Membership conflict with theme

Hi,

I have been working for weeks on a client's site for a healthy eating course. I have the site set up so that all the content is grouped under categories so I can call the categories on different pages and assign those categories to different membership levels. I have everything set up and ready to go and turned on membership and have discovered that it seems to be breaking the shortcodes of the theme that I have used to create the site.

The site is called http://www.happyheartcourse.com and the front page below the video where it says More Information and Delicious Healthy Recipes, should show visitors a list of course information and some thumbnails of recipes (as specified in the shortcodes), instead it just shows all the categories that are assigned to the Visitor level in membership ignoring the category specified. Also, when you click on the thumbnails (to the FAQ page for example) it takes you to the Private page even though the FAQ page is definitely assigned to the Visitor level.

I have tried adding the shortcodes to the Visitor level but beyond this I'm stumped. As soon as I turn membership off the category shortcodes work so I know that they are not the problem, there must be some conflict.

Please help!

Claire

• gingerpixel
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid that's not it, I don't have any shortcode plugins, the shortcodes that I'm using are all part of the theme. I've also tried deactivating the other plugins besides Membership but that didn't help.

• digitsoft
    • The Crimson Coder

I'd try out the theme, but it's commercial.

So let's start somewhere and address it one at a time...
    1. Try a different theme to ensure that those shortcodes do work as you expect
    2. Post a list of the shortcode(s) that are not displaying the content.
    3. Have you tried this theme and membership in a test install with only those 2 things involved?

• gingerpixel

Thanks!

I can't try number one simply because those shortcodes are specific to that theme so if I have another theme running those shortcodes won't work. The shortcodes that are involved are the [blog category] and [portfolio] tags, with the following parameters including the ones to call the category ids:

[blog category="18" images="true" show_date="false" paging="false" image_width="128" image_height="120" excerpt_length="33" author_link="no" comments_link="false"]

[portfolio category="9" paging="no" columns="3" content_width="450" title="no" excerpt="no" show_date=false author_link="no" posts_per_page="6" comments_link=false]

I will try number 3 now and let you know...

• gingerpixel

OK, just tried number 3, totally clean install of both theme and plugin with nothing else on the test site and recreated the set up with the same results: as soon as I activated membership the shortcodes went from only calling the posts from the category id specified and started calling all the posts assigned to the Visitor level. Also, clicking through to these posts that are assigned to the Visitor level brought up the protected content message.

By the way, I'd be happy to let you poke around inside the Wordpress site if you think that will help?

• digitsoft
    • The Crimson Coder

Since I don't own the theme you're stuck with finding another way to display what you want
    OR
    choosing between the theme and plugin.

Here's a plugin that may make displaying posts from a category easier than coding:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/list-category-posts/

Downside - uses a shortcode :wink:

There are plenty of plugins for displaying galleries, so that's an option.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I don't know what else to do at this point.

Rob

• digitsoft
    • The Crimson Coder

Personally I think it's far easier to go with another membership plugin than go through more design work and finding workarounds - just my 2 cents.

If you're up for another membership plugin, lmk and I'll make my $30 suggestion :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings gingerpixel,

I know this may sound off the wall but may I suggest you have your theme setup with no shortcodes, activate Membership plugin, and then add the shortcodes.

I have seen it work exactly this way for videos and the like and possibly it just might work too for your shortcodes.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• gingerpixel

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply. I have been testing your suggestion this morning and while it works to a degree, it's not consistent. I started on a test site with a clean up-to-date install of both theme and plugin and I set up and enabled membership first with levels and subscriptions in place. Next I created a category and assigned it to an access level and only after that I created a post and added it to that category. When I did this membership worked and that post was only visible to that level, however, any categories I create now and try to go through the same procedure don't get assigned and I'm taken to the private content page. Only the first category that I created works correctly. I can't see what I did differently that made the first category work but not any subsequent ones.

When I set up the shortcodes (I did this last of all), it gave me the same error as before, ie. rather than showing only the category specified it showed all the categories assigned to that level.

It's just all very unstable, I'm finding it hard to even replicate problems because sometimes it allows you into content, other times not. The frustrating thing is when I'm logged in as admin everything looks perfect. It's just when I'm logged in as a member with a specific access level that it all goes horribly wrong.

Claire

• gingerpixel

Right, I think I'm finally seeing through the fog on this one. First of all it is nothing to do with the theme that I am using. It would seem that it was something to do with my having child categories rather than standalone categories. Another problem seems to come from trying to assign categories to the Positive rules. When I use the Negative rules it works a lot better. I may need to rethink the structure of my site a little bit to accommodate this but I'd prefer to do that then to start again.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to try and help me get to the bottom of this.

Claire

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.