Membership content protection and download links

I have a very straight forward site, 3 levels of users - so have set up 3 Access Levels and 3 Subscription plans - one for each level.

Upon registration, they are directed to the Welcome page - where they see a message thanking them for joining - and then a link to the Download page - which then has 3 chunks of code on it - wrapped by the various shortcodes for each level, with closing shortcode tags too.

1. How do I prevent the 'Welcome' page from being found by anyone trawling the site - i.e. non-registered users?
2. is there any functionality to users for requesting their password be emailed to them?
3. what is the normal procedure for providing a login screen for previously registered users? - As part of my Menu system on the website - I provide a 'Client Login' option which takes them to the "My Account" page - which is completely blank - unless they have logged in to the /wp-admin area with their account credentials - surely we don't send them to the back end to log into the front end?
4. if a user is registered as a level 3 user - the page that has the download links on it - they get to see the [level1] and [level2] messages as well - is this normal?

(Phew - more questions soon - this is enough for now - after reading the manual 4 times in 6 days, Im a tad confused.)

Thanks.

• mort3n

Hi webkiwi,

I'll try to answer some of your questions :slight_smile:

1) Set up a fourth Access level for Visitor. When you set up that level restrict access to the Welcome page and any other restricted pages.

Go to Membership->Options General tab and choose the Visitor level as the Stranger setting.

Make sure to go to Membership->Options Membership pages and pick a page for Protected Content.

2 + part 3) After registration, log in is handled by WP as usual e.g with login page wp-login.php. On that, users are given the option to request a new password.

You can customize the login page, embed the login form etc. in many ways. The WP plugin repository has a bunch of plugins for that. The WP Codex has descriptions of how to do it

http://codex.wordpress.org/Customizing_the_Login_Form

4) Check to see if your level 3 test user is also a Membership admin (Membership->Options Membership Admins tab). A Membership admin will see all shortcodes.

Hope this gets you started :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

• aecnu

Greetings webkiwi,

Thank you for the great questions.

1. How do I prevent the 'Welcome' page from being found by anyone trawling the site - i.e. non-registered users?

I always thought this page was protected by default is it not? What is its URL?

2. is there any functionality to users for requesting their password be emailed to them?

Logging in uses the regular WordPress core login in which has a password recovery feature. Best practice is to use something like the Custom WP Login Widget plugin which can offer a more pleasant and easily accessible logging in interface.

3. what is the normal procedure for providing a login screen for previously registered users? - As part of my Menu system on the website - I provide a 'Client Login' option which takes them to the "My Account" page - which is completely blank - unless they have logged in to the /wp-admin area with their account credentials - surely we don't send them to the back end to log into the front end?

This is indeed your option and as I mentioned in the immediately above post there are indeed several options there: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=login+widget&sort=

4. if a user is registered as a level 3 user - the page that has the download links on it - they get to see the [level1] and [level2] messages as well - is this normal?

No this is not normal and it appears that you are not following developing best practice of using two completely different browsers, one for developing i.e. Firefox and another for testing i.e. Chrome and dumping the cache and cookies in between each test.

Otherwise one gets mixed results due to the installation detecting the cookies of super admin or admin and rendering results relative to there level.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT week ahead!

Cheers, Joe

• webkiwi

1. URL to the welcome page - http://elaw.co.nz/welcome/
    1a. Yes, Strangers enabled - are set to Visitor level by default.
    1b. Protected content page: http://elaw.co.nz/services/protected/ - as I understand it this is the page that is shown if they try to access my 'downloads' page - which is here:
    http://elaw.co.nz/documents/ (I've enabled the Masked Downloads option and this is the URL - unsure how the masking component works.)

2. Resolved - I've installed the plugin, added it to my widget sidebar, configured it a wee bit and now working very well, thanks. :slight_smile:

3. resolved as per 2.

4. a clearing out of browser cache and using multiple browsers has narrowed this down further, for now, resolved until I get a chance to test it more.

So, to clarify, just point (1.) above - regarding the accessing/guessing of the urls for the download content and working functionality of the 'protected content' display page - can someone please explain these better than the manual.?

Thanks, Brendon

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.