables system in membership-config.php?
- Define the blog to be the Membership control point defined...i.e. blogid=40 not blogid=1

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Paul

• Barry

Install to mu-plugins or plugins?

Either will work - if your users are not going to see the plugins.php page in the admin area, then I tend to install in the standard plugins directory and activate site-wide.

change the Global tables system in membership-config.php?

If you want the same levels and subscriptions to be available across multiple sites/blogs then you will need to enable global tables, otherwise each site/blog will maintain it's own set of levels and subscriptions.

You will need to take some time to plan this, and determine at what level you are controlling content - as each site/blog will have different posts you won't be able to use that rule across all of the sites.

Define the blog to be the Membership control point defined...i.e. blogid=40 not blogid=1

Not sure what you mean here.

• member1

thanks for the reply Barry.

You will need to take some time to plan this, and determine at what level you are controlling content - as each site/blog will have different posts you won't be able to use that rule across all of the sites.

We are ensuring that the same major categories and tags will be used within each blog of the site, so that we can control access to them and display posts from the same categories on sitewide archive pages.
    Can you explain further your ideas on how to manage this? If there is another solution that fits in better, then now is the time for us to consider it.

Define the blog to be the Membership control point defined...i.e. blogid=40 not blogid=1

We just want handle all our centralised 'membership' pages through our membership.oursite.com blog. It gives us the flexibility to focus everything on these pages around building our membership and promoting the benefits. As I understand it (?) the pages created by 'membership plugin default to the root blog of the network. We'd like the flexibility to define which blogid this happens on. (hope that explains it better)

thanks for your time Barry. Its a great plugin.
    Paul

• Barry

As I understand it (?) the pages created by 'membership plugin default to the root blog of the network.

No, they default to the blog you create them on - so the site you create your registration page on is the ones that will be used - if you create all your membership information on a single blog and then point everything to it then (such as in adverts, links etc..) then the registrations will take place in that one.

It's designed to work on any blog/site in a ms-network so there isn't any setting to use the main (or any other blog).

• member1

I just struck the hurdle of membership levels not being created.

I've set membership-config to:
    // Use a global table system - experimental
    define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', true);

I saw from this post that tables in the database need to look like this:
    wp_m_membership_levels
    But I'm seeing the 'blog level' tables only - although I can't browse the membership levels - i.e. the browse icon in phpmyadmin is shaded out.

I'm using 1.0.2 version

thanks for your help

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.